63 fj40 2f swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone!

I have a 1963 fj40 that I am planning to do a 2f & 4 speed swap into while keeping my 63 transfer case. Not sure really what I will need to do other than just straight out swap it.
My understanding is I will need a new clutch master and slave cyl and a new primary gear and gasket for the transfer case.
Any other tips tricks or suggestions would be appreciated!

Get the front motor mounts that come with the 2F block.

depends on what vintage 4 speed whether it will work with the 63 transfer.
you can stay with your existing flywheel and clutch assembly, no need to change to a diaphram style

Easy way to tell if it's a early or late 63 transmission/transfer case is the cover on the back of the transfer case. Early is a straight tube held on with four bolts. Later is more cone shaped and has six bolts. Later style is pretty easy to modify. Earlier not sure it's ever been done and probably not worth the effort. If your not staying original not keeping the early T case would probably hurt value anymore since it's a modified cruiser anyway.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Thanks for all of your input. I have found that I have an early 4 bolt vacuum actuated transfer case :(. I'm a little stuck on what to do now. I dont really want to remove the dashboard controls for the 4x4 and Hi/Lo and convert the tunnel to accept the mechanical setup for the new case. I fear doing this would significantly devalue the vehicle... Any thoughts?

Hey guys! Thanks for all of your input. I have found that I have an early 4 bolt vacuum actuated transfer case :(. I'm a little stuck on what to do now. I dont really want to remove the dashboard controls for the 4x4 and Hi/Lo and convert the tunnel to accept the mechanical setup for the new case. I fear doing this would significantly devalue the vehicle... Any thoughts?

Run the 2f with original 3 speed trans and transfer?

Swapping in a 2F & H42 devalues the truck, from a purely collectible standpoint. But an H42 is so much nicer to drive. Just do what you want. If it's all well done Toyota, it will still be a valuable truck.

Won't the H42 connect to the 1962 T-case w/ the 1974 16spline adapter gear?

Completely different bolt pattern
D0F5ED12-5253-4C04-9D77-305079431B86.jpeg

Hey Fellas! Update - I do actually have the 6 bolt T Case (1963+) :D :D :D! I swapped the new motor in today with the original 3 speed and 1963 t case attached however I am going to fix up one of my four speeds and swap it in with the 63+Tcase What all do i need for this? I looked through your thread @FJ40Jim and couldn't find the info on it. Any chance you can shoot me a not with what page to look at? I ended up keeping the original clutch & flywheel for simplicity's sake. Thanks again fellas, your help is much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom