Cooper At3, Max, or STT Pro Tires-Educate me:). (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at one of the above mentioned tires for 2008 LC. The size will be 285s. I am concerned a little bit with weight. Or, should I be? At3-50 lbs. Max-60 lbs. SST Pro-62 lbs. Thoughts? The truck will mostly see desert roads of Utah and forest roads of Wyoming, Idaho, and Colorado. Thanks much!

Those are three very different tires. If you're only driving on desert roads, rule the Pros out as they're overkill. If you want an aggressive all-terrain that's decent on the road and very good off-road with a strong sidewall, get the Maxx. If you want on-road performance and a little off-road prowess, get the AT3

I had 33" Discoverer ATPs on my last vehicle—it's splits the difference between the AT3 and S/T Maxx: Cooper Discoverer ATP | Cooper Tire

Really liked them for a daily driver. Road noise was negligible and were great for occasional off-roading.

285/70R17? The AT3s show 55 in the LT (E rated) tire. Same for a LT285/65R18. The P-Metric (C rated) is 44lbs in the 285/70R17. FWIW.

Weight is a consideration but also is ride quality. Anything with an E rating will ride stiff. The tradeoff is sidewall and tread puncture resistance. You shouldn't see much in the way of ride difference between an AT3 and Maxx if they're both E. So then it's down to noise, street traction, and wear. I've had Maxx on two vehicles and the noise isn't even a consideration. Can't speak for the Pros.

Good to hear...I double checked the weight. 5lbs a major difference? Thanks again.

285/70R17? The AT3s show 55 in the LT (E rated) tire. Same for a LT285/65R18. The P-Metric (C rated) is 44lbs in the 285/70R17. FWIW.

Weight is a consideration but also is ride quality. Anything with an E rating will ride stiff. The tradeoff is sidewall and tread puncture resistance. You shouldn't see much in the way of ride difference between an AT3 and Maxx if they're both E. So then it's down to noise, street traction, and wear. I've had Maxx on two vehicles and the noise isn't even a consideration. Can't speak for the Pros.

5lbs isn't a major difference for a heavy truck. True, it's un-sprung weight, but weighing (pun intended) the risk/benefit of the Maxx I'll take the 5 lbs for my uses. We're talking about a 80-85 lbs total rim/tire weight so it's 6%. FWIW, 35s are up around 90-95lbs per corner.

Pro's are great tires.... I ran them on my 18's - short of mud they're amazing tires....far better all around then a G2 or BFG IMHO...

yeah...I think it is between the AT3 and the Maxx..I like the looks of the Pro's but afraid road noise will be an issue.

stt pros are a great tire in mud, wet, sand and rock. the cooper silica compound is soft. If you go pro Make sure you're ok listening to a MT everyday when you drive. If you can run an aggressive AT then I'd go that route.

Last edited:
If you can handle a stiff sidewall, go with the Maxx. It's a great tire and 285/75/17 is the perfect size for a 200.

IMG_0035.jpg

ST Maxx on my ride. Lots of sharp rocks on the trails in So Cal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom