1978 FJ40 Tub Dimensions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! I'm in the process of rebuilding my tub and unfortunately do to an awful PO, I don't have much to go off of. What little left of the original is completely rusted through and he got creative with zinc plates and pop rivets. I don't think my tub is at all where it needs to be for me to start welding in new panels.

I'm looking for the width in the back of the truck between the doors. I think my gap is a bit too wide. Also, if possible, I'd love the distance between the B-Pillars from drivers side to passenger side.

Are you on really powerful pain killers this morning, Ryan? :D It's in the title.

Adistler you need to post photos with arrows showing the exact measurements you need, because location of measurement makes a difference.

Distance between tub sides at ambulance doors is 40-3/4".

B pillar measurement varies a little bit, since the B pillars are not parallel, but it's basically 60-1/4" at the back edge of the pillars at the level of the mid-bed.

What year is your truck?

Last edited:
Are you on really powerful pain killers this morning, Ryan? :D It's in the title.

Adistler you need to post photos with arrows showing the exact measurements you need, because location of measurement makes a difference.

Distance between tub sides at ambulance doors is 40-3/4".

B pillar measurement varies a little bit, since the B pillars are not parallel, but it's basically 60-1/4" at the back edge of the pillars at the level of the mid-bed.

Well I only had 1 Americano in me... and no pain pills... but you never know what tubs have been swapped too...

Just measure my 78 that I know hasn't been hacked up. Between back doors on mine is 41 3/4. Between b pillars varies but verified the 60 1/4 noted above. Be happy to measure more if needed.

I just double-checked my measurement at the rear of the tub and both Catfish28 and I are correct, but we measured at different points. I measured the space between rear pillars, while Catfish28 measured the total ambulance door opening which is about 1/2" wider on each side.

This goes back to what I mentioned previously about specifying exactly where you want the measurement taken. In the future, you should post photos with arrows showing exactly where you want the measurement taken.

Thanks guys. This really helps a lot! I was looking for the measurement between the actual pillars. Unfortunately I wasn’t by my truck and didn’t really have time to get a picture and mark what I needed, so sorry if there was any confusion but you guys answered it perfectly.

B pillar help. Not really sure where the 60 1/4” meausurement is based on the description. I too have 78 tub in need of revival and would like to verify my B pillar measurements.
Took some photos. Please let me know if these are correct dimensions. Upper pillar measurement is outside to outside of the fender folded seam. Lower pillar measurement is outside to outside pillar folded seam where the pillar seams to the inner rocker. Thanks!

64626F99-3A78-4933-B49D-41A6ADAAA2A9.jpeg

A3209D62-9E4E-4035-AF76-47602D6BBEB8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom