Bell housing Crack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi LCer's,

I have a cracked bell Housing in my 3 speed trans. That, I believe is White metal that is not weldable. Is it?

Thanks.

Boaf

Well if you mean you personally wouldn't weld it because you don't have the skill set then I would agree with you. Few people can weld cast iron well.

However, when done properly, cast iron is as @brian said, perfectly weldable.
It is thin cast iron, if it is cracked it will crack again as it is fatigued, and there are plenty of 3 speed bell housings around.

The problem with cast iron is not so much the welding process or skill, it is the metallurgy of cast iron and the fact that heating it above 1400 F and then letting it air cool will create “white” iron, which is mostly iron carbide, which is brittle. Cast iron needs to cool slowly at a rate of about 120F per hour until it gets below 600 F so that the lamellar or nodular phase will reform. The lamellar phase (grey iron) or nodular iron are stronger and more ductile. White iron is hard to machine too. Nickel filler can help a little because it doesn’t form carbides, but you still have a lot of white iron in the heat affected zone.

What about brazing? Perhaps drilling a hole at the terminus end of the crack to keep the tensile stresses from advancing? How is the crack located in relation to the part?

Just as Pinhead and Brian talked about. It takes a bet of planning to weld to bit I pretty much have to laugh when it comes to welding cast. Use the right rod control the cool down. Even though thatthat bellhousing is easy to get for even free it's worth the skill in learning how.

Last edited:
phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/d/toyota-land-cruiser-3-speed/6490807119.html

The OPs in PA and a craigslist post in Phoenix is suppose to help?

I suppose this is what I meant by the skill. That is,the knowledge of the metallurgy involved.

It isn't that big of a deal, I figured it out by trial and error back in the 1900s lol.

The OPs in PA and a craigslist post in Phoenix is suppose to help?
By showing that there are a s*** ton of 3 speed bell housings out there. Rather than try and learn how to do complicated welding on a bellhousing that is a pain to remove if u screw it up just put one that is not cracked in.

The problem with cast iron is not so much the welding process or skill, it is the metallurgy of cast iron and the fact that heating it above 1400 F and then letting it air cool will create “white” iron, which is mostly iron carbide, which is brittle. Cast iron needs to cool slowly at a rate of about 120F per hour until it gets below 600 F so that the lamellar or nodular phase will reform. The lamellar phase (grey iron) or nodular iron are stronger and more ductile. White iron is hard to machine too. Nickel filler can help a little because it doesn’t form carbides, but you still have a lot of white iron in the heat affected zone.
Thanks Pin Head,

I am definitely not the welder for this.

Boaf 32

I have a 3-speed bell housing in Takoma Park, MD. I'll be in Hagerstown, MD next weekend... if you want to coordinate an exchange next Saturday. Does $50 sound fair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom