Is there still a place for the ARB Front Bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i ran up the back of a guy in a holden colarado ute about a year ago, it absolutely demolished the bed of his ute. crumpled it. Damage to the arb bull bar? a small dent you won't notice unless you are looking for it. the previous arb bar i had killed a few kangaroos each at about 80km/h at a guess. and it was fine, i sold it with the car.

between the arb, the ironman one the tjm option and probably something else, I think it looks the best out of the lot with the full hoops.

Plus they are really good for hanging summer banana harvest.
6C5E925D-B7D8-48D9-8C5A-4080346A3948.jpeg
47E59963-6C65-45DA-9C11-241EF7729888.jpeg

I may be in the minority, but I think the ARB is the worst looking bumper commercially available for the 80s, and every truck with one on it automatically looks like a boring old man vehicle. It may be reasonably strong and able to hold a big winch, but I just can't get over how hideous they are.

Again, just my opinion.

@Dork I get where you're coming from. I think there are some really slick designs, as well as some really poor boxy ones that were obviously designed with cardboard. IMO, the ARB falls in the middle. It's not the most attractive bumper, but it's the classic, and looks "right" on the vehicle, even if only because it's far and away the most common aftermarket bumper you'll find on 80s.

@Dork I get where you're coming from. I think there are some really slick designs, as well as some really poor boxy ones that were obviously designed with cardboard. IMO, the ARB falls in the middle. It's not the most attractive bumper, but it's the classic, and looks "right" on the vehicle, even if only because it's far and away the most common aftermarket bumper you'll find on 80s.

I would agree. It's not bad looking, way better than the ironman one, but not a nice as the low profile bumpers compliment the front of the cruiser.

Personally i do like the looks of the arb. ultimately the reason i went with it is the size winch it will hold. That and the fact i got screaming deal on an M15000.

I currently run an ARB I purchased less then a year ago, and it is f'n stout. My wife was pissed at me spending $1000 on what she considered cosmetic stuff. Weeks after I put mine on she saw a totaled truck with an ARB bumper. The entire front end was crumpled in, and the ARB looked undamaged. She was impressed.

Personally i do like the looks of the arb. ultimately the reason i went with it is the size winch it will hold. That and the fact i got screaming deal on an M15000.

That was part of my motivation too. I found a new in the box Warn 16.5ti for $700, and just couldn't pass it up.

Along with the slee short bus, I thought ARB it's the best looking for the 80 series ..

I will pay shipping on all of the old ARB bumpers that you guys are all likely dumpstering now.

I think the Short Bus is the best looking of the bumpers I have seen, but it doesn't take kindly to license plates and I need those. Maybe a magnet? :meh:

The ARB is a pig, but it does put the fear of god into any creature that might find itself on the business end of it, but I kinda think it's overkill for my actual needs and it weighs a metric f-ton.

Old man here. :) I've had an ARB for about 14 years. Ran the Rubicon a couple times with it no problem (however, the Kaymar rear bumper did not do as well). Where I found it to be very effective is pre-running (as much as an 8000 lb truck can pre-run) in Baja. The full wrap keeps the front end whole when you get surprised by some branches or other plant life, come into a corner a bit fast, or need to push through brush. I think Slee has a bolt on skid to protect the a/c condenser (or something) that I would recommend as well.

I'm just down the road in Pendleton. The first time a deer pops out of the ditch on 395 and clangs off that antiquated looking ARB you'll be glad to have it. The other bumper options on the market don't take wildlife strikes into account and are designed for maximum clearance and light weight. Besides, they just look right on an 80.

17799112_10159014360215131_9050550257508133895_n.jpg

4 Wheel Parts Online. It was a brief promo they ran during KoH. The ARB was $940, but came with a $175 gift card that was instantly applied to the purchase. The price came to $765 + tax, and free shipping. It felt like they were side stepping ARB pricing policy, but it worked. They're supposed to ship in another week or two, I believe. I just checked the website and the promo isn't listed anymore. Sorry.

I've had mine for almost 12 years now and it was on when I got the rig for a few before that.

Personally i think the looks are perfect for an 80, especially with a mild lift+. Yes there are sleeker ones, but I love that classic, yet "intentional" look.

Mine has JUST started showing oxidation up top and a couple bubble rust spots, but considering it's at least 15 year old, I'm have zero complaints.

I've also hit a couple deer with it, one at 80mph, with ZERO damage other then a tuft of hair. I would gladly put one on every Tundra I own if I found them for the price you are quoting. :cheers:

I didn’t think the ARB weighed that much...

I was surprised when I got mine, opened the huge box, & was able to lift it myself.

I was expecting it to be much heavier than it was, especially for the size & strength of it.

ARB is not heavy especially with the amount of protection it covers on the front end. I am not a big guy by any means, but i have picked up a used ARB from another member, lifted it into my truck and off, installed it all by myself all within a couple hours with basic hand tools. Best looking bumper IMO, the 80s is 20 yrs old, so an older ARB bumper design compliments it perfectly.

Good thing about quality built steel is that it never goes out of style or functionality.

I had an accord total his car on my front arb bumper. My bumper only had surface scratches and got pushed back an inch or so.

I would recommend the bumper especially if you're not a hardcore rock crawler.

The ARB is a pig, but it does put the fear of god into any creature that might find itself on the business end of it, but I kinda think it's overkill for my actual needs and it weighs a metric f-ton.

It's likely one of the lightest full bumpers, mostly ~1/8". Not a fan of the face mask design, but has likely saved me some lights. It does scream "expo" if that is the look you are going for. Whomever decided an "offroad" bumper should have an air dam should be shot, maybe it's to deflect roo guts down?

I put an ARB on my 97 LX last year. Ive always liked the was an ARB looks on any Toyota product. To me it just looks right.

It's likely one of the lightest full bumpers, mostly ~1/8". Not a fan of the face mask design, but has likely saved me some lights. It does scream "expo" if that is the look you are going for. Whomever decided an "offroad" bumper should have an air dam should be shot, maybe it's to deflect roo guts down?
I made a mistake. I had read that it weighed around 250 lbs, but after going back to find that thread, that number included a big winch. If it really only weighs 75 pounds, I may reconsider picking one up to ease my mind about hitting a moose or a deer.

ARB bull bar owners - weight of the bumper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom