DIY: Installing a Part-Time 4WD Transfer Case Spool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
Edit: Do I need to install a new race with the spool and bearing? Or can I use my old one?

I picked up a part-time 4WD transfer case spool from Cruiser Outfitters, and I'm installing it this weekend. I've reviewed several different sources for how to do the install. I'm just documenting my progress here, as well as any questions that I might have.

Converting HF2AV Transfer Case into Part Time Transfer Case

DIY Transfer Case Fluid Change How-To

First off, what's the best method to break the driveshaft bolts loose? Two long open-end-box-end 14mm wrenches?

Last edited:
This is not off to a good start

Lol, make sure those box wrenches have at least 12 pts.

I deserve that. Apologies, my stupid questions were due to a very long day.

Does the T-case need to be in neutral for the spool install? Center diff lock disengaged? Does it matter?

Last edited:
Lol, make sure those box wrenches have at least 12 pts.

I bought 2 6 point weenches for this. I didn't want to risk rounding these bolts. A wobbly 14mm 6 point on an extension with an impact will work too.

I'm finally tackling this project. I have the driveshaft bolts broken loose (which was my holdup back in March), and I'm about to remove my IPOR t-case skid so I can access the transfer case. Like I mentioned above, I'm following the 4WD Shed YouTube video.

At about the 22:00 mark, you can see that the mechanic installs the new spool after he pressed on the bearing, but does not install a new race. My kit from Cruiser Outfitters included a new race (I had them pre-install the bearing on the spool).

Do I have to install the new race with the new part-time spool and bearing? Or can I just use the old race in the aluminum housing?

B666-BB79-BC3-B-4-FD6-BD02-07841-E942-C33.jpg

I'd prefer not to have to pull the old race and install the new one, but I will if I have to.

I'm finally tackling this project. I have the driveshaft bolts broken loose (which was my holdup back in March), and I'm about to remove my IPOR t-case skid so I can access the transfer case. Like I mentioned above, I'm following the 4WD Shed YouTube video.

At about the 22:00 mark, you can see that the mechanic installs the new spool after he pressed on the bearing, but does not install a new race. My kit from Cruiser Outfitters included a new race (I had them pre-install the bearing on the spool).

Do I have to install the new race with the new part-time spool and bearing? Or can I just use the old race in the aluminum housing?

I'd prefer not to have to pull the old race and install the new one, but I will if I have to.

Personally, I would never use an old race with a new bearing.

I think that race just slides out of the housing anyway--not pressed in or anything hard. (I can't remember for sure, since I reused my old bearing)

Moving right along now!

22-C593-E1-5379-41-F4-A1-A4-A5-C556908591.jpg

Everytime you change bearing you change the race

Yessir. Roger that.

I think that race just slides out of the housing anyway--not pressed in or anything hard. (I can't remember for sure, since I reused my old bearing)

I hope you're right! We'll find out soon enough.

This is where I'm stopping for the evening. I've got the old spool off.

C2-A63-F1-B-80-F3-4-A62-B06-E-F3-AA26159-B2-A.jpg

I also realized why the YouTube mechanic above doesn't replace the spool - he swaps the old bearing onto the new part-time spool. So he's not using a new bearing and race, just a new spool.

At this point, I'm not sure what the advantage is of buying a new bearing from Cruiser Outfitters. You either have to swap the old bearing onto the new spool, or buy a new bearing/race and swap out the race. Either way you need a press. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Any input is appreciated.

At this point, I'm not sure what the advantage is of buying a new bearing from Cruiser Outfitters. You either have to swap the old bearing onto the new spool, or buy a new bearing/race and swap out the race. Either way you need a press. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Just seems like cheap insurance to go ahead and install a new bearing.

Placing the race in the freezer over night will help a little on install. I remember the first time I installed one I was just tapping it so freezing it helped. Now I just hit it harder. Also the Harbor Frieght bearing and race installer kit is well worth the money if you don’t have one. Brass drift is also a good thing to have.

This is where I'm stopping for the evening. I've got the old spool off.

C2-A63-F1-B-80-F3-4-A62-B06-E-F3-AA26159-B2-A.jpg

I also realized why the YouTube mechanic above doesn't replace the spool - he swaps the old bearing onto the new part-time spool. So he's not using a new bearing and race, just a new spool.

The advantage to buying a new bearing is if you dont have a 6" bearing spliter to remove the old bearing a new bearing is much cheaper;)

Another PT install linked below as I found the others confusing.:D 80 guys dont freak out because its a 100 series the tcase is exactly the same as it uses the same spool.
LOKKA Part Time on a 2006 LX470 - Transfercase spool installation

The advantage to buying a new bearing is if you dont have a 6" bearing spliter to remove the old bearing a new bearing is much cheaper;)

Another PT install linked below as I found the others confusing.:D 80 guys dont freak out because its a 100 series the tcase is exactly the same as it uses the same spool.
LOKKA Part Time on a 2006 LX470 - Transfercase spool installation

Thanks, Phil! Do you remove the viscous coupler when you part-time the case? Why or why not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom