TPS Sensors - Reset (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got 9 years so far on all 5 of the TPMS sensors on my GX, so hopefully I'll make 10 years. I have a German car too, and all of its 4 sensors had to be replaced within 6 years. Supposedly those are only rated for 5 years. :poop:

So far my SLK has the original ones in it and its 6 years old, knock on wood

even with me having a light on, that is before I did the disconnect of the light and discount tire telling me that 2 of the sensors where bad.
So this is the information that my iData Maestro is giving me, yes my pressures are high, I like it that way

IMG_1393.jpg

FYI, I just had our Prius to the tire shop the other day to fix a bad sensor. It was $80 to replace one! I don't plan to spend another $300+ each time I get tires on something that is "informational"... I'll fix em as they die.

They're charging you $80 because they have to remove the tire from the rim to replace the sensor, then remount and re-balance. The sensor part cost is not that high. I think they run about $15 to $20. So if they're replacing the tires, the cost of unmounting, remount, and rebalance would be part of the tire replacement, and the incremental cost shouldn't be $300.

Just rotated tires and I rotate the spare in, good readings on all 4

Just rotated tires and I rotate the spare in, good readings on all 4
Hey Bruce, what head unit do you have I would love to be able to remove my scanguage and just use the head unit for all the functions. What else does it read?

P.S. Are you going to come to the NM Travel Expo at REI tomorrow? I would love to meet you in person and check out your GX.

I have a pioneer 8200nex, it reads almost everything, except trans temp. But it gives the tire pressure readout in PSI
the iData was programed for a 4runner

I would like to, but got too much going on here to get away

even with me having a light on, that is before I did the disconnect of the light and discount tire telling me that 2 of the sensors where bad.
So this is the information that my iData Maestro is giving me, yes my pressures are high, I like it that way

View attachment 1645172

Some TPMS scan tools/programmers can display the strength of the battery in the individual sensors, air temperature, serial number, and of course air pressure. :wrench: (while not physically connected to the car)

It doesn't appear to -- it specifically asks for the sensor ID when you run through setup.

I dunno...

Like you said earlier, the sensor might have gotten damaged. (I'd go with this..)

Could also be that that the sensor battery is low, or the sensor ID mysteriously got dropped from the ECU.

Some tire machines (and operators) are not made for all types of wheels.

A tire shop that offers Road Force balancing, 'typically' has very good tire service/equipment. (my experience)

Well, just to follow up on this issue. I now have all 5 sensors mounted with new wheels and tires and pressure set to 39psi. Tried holding the button under the dash for 30 seconds with no luck. So that YouTube video didn’t work in my case.

Screw it, going wheeling today so will be airing down anyway :hillbilly:

I had similar issues. Two shops wanted to replace all 5 sensors to “see” if it would fix it. I decided to disable the system and keep a gauge in the glove box.

I found this in the owner's manual.. {Who woulda thunk, really....:poop::rolleyes:?}

The use of non−genuine wheels will
cause the air pressure sensors to
transmit the electronic code in different
manner, resulting in the system
failure.
The use of different type of tires
with genuine wheels may also
cause the malfunction of the system.

{I swapped in the same wheels as OP (but for the Tacoma), so non−genuine wheels should not be an issue}

Last edited:
I also found this...

TPMS reset

1) Park vehicle
2) Check and adjust pressure to specified cold tire inflation level (driver's door label...don't forget the spare)
3) Turn ignition 'on'
4) Push and hold TPMS switch until TPMS warning light blinks 3 times
5) Wait a few minutes with the ignition 'on' and turn the ignition 'off'

Some TPMS scan tools/programmers can display the strength of the battery in the individual sensors, air temperature, serial number, and of course air pressure. :wrench: (while not physically connected to the car)
I can get PSI and temperatures reading

So an update on my TPMS issue. I had trouble airing up two of my tires at a crappy gas station air hose. So I thought there was an issue with the stem. So I pulled into Discount Tire for a Free air check and they were able to get my two tires aired up no problem.

I talked to the guy about my issue with the sensors when I switched wheels and tires. So he went in and grabbed the scanner and checked my four wheels and confirmed two were not sending a signal. He said just removing them and messing with them probably was the last life for the batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom