Importing docs and keys with or without vehicle? And also 25 year rule (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of importing an HDJ80 from the Canary Islands. I wanted to see if anyone knew what the protocols were for sending the keys and registration. Are they simply stuffed in an envelope and put in the glove box? There are so many risks involved with this endeavour, I would like to know if there is a correct procedure.

Also, I know that the vehicle has to be 25 years old. It is a 1992 so that is not a problem, but talking to Customs, and depending on which person you are talking to, the 1967 law comes up every now and then and causes concerns. Anyone know if that has ever been a problem, or if the actual person helping me at the docks will know better? Is there something definitive I should have that explains the truck is compliant?

Good questions.

Not speaking from experience but I'd want to keep the original key with me and a spare with the rig.

Sounds like a cool rig! I've heard the Canary Islands are pretty gentle as far as rust. Correct?

Cheers

So far so good it seems. I will be documenting the whole procedure once it is done. It has been a lot of work. I did not want to post anything yet until the truck is in my driveway. But yes, so far the vehicles seem to be in excellent condition. The climate is arid so no rust problems. The people really seem to take care of the vehicles since it is a Spanish controlled island, therefore they have to be in good running condition and have yearly inspections. And since it is such a small place, the miles (km's) tend to be really low. If everything goes well, I cannot wait to introduce a very hard working, and very nice guy that is helping me with the whole complicated process.

Do not leave the registration with the vehicle. That should be sent directly to you by the current owner. Customs is not interested in the title/registration. Leave only one key with the vehicle during shipping. Nothing else should be in the vehicle that isn't part of the vehicle itself. No spare parts ect.

Excellent. Thanks. That is really what I was hoping to hear. I did not think of leaving one key in the car. I was wondering how they would get it around off the boat or if it would be towed everywhere. Good point on the other items too. The seller wanted to give me some other stuff but I told him we probably shouldn't for that reason. Any chance you know if we could wrap the parts up in an open box and have it placed in the container, or does anything else simply need to be shipped separately? It really is too bad. I could fit tons of stuff in that truck. Waste of shipping space.

That entirely depends on your shipping method. If you are doing RORO ,which is by far the cheapest, you are only allowed the vehicle and accessories directly related. IE.spare tire. If you are in fact container shipping, put anything in there that will fit to take up as much space as possible, otherwise,it's an extremely expensive shipment of dead space.

FYI- RORO needs the key so vehicle can be driven. Shipping an undrivable car would cost you a fair bit more. And, likely lead to some damage when they just drove a forklift under it and got it off their boat.

That is good news. I am shipping in a container and not RORO. Not what I heard though otherwise. I was under the impression that anything in the truck would get you busted as hell. I hope you are right. But I would want a little more confirmation. Got some good stuff coming if that's true. I am going to call the shipping company directly Monday and find out more. I will post here as soon as I find out.

If you are just shipping the single truck, RORO is vastly cheaper. I mean in the thousands of dollars cheaper. If you are getting a couple of trucks and stacks of parts, then I can understand the container.
Definitely talk to your shipper. I personally would never ship a single truck container. Just a huge waste of money. That shipping company is charging you for every square inch that container takes up on their vessel. I have always shipped singles as RORO

OK cool thanks. I am going to check. I am dealing with MSC and I was under the impression they only did containers. No RORO. I am going to check

Looks like shipping from the islands is only container. No RORO by any company unfortunately. But my shipping costs, everything included, is looking at around $3700. I am finding out more tomorrow.

Those would be your costs on the shipping end, then add the costs on the receiving end. If you're shipping by container, yes you can fill it with whatever you want but be sure to declare everything to customs so "the man" can get his cut. I always tape a key to the inside of the windshield and send the documents separately. Who's unloading the container? If you're using a drayage company on this end, they'd definitely need a car. If you're door-to-door and unloading yourself then it's no problem.

Yes, I plan on being there so I will take possession when it comes in. And I will be having the docs and keys sent directly to me after sale is complete. One spare will be in the car. Good idea about taping it to the windshield.

I hope someone can help me with this question directly from my seller in the islands. It was also a question I could not answer when I was doing the initial research on importing. Anyone who has information on this will really help me out. Here is the question from my seller:

"I know on their form it is the older than 25 year option and they are exempt and all looks perfect when you read the whole form. But, I read somewhere else that vehicles over 25 are exempt form DOT but if they are made after 1978 they still need to comply with US Bumper standards and after 1987 US antitheft standards.

Now to prove that it complies to these it said it must have a letter of conformity from Toyota, but on the form that is a different box for non conforming vehicles not yet 25...it is very contradicting so I really want to find the correct answer from them"

I read this and could not understand what they want from my 1991 diesel HDJ80

I would suggest you get a customs broker in the US. Are you filing an ISF? Has the shipper sent vehicles to the US before?

I do plan on filing ISF. And this is the shippers first time. He has been importing/exporting in Europe but not here. At first I was trying to avoid a broker, but the fees really aren't that bad. I am lookimg into them now. It will be worth the peace of mind.

You will most likely get a no-load without ISF & VGM on file. It would be worse if it got on the vessel without those, as you can get some pretty heavy fines then. Important thing to remember when filing everything, the country of origin is Japan. The COO doesn't change just because the shipment is now originating in the Canary Islands. Also, the 25 years exemption filing makes it exempt from your bumper & anti theft standards. It is exempt from DOT model year regulations.

Ah, very good advice. COO Japan. Thanks for that. We are working out the details now and I have found a broker who has been a big help.

Find Chris Spalding on this site.... He deals plenty with Cruisers from the Canaries, as I bought mine off of him and it was from there. Nicest guy and very honest and straight forward. I have a minor bit of rust on my rocker panel, but it doesn't affect structural integrity.

Thanks for the contact. I think I have everything ready to roll but if I have any issues, I will definitely get in touch. Did you follow the shipping route? Who did you use? RORO? We have not signed a shipper yet. We are looking at RORO from the CI's to Spain, then from there, RORO to Savannah GA.

Holy Crap! That shipping route map is actually kind of freaky. My truck will be one of those little dots any day now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom