What is my steering wheel missing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CSteppe82

Legalize Cannabis
SILVER Star
Threads
437136CF-8D45-428B-B7CC-EC95EDF5AE8D.jpeg
To make the horn functional ?

Is that the contact ring behind the nut ?

6/71

Look for threads on making a horn bushing . There are no used ones. So make one from a newer one.

Don’t have more to share it is at office.

PM Monday with your email can send more to you

It’s tough to tell from your photo. Besides the horn button, here’s the two other parts you’ll need

The spring attached to the plate drops through the hole in steering wheel. That’s the ground path. You’ll notice opposite the spring side is a rubber spacer. The spacer creates a gap between the contact ring. Obviously the one in the photo is toast. I made a rubber spacer for my 6/71. If you build your spacer too thin or too narrow your horn will beep with the slightest bump. Too thick or too wide and you’ll need to press the button so hard it’ll pop out of the contact thingamajigger. I posted photo’s of my homemade ground spacer somewhere and I think someone else chimed in with a differerent, perhaps better solution.
2DCDC98E-67D1-4F9C-AF26-D20A28079358.png

DE1B44B5-0506-4221-A97E-24709CB40743.png

Here’s a shot from microfiche. I labeled stuff based on description’s in the fiche.
F904CF45-964E-479A-A0AA-07A3B3861D26.png

I seen now you are missing the “horn button contact seat”. Note the two cutouts in your wheel where ears of the contact seat should fit.

Be sure you pull your wheel and clean up the horn contact ring.

So I need both parts listed above? And a button ? I have seen two different buttons ... the other 71s I have looked at for reference are also missing the button

Your “horn contact ring” should still be behind your steering wheel.

I’d try to find a “horn button contact seat” that has a good spacer. I would guess a non-cracked rubber spacer will be hard to come by but never hurts to try.

Try to get an earlier “horn contact spring” if possible. I believe they are made from solid aluminum. The 71 version is a rust prone steel with a thin chrome coating that can bubble up and flake off.

Also, when buying a horn button try to get one that has a good(non rusted) ring that retains the plastic logo plate. I’ve seen those rings get weakened by rust. They have three metal tabs that break easily, that makes them useless.

If you are looking to have the steering wheel refurbished I would highly recommend a forum member named Jim from Tulsa--he is working on my steering wheel as I type this. He is fixing cracks and making it functional and like new. He does amazing work and keeps me updated on his progress! PM me if you want his contact info. mt

@Maryt I followed his thread. Very nice work. I would like to get the horn working first and then I will deal with steering wheel

Thebigredrocker- do you have info on how to build the horn spacer that you mention in your thread form February 2018? Thx

Not much in the document on how to make the rubber spacer. I’ve seen references to it here but not explicit directions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom