Cruiser listing to one side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've sort of noticed this before, but discounted it for being on a crooked parking spot. Today I actually measured, and the left side seems to be lower by an inch or 2 than the right. Why would that be? Bad springs, shocks something else?

I changed the front shocks for OEM a few days ago, but that didn't affect the rear end any. Ride seems better so I might do the rears too, but curious if I have something wrong with the left rear spring too?

I've sort of noticed this before, but discounted it for being on a crooked parking spot. Today I actually measured, and the left side seems to be lower by an inch or 2 than the right. Why would that be? Bad springs, shocks something else?

I changed the front shocks for OEM a few days ago, but that didn't affect the rear end any. Ride seems better so I might do the rears too, but curious if I have something wrong with the left rear spring too?

Your 100 is just impersonating a 40 with that lean. :D

Seriously though, It has to be a spring issue and not likely the shocks. Sounds like a good time for an upgrade to me.

Only the rear is listing. To the left side. How is it that a spring can become compressed permanently?

Seriously?! Is the truck designed with much more weight on one side than the other? Assuming the factory wouldn't eff that up, why would a previous owner even change the springs, to get them on backwards. They don't look like anything special.

All springs sag. On land cruisers they always sag more on the left (tank and driver on the left).
The fronts are adjustable (torsion bars), and that's normally enough to straighten the truck.
OE coils springs on 80 and 100 series normally benefit from being replaced after 5 years, sometimes at as little as 4 years.

Hmm. Are you saying the front torsion bars can straighten out the back leaning to the left? Wouldn't it make the front lean towards the right?

How much would a set of 2 rear springs cost me, and is it as easy for my mechanic to install as the shocks?

I adjusted the torsion bars in my ‘99 because I had noticed the driver side front was leaning. The PO’s was a tad generously purpotioned and the truck spent its 125k miles with it before my acquisition. It was almost an inch down and I figured while I was at it I would raise the front end to level it off a bit more. I noticed that the adjustments had an effect on the rears. As I adjusted the bars the rears were affected by about 3/8” as I dialed the front bars in.

Like the previous posts, Adjusting the torsion bars would be my first advice. advice

Also is the lean better when the tank is empty?

BjjCruiser, would your comment mean that the spring rates for each side would be different since they are side specific and the driver side rear weighs more?

I've heard of people cranking up the torsion bars, but I don't really understand why. I understand the stock cruiser leans forward a bit. Which I should think makes it more stable driving at highway speeds, letting the incoming air press it down, and resist rolling over more. What's the benefit of cranking them, unless it's to fix a lean problem?

BjjCruiser, would your comment mean that the spring rates for each side would be different since they are side specific and the driver side rear weighs more?

I amanot positive if the rate is different or the length. I have read several threads about people installing new springs and having a lean. Turns out they were installed on the wrong side

The lean to the left in the rear is a known "issue". It has definitely been discussed either on this forum or another LC forum...years ago. I remember someone who had it making a joke that he only wished his "leaned right".
My '05 does it. If memory serves I think someone put a shim somewhere and leveled theirs, but I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom