LED bulbs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have any problems with the fit of Superbriteleds #194 instrument bulbs in the panel?

I saw recently that the LED towers that I use were too tall for the OEM shrouds (194-WWHP5). I had removed my shrouds so I wasn't aware of the fitment problem. As I remember, I tried the 194-WW5 first (which fits with OEM shroud), wanted more light, so I removed shroud, still wanted more light, then went with the 194-WWHP5. I remember bigredrocker, or somebody maybe had a work-around? Cheers

The Light-Shades or Shrouds Must be removed to install & use Most if not All Color Keyed 194 LED bulbs

The Green BA7's for the headlight switch & other Back-Lit Knob Pull Switch's also do not fit 100% correct , U must spread the Toyota OEM Socket just a little bit for the bulb to be able to spring up and down and contact the B+ socket " Contact" inside ......

DSCN5472.JPG
DSCN5471.JPG

Last edited:
Anyone have any problems with the fit of Superbriteleds #194 instrument bulbs in the panel?

FWIW - For my gauge cluster, the two main bulbs that light the cluster are SBI's 194-WHP6.
timthumb.php

The other three, blinkers & bright light, are SBI's 194-WHP.
timthumb.php

All five blubs are the cool 6000K units.

How do you get to the bulb in the light switch? I noticed on my '75 , it had a clear cover, which is different than the other knobs.

How do you get to the bulb in the light switch? I noticed on my '75 , it had a clear cover, which is different than the other knobs.

It's a twist lock bulb, just not so easy to get too. I replaced mine last month when I had my gauge cluster out for some work.

Does the clear cover pop off, unscrew, or other?

Got to remove the nut that holds the switch to dash (small needle nose pliers work well for this) then remove bulb from back of switch... as @GA Architect states, it’s a twist lock and very small!

Does the clear cover pop off, unscrew, or other?

The cover stays on. It covers the wiring for the switch. The small light is right above the wiring connector.

img_1942-jpg.1612679

CAJ-
Pictures of the route I took here:
Light bulbs for Land Cruisers

Another possible method I’ve thought about for peeps who buy the taller 194’s and want to leave the shade/shroud and want to eliminate side glare. Using a Dremel “thin” cutting disk put a slice cut in the shade tip. Start cut from outside, don’t slice completely through, leave material on the inside. Bend the cut tip to allow room for the taller forward firing 194. I think this would block most of the side glare.

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the idea. Any problems disassembling the inst. cluster?

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the idea. Any problems disassembling the inst. cluster?

Take your time with the three pieces of glass and the old rubber retainers. I used plenty of soap & water mixture to get the rubber flexible to peal off the glass. Once they came out, I was surprised at how unfinished the corner cuts were on the three pieces of glass. But they cleaned up well and I used some Aerospace 303 to clean up the rubber gaskets.

Also, the two lower tabs on the cluster housing that holds it into the dash, you may want to cut about a 1/3 of them off. It will make re-installation much easier.

Note: Using the SBI's 194-WHP6 for the two main bulbs, I did not have to modify the shrouds.

Thanks for the info. Ordering bulbs later today- 194 RHP5

on 75-84 40 Series Land Cruiser's the headlight swicth has a Back lit Knob , The Bulb & Twist Lock spring loaded socket are located on the back side of the switch , this is NOT accessible from the underside of the dash by simply reaching up , U must
Pull The Light switch assy. itself to remove the socket & replace / Upgrade to a Green LED BA7 bulb

Inside the 75-84 headlight switch both the "LIGHTS" ( 1975-1980) style and Later " EYE BALL LOGO " Knobs ( 1981-1984 ) Like on @imyahucklbrry 's 1982 , There is also a 3rd style the " Saudi Spec. LX Model " " Lantern Logo " ,

( The Year span of application use on the "Saudi Spec LX Lantern Logo" back lit knob Has Alluded me thus far )

In each knob Is a Green Plastic Light Filter or Lens , so a color keyed LED Bulb Should be used , Per the Super Bright LED Website

As outlined below , first loosen the set screw holding the knob on the Pull Switch shaft , unscrew the knob , then use snap ring or Pin wrench Nut Pliers & remove the pin wrench Nut , apply MED. forward pressure on the Pin Nut as u also turn in Counter clock wise to loosen it

I have found the BA7's both clear , green & amber from super bright LED's on occasion to fit a bit to snug in the Toyota socket , I dont know if this is the bulb or socket itself ? I take my small snap ring pliers in the expanding mode and spread the socket just a Hair Micro Millimeter out so the bulb fits loosely & the socket sill fits into the back side of the switch in it's twist lock receptical hole shown below

Test Bulb prior to Re-Install of switch

U must Re-install the socket into Back side of switch prior to re-Mounting the switch back up under dash

DSCN51001.jpg
DSCN51011.jpg
DSCN5913.JPG
DSCN5910.JPG
DSCN5914.JPG

Great info, thanks. I wasn't going to do the light switch, but I may just do it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom