VPR rear bumper for the 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The site mentioned that it just came out Feb 2018. Didn't hear too much about it but the price isn't too bad for a single swing out rear bumper.
Just wanted to see if anyone has heard about this bumper or is planning on buying one.

LAND CRUISER REAR BUMPER WITH TIRE CARRIER PT-045-C

They describe it as “strong enough for off road use@ ...and “light weight.”

Honestly, everything I've seen from VPR seems geared toward looks, and not particularly strong or rust resistant. If you don't wheel, and are prepared to prevent rust, go for it.

If you do wheel...at $2k, I’d suggest you talk to Jason (Trail Taylor), or one of these:
RLC rear tire carrier / swing out / jerry can / custom fab bumper
Both will serve you well and aren't crazy expensive.

Last edited:
@odinskind has some experience with this vendor VPR is building me a rear bumper. Does the 2013 have a factory trailer hitch?

As noted, Jason builds nice gear and there are other solutions out there, like Slee and ARB. One example at the higher end of the market for form function and price is Kaymar. Since Outback Proven left the market, Kaymar has been offering products on a direct basis from Australia, but shipping single items can get expensive when you include customs clearance and brokerage fees.

Kaymar Rear Bars, Spare Wheel Carriers, Jerrycan Holders & Accessories Landcruiser 200 GXL Sensors

If anyone is interested in Kaymar armor or accessories for any Series, we ship LRA fuel tanks from the same town in suburban Melbourne and can help get your order shipped/imported at reasonable cost. Georg @orangefj45 and I met with the owners at Kaymar while in Australia several weeks ago. Jenny and Rod are good folks and will take care of you. Cruiser Brothers is NOT taking orders or selling Kaymar, just offering to help with logistics.

Shoot them an email at sales@kaymar.com.au if you are interested. We have a container leaving around May 1.

The Kaymar is by far my favorite rear bumper, last quote I got from them was $3,368 for the bumper with wire harness and camera relocation kit and $1,250 for shipping.

At those prices though it makes it my least favorite bumper...

The Kaymar is by far my favorite rear bumper, last quote I got from them was $3,368 for the bumper with wire harness and camera relocation kit and $1,250 for shipping.[/user]
We have offered to ship via our containers for both orders and stock so Kaymar can have some on the "other side of the fence" including customs/brokerage/port fees. If everyone is patient, we can likely cut the shipping by over half.

We have offered to ship via our containers for both orders and stock so Kaymar can have some on the "other side of the fence" including customs/brokerage/port fees. If everyone is patient, we can likely cut the shipping by over half.

That would be awesome, like I said its my favorite rear bumper. Everyone's situation is different, for me $3,368 is too much money for a rear bumper.

That would be awesome, like I said its my favorite rear bumper. Everyone's situation is different, for me personally $3,368 is too much money for a rear bumper.
I hear ya. We don't judge (or sell armor), just helping out some friends in US with paid product on the ground in Lilydale.

Personal preference led to two 4x4Labs rear bumpers on an FJ62 and a BJ73, but I would be happy with Slee, Trail Tailor, Metal Tech, SSO and a bunch of other brands - including Kaymar - depending upon the need and application. We (Cruiser Brothers) are not taking sides, just talking logistics which is a big part of what we do in our business.

I’d put VPR somewhat on par with ARB or Dobinsons. They definitely would not hold up through extreme rocky 4 wheeling but do just fine otherwise.

I’ve not had major problems with rust and I beach drive every weekend. Although I do use the wash rack at work the day following a beach trip so the salt doesn’t sit. I’ve had small amounts of rust where metal becomes exposed from scratches or around hardware but it’s not bad and I brush it and paint with rustolium. I don’t have a swing out. Something I do regret but I’m probably going to fabricate one in the future. All in all I’m happy enough with my rear bumper that I’ve not thought about replacing it. I may replace the front bumper by trade or if I find a good deal but I’m not so dissatisfied with it that I’d drop a few grand and replace it.

I’d put VPR somewhat on par with ARB or Dobinsons. They definitely would not hold up through extreme rocky 4 wheeling but do just fine otherwise.

I’ve not had major problems with rust and I beach drive every weekend. Although I do use the wash rack at work the day following a beach trip so the salt doesn’t sit. I’ve had small amounts of rust where metal becomes exposed from scratches or around hardware but it’s not bad and I brush it and paint with rustolium. I don’t have a swing out. Something I do regret but I’m probably going to fabricate one in the future. All in all I’m happy enough with my rear bumper that I’ve not thought about replacing it. I may replace the front bumper by trade or if I find a good deal but I’m not so dissatisfied with it that I’d drop a few grand and replace it.

What would u consider extreme rocky wheeling? If it’s up there with ARB it can’t be All bad right? Would u mind elaborating on the weak points of the bumper?

What would u consider extreme rocky wheeling? If it’s up there with ARB it can’t be All bad right? Would u mind elaborating on the weak points of the bumper?

I don't mean to bag on VPR or ARB, but members here have seen failures on the ARB rear bumper wings, and I've seen it first hand. Many members have also done fine with them. Strength is always a matter of degree, so its not a question of is it crap. To me it's a question of adequate strength for my terrain choices. I tend to end up in situations where hard drops are likely, so it matters more to me. I have plenty of other ARB products, so no weird bias here... I just would not want to drop my heavy rig onto the ARB rear wings. ARB front bumpers/bull bars are plenty strong, but if you plan to regularly hit the rear hard, IMHO, I'd look to a Slee, Trail Tailor or others.

Last edited:
I don't mean to bag on VPR or ARB, but members here have seen failures on the ARB rear bumper wings. Just not super strong. I would not want to drop my heavy rig onto the ARB rear. ARB front bumpers/bull bars are plenty strong, but if you plan to regularly hit the rear hard, IMHO, I'd look to a Slee, Trail Tailor or others.
Thanks for sharing!

I don't mean to bag on VPR or ARB, but members here have seen failures on the ARB rear bumper wings, and I've seen it first hand. Many members have also done fine with them. Strength is always a matter of degree, so its not a question of is it crap. To me it's a question of adequate strength for my terrain choices. I tend to end up in situations where hard drops are likely, so it matters more to me. I have plenty of other ARB products, so no weird bias here... I just would not want to drop my heavy rig onto the ARB rear wings. ARB front bumpers/bull bars are plenty strong, but if you plan to regularly hit the rear hard, IMHO, I'd look to a Slee, Trail Tailor or others.

Yup the wings on the VPR rear bumper is equally weak. I’ve seen both the arb and VPR bumper side by side and they are both very similar structurally. It works for me but I’m also never going to any rock crawling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom