Need Advice / Likely Blown Head Gasket / '02 Taco / 5VZ-FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not sure where to go first so here's the story. Maybe 5-6+ months ago I had a major overheat and had very low coolant and low oil. Topped off each and was good to go until about a week ago. CEL goes on and I get code P0300 for random cylinder misfire and P0303 for cylinder #3 misfire. Swapped coil pack from #3 to #1 but code came back to #3. Did compression check on the right back with these results:

Cyl 1 - 190
Cyl 3 - 90
Cyl 5 - 180

I added 2 Tbl of oil to #3 rechecked and it went up to 120. Then performed a leak-down test on #3 and got bubbles coming out the top of the radiator cap which told me HG on the right head. There was no obvious oil in the coolant but coolant was being lost. No cappuccino look to the oil. Because I'm trying to save cash and time I flushed the coolant, added fresh plus distilled water and plus this stuff: Blown Head Gasket Leak Repair | Head Gasket Sealer

While I followed the instructions on the box it seemed to hold at first but now CEL is back on with P0303 again. Adding to this I noticed today that I have a nasty valve cover leak that needs to be addressed. I've done some research online and I'm wondering what my options are. If I'm going so far as to get to the valve cover is it really that much additional work to pull the head and have it checked? Is it even worth doing?

On a similar but tangental note of possibly doing the HG I watched a video of a guy doing his HG and he took off everything on the front and top of the engine, getting to pretty much a short block. Can I get away with not pulling everything off the front of the engine?

Let me ask you this, how many miles is on the current engine? What are your plans with the truck long term? I have a 99 4runner with very similar
issues when I bought it 4 years ago, the sealer might buy you time but I can tell you that there is no such thing as permanent.

Good point, 168k on the odom. Long term is unknown at this point. Have/had no intentions of selling, I like not having a car payment but now I'm not sure if this is something worth fixing though I know the idea of worth differs from person to person.

This is Your solution , U will spend more time & $ doing head gaskets & having heads checked , machined , valve job , new valve seals etc.......

all to put back on a old tired engine that's seen a head gasket leak and blow

get on your local craigs list and find a JDM import long block , 5vzfe drop it in they go for approx $800

Your head gasket kit , water pump , timing belt kit and machine shop work will cost more then that

from past experience this the route i have chose twice now over last few years , never a problem with the JDM import engine Long Block

JDM TOYOTA 3.4L 5VZFE ENGINE 4RUNNER TACOMA TUNDRA T100

good luck

You make a very good point @RAGINGMATT - something else I neglected to mention is that I'm in CA so smog regulations are pretty strict.

You may not be able to answer a couple of these additional questions but here goes - I looked on craigslist and found an "imported for Japan" engine for $1000: 1996-2004 TOYOYA 4 RUNNER ENGINE T100 TUNDRA 3.4L V6 ENGINE 5VZ

The price seems almost too good and second, the motor for sale is for 96-2004 and I'm not sure that will work with my vehicle.

With these JDM engines , take note of the intake manifold & top of engine features , there completely different then a USA spec. vehical , such as the 2 big heater cooling tubes , they may have even been RHD vehicals

hence , U will need to strip off the JDM intake and related down to the cylinder heads , may need to swap valve covers too & replace them with your USA spec. parts , this may go for some front engine parts like timing covers & assy p/s pumps / A/C compressors also

when i did My 1995 t-100 5VZ-FE I stripped Down the JDM engine to a bare long block then install ALL new parts like seals , O-rings, Gaskets etc . I DID NOT Pull the head , just swapped my valve covers / valve cover gasket , M

My mission was a perfectly sealed " Like-New" engine with timing belt kit and all , so it would give me a life of service again

sounds like alot but i did the full make over swap above in a weekend , with both engines sitting on the ground on pallet's side by side

it took me another weekend to install my freshly Externally reconditioned JDM 5VZ-FE

what @RAGINGMATT said is what I have planned for IF my 5VZ-FE ever fails. To me it will be the most economical option. In addition to nearly starting the odometer back "new", fresh seals, gaskets, belts and pump, tensioner and fan clutch will make it really seem like a new engine. Especially if you take the opportunity to clean everything up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom