Is there still a place for the ARB Front Bumper? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently ran across an unusually good deal on the ARB deluxe bumper, so my dad and I ordered two to put on our 80s. I have a Warn 16.5ti winch I plan to shoehorn in mine, and don't know what his winch plans are at this point.
Now I'm having second thoughts. There are a lot of threads about how stout the ARB is and how it's a great option etc, even if not the highest clearance, but most of those threads are several years old. More recent discussions about front bumpers seem to dismiss the ARB as too thin, too heavy, weak, bulky, etc. I suspect part of that is because folks are using their 80s on more challenging terrain than they were 10 years ago, but that may not be entirely true. More challenging terrain, including rock crawling, demands a higher clearance, more stout bumper, and I get that. I DD my 80, and like the idea of taking more off-road trips on BDRs, trips out into the hillsides to go shooting, fishing, etc. I could see myself taking the family on a trip to Glacier, Moab, etc, but probably wouldn't take my 80 on the Rubicon (though I'm sure it'd be a blast).
The ARB bumpers haven't shipped, so we could cancel the order if we wanted to and go with something else, but I'm still inclined to believe that the ARBs would meet our needs. I'd appreciate any input people have based on their experiences. Thanks, guys.

Last edited:
How about share the price and source for the kids in the audience?

Every bumper is not bulletproof; however, yes, the ARB is still a great bumper.

Had one on my friends rig that rolled in Colorado, held up just fine. We pulled it and put it on the new rig.

It's a lot better than a stock bumper!

Mine has held up OK for 15 years. Got a bit mangled when my son rear ended a Tacoma. I was able to mangle it back with another truck and a winch. It carries my M12000 winch just fine. It's been through Rubicon twice, and to Utah/Moab 10+ times, Death Valley 15 times etc.

It is likely that a custom bumper like a Trail Tailor, or Slee would be tougher and stronger, but the ARB has stood the test of time and provides much better protection in the event of a deer strike or similar.

So hard to advise you. Do you know your 16.5K winch will fit? That's way more winch than you need, so you might be able to trade if for something that does fit.

There werent many other choices 10 yrs ago either. They will be fine for your described needs.......

Until you take a direct upaward shot to a bumper wing on that rocky trail you werent planning on running :)

It's a lot better than a stock bumper!

Mine has held up OK for 15 years. Got a bit mangled when my son rear ended a Tacoma. I was able to mangle it back with another truck and a winch. It carries my M12000 winch just fine. It's been through Rubicon twice, and to Utah/Moab 10+ times, Death Valley 15 times etc.

It is likely that a custom bumper like a Trail Tailor, or Slee would be tougher and stronger, but the ARB has stood the test of time and provides much better protection in the event of a deer strike or similar.

So hard to advise you. Do you know your 16.5K winch will fit? That's way more winch than you need, so you might be able to trade if for something that does fit.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's encouraging to hear that yours has served you well. And yes, the factory bumper is a POS.

Dimensionally, the 16.5 is no larger than the M12000 and only weighs 2 lbs more. It also pulls harder and faster while drawing less current from the battery (black magic). I wouldn't have chosen it, had I not gotten it NIB for $700 on Craigslist. Too good of a deal to pass up. I found photos of a 16.5 mounted in an ARB by a mud member without issue. He said it went right in, and the photos look right.

Some using ARB in the UK (poor weather), comment about paint durability and corrosion, perhaps give them an extra coating of whatever you guys use over there to protect against rust?

Regards

Dave

There werent many other choices 10 yrs ago either. They will be fine for your described needs.......

Until you take a direct upaward shot to a bumper wing on that rocky trail you werent planning on running :)

You're absolutely right, not as many choices back then!
And I agree about getting into a more challenging trail. That's a real possibility, and frankly I wouldn't mind. But I also DD mine, and I think that the more stout bumpers increase the risk of frame damage in an accident with another vehicle.

Some using ARB in the UK (poor weather), comment about paint durability and corrosion, perhaps give them an extra coating of whatever you guys use over there to protect against rust?

Regards

Dave

Thanks for noting that. Very few rust issues where I live, but something others may benefit from knowing.

I DD my 80, and like the idea of taking more off-road trips on BDRs, trips out into the hillsides to go shooting, fishing, etc. I could see myself taking the family on a trip to Glacier, Moab, etc, but probably wouldn't take my 80 on the Rubicon (though I'm sure it'd be a blast).

The ARB will be ideal for your needs. When you inevitably get into a wreck while daily driving, it will sacrifice itself rather than transfer all the energy into the frame and you.

I'm just down the road in Pendleton. The first time a deer pops out of the ditch on 395 and clangs off that antiquated looking ARB you'll be glad to have it. The other bumper options on the market don't take wildlife strikes into account and are designed for maximum clearance and light weight. Besides, they just look right on an 80.

17799112_10159014360215131_9050550257508133895_n.jpg

I'm just down the road in Pendleton. The first time a deer pops out of the ditch on 395 and clangs off that antiquated looking ARB you'll be glad to have it. The other bumper options on the market don't take wildlife strikes into account and are designed for maximum clearance and light weight. Besides, they just look right on an 80.

17799112_10159014360215131_9050550257508133895_n.jpg

Great post, thanks!

When I bought the winch it came with the new fairlead, I misplaced the bolts that came with the arb bumper so I just bolted it up as is.

I did trim the arb bumper but it wasn't necessary to install the winch. I trimmed it to get more clearance between the winch control pack and the lower valance. Again not necessary, just personal preference.

How about share the price and source for the kids in the audience?

Every bumper is not bulletproof; however, yes, the ARB is still a great bumper.

Had one on my friends rig that rolled in Colorado, held up just fine. We pulled it and put it on the new rig.

4 Wheel Parts Online. It was a brief promo they ran during KoH. The ARB was $940, but came with a $175 gift card that was instantly applied to the purchase. The price came to $765 + tax, and free shipping. It felt like they were side stepping ARB pricing policy, but it worked. They're supposed to ship in another week or two, I believe. I just checked the website and the promo isn't listed anymore. Sorry.

Last edited:
When I bought the winch it came with the new fairlead, I misplaced the bolts that came with the arb bumper so I just bolted it up as is.

I did trim the arb bumper but it wasn't necessary to install the winch. I trimmed it to get more clearance between the winch control pack and the lower valance. Again not necessary, just personal preference.

Did you trim the wire opening?
With your failead mounted lower than designed and not incorporating the fairlead tabs just make sure the wire cant rub the bottom edge of the opening. There may have been a design change along the way that negates this concern but @Will Van that pic in post 12 is a good example of how i was saying not to mount the fairlead using the existing hole....... at least on earlier models.

IMAG0726~2.jpg
IMAG0728.jpg

Here's a pic of the trimming I did and the clearance between the control pack and the valance .

Did you trim the wire opening?
With your failead mounted lower than designed and not incorporating the fairlead tabs just make sure the wire cant rub the bottom edge of the opening. There may have been a design change along the way that negates this concern but @Will Van that pic in post 12 is a good example of how i was saying not to mount the fairlead using the existing hole....... at least on earlier models.

Walked out to take a look, you are 100% correct. I will have to look for the bolts that came with the bumper, drill the fairlead to be at the correct height or trim the bottom edge of the opening.

1. Still is the highest winch capacity bumper that I know of.

2. For us WA folks who see 4 legged animals in the road the full hoop is still best to protect your radiator & headlights if you strike a deer, etc.

3. While not the most stout or the best clearance, it's rarely an issue.

4. $$$ isn't bad, the powdercoat is good on all but direct rock contact.

It's not the Ferrari of bumpers, but it's not a Prius either. I still run one. :meh:

I thought about a new bumper to replace my ARB a couple of times. Both times I hit a deer shortly after thinking about it. I don’t go crazy in rocks or ledges so I’m good with the ARB and was glad to grab some backstraps and have no deer damage.

Mine did oxidize bad so I just had it Line-X’d and it looks better than new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom