Remanufactured CV axle shaft vs. New OEM CV axle shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’m trying to figure out the brass tack info on all the CV axles out there. I purchased a pair of Remanufactured CV axle shafts for my 99 uzj100.
I was under the impression that these refab axles from NAPA and other parts stores are selling rebuilt TOYOTA cv axles...is this not the case?
Are OEM Toyota CV axle shafts just worth the extra money?
Or are rebuilt axle shafts from Napa ect. going to do me just fine on the road and trail??
Thanks everyone!

Some have reported problems with aftermarket axles. I had a rip on my DS and replaced with NAPA like 5 months ago. I have done off-road and been on a 3 hour trip with no issues so far.

they may or may not be Toyota cores when you get a reman axle, they just rebuild whatever comes in. they can be ok but you may have vibration issues from the axles as some times they are just not quite the right length, either just too long or just too short. not enough that the truck wont drive, it just can cause a vibration. if you going through the trouble of replacing why not just reboot or rebuild yourself, its not that much harder and the axles are already out.

My new OEM didn't work any better than the $65 one I bought on Amazon. That's not the norm it seems, but my cheap one has been on here a year now and it's fine. The OEM one lasted about 3 months. I rebuilt it and it's just sitting on the shelf waiting just in case.

I tend to believe that unless you are buying brand new, even Toyota reman CV's are going to be done by a mass market rebuilder, and no matter what "brand" the reman's are you can get a bad one.

they may or may not be Toyota cores when you get a reman axle, they just rebuild whatever comes in. they can be ok but you may have vibration issues from the axles as some times they are just not quite the right length, either just too long or just too short. not enough that the truck wont drive, it just can cause a vibration. if you going through the trouble of replacing why not just reboot or rebuild yourself, its not that much harder and the axles are already out.
Hmm I guess I never considered remanufactured axles not from Toyota.
Either way I’ve had mine in for monrths now on both driver and passenger side with no issues at all so far.
I wonder if the reman axles are the same grade of steel/metal?

Never really considered rebuilding my own axles but in all honesty after ripping my truck apart so many times now it probably wouldn’t be all that difficult.
Thanks for the info. Cheers!

My new OEM didn't work any better than the $65 one I bought on Amazon. That's not the norm it seems, but my cheap one has been on here a year now and it's fine. The OEM one lasted about 3 months. I rebuilt it and it's just sitting on the shelf waiting just in case.
Haha that’s what I like to hear! Reman is by far the most common replacements on the road and minus core chore was o my $70 per side. New OEM axle shafts are $403 a piece. (the cheapest I could find)

Haha that’s what I like to hear! Reman is by far the most common replacements on the road and minus core chore was o my $70 per side. New OEM axle shafts are $403 a piece. (the cheapest I could find)

Yeah I was disappointed to say the least. It was a lot of money that didn't give me any better performance than the cheapest one I could put on which I expected to just get me by. So now I have this fancy $400 axle collecting dust.

Yeah I was disappointed to say the least. It was a lot of money that didn't give me any better performance than the cheapest one I could put on which I expected to just get me by. So now I have this fancy $400 axle collecting dust.
I know the pain of expensive parts you thought would be great on the ride but ended up great garage decor.
Funny story...yesterday I was installing a new power steering pump on my 100 and in the process of bleeding the power steering lines you’re suppose to turn the steering wheel a few times from side to side. Well on about my last crank to one side I heard a loud pop!! I basically said oh s*** and looked at the front wheel bays for any problems. Everything seems fine by looking at all components. Driving into work today something just felt a little off when I would go over bumps.
I’m pretty sure my reman CV axle failed on me during the extreme wheel cranking while bleeding power steering system. HAHAHAHA go figure. Great thing about a Napa reman axle is they have a 3 year warranty. So I’ll to pull mine out and swap it at my local NAPA for another reman axle shaft assembly for FREE!

Your saying you bought a new Toyota axle and it failed in 3 months? What failed? And why didnt you return it?

Lots of info if you search.

I just installed 2 new OEM axles. Yea it was spendy but vs having something aftermarket fail and doing it again wasn’t worth it.

Figured factory lasted 280K, new OEM should last another 200k plus.
And if they fail I have warranty for work and parts through Toyota.

Lots of info if you search.

I just installed 2 new OEM axles. Yea it was spendy but vs having something aftermarket fail and doing it again wasn’t worth it.

Figured factory lasted 280K, new OEM should last another 200k plus.
And if they fail I have warranty for work and parts through Toyota.
I totally agree with you. OEM lasted me 220k so why not just fork out the doe and get the same reliability? Well I was trying to be cheap for once in my life and it bit me in the ass. My Dad always said you get what you pay for.

Funny you mention that, the dealer offered Napa axles, due to cost.....

Then I had an issue, so afterwards I got the axles at a little over dealer price. Which is basically “mud” pricing.

But yes- I wanted Toyota axles for longevity and warranty.
Plus I’m gonna drive this till it dies so axles are least of my worries and with 280K on it they should be around while.

if you going through the trouble of replacing why not just reboot or rebuild yourself
Where can I find rebuild info? There are tons of threads here about CV axles in general. Or do you have a site that sells the parts?

I have an OEM axle with good joints and boots, but stripped splines, just sitting on a shelf.

D6D47E30-E571-49DA-971F-6408EC5363E2.png
63002D84-4D5E-4295-878E-5FC0ACF71A2B.png
45162353-DAED-4FC6-BE3E-7F9C421C4AB3.png
0F299FBA-BD72-46D5-B0B8-E4F897C94BD1.png
Where can I find rebuild info? There are tons of threads here about CV axles in general. Or do you have a site that sells the parts?

I have an OEM axle with good joints and boots, but stripped splines, just sitting on a shelf.

Funny you mention that, the dealer offered Napa axles, due to cost.....

Then I had an issue, so afterwards I got the axles at a little over dealer price. Which is basically “mud” pricing.

But yes- I wanted Toyota axles for longevity and warranty.
Plus I’m gonna drive this till it dies so axles are least of my worries and with 280K on it they should be around while.
I wasn’t aware Toyota had warranties on their parts...
And let’s face it, your Cruiser will never Die! It’ll just need some repairs from time to time haha

I wasn’t aware Toyota had warranties on their parts...

usually its 1 year on parts

as long as its not the inboard side you should be able to get parts from your local dealership. if the inner joint is shot out you will need a new axle, only the outer joint is rebuildable. you can reboot both sides

Bumping...

I bought my 07 in March 2017 and we worked out a deal to have the leaking CV’s replaced before purchase. The Toyota dealer did the work. I am currently having the UCA’s replaced and they are telling me that the CV’s are aftermarket. Am I reading correctly that the dealership will use non-Toyota parts? I am four States away from home and can’t currently access my receipts to verify part numbers.

Bumping...

I bought my 07 in March 2017 and we worked out a deal to have the leaking CV’s replaced before purchase. The Toyota dealer did the work. I am currently having the UCA’s replaced and they are telling me that the CV’s are aftermarket. Am I reading correctly that the dealership will use non-Toyota parts? I am four States away from home and can’t currently access my receipts to verify part numbers.

Highly plausible they installed the lowest cost option if you didnt specify new Toyota and it wasnt written exactly that way on your buyers order or we owe/you owe document. Most car dealers are scumbags- expect the worst and you’ll limit surprises.

I should have clarified, it was a private party sale and he had the dealership do the work. I guess I never expected a Toyota dealer to use non-Toyota parts.

I was told by the place doing my lift that the aftermarket CV’s can’t handle the lift so it looks like I have a CV swap possibly on my to do list. I’ll have to verify part numbers when I get back home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom