Poor ARB bumper... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bumper been on for 12+ years, not a scratch. Daughter drives for 6 months and voila...smh.. Supposedly happened in traffic going 20 miles an hour in a straight line...

Truck has new/used engine and tranny in the last year, and tons of other main' work done.

2018-02-24 17.53.00.jpg

2018-02-24 17.52.55.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

They are pretty weak bumpers, bordering on damage multiplier. Have bent mine several times, by bumping stuff on the trail.

That sucks. Hope your daughter is ok. Bumpers can be replaced (I vote Slee), daughters can not.

thanks for the kind words..she's fine, since it was ..a 20 mile impact. The SUV she hit had minimal damage, now the Corolla from a few weeks ago, that's a different story. It had to be towed since the edge of the bumper was into the tire. I'll take off the bumper later on and see what's all is bent.

Last edited:
Looks like all body damage. Have seen much worse repaired.

Pure body damage. All can be repaired.

Very glad to hear your Daughter was not hurt.

ARB your pants are down again!
Must be all that cash you've stuffed in yer pockets after saving on materials and craftsmanship:vomit:-

Definitely NOT a straight-on hit. That's the hitch receiver mark on the LF corner that tore a hole in the ARB. Either that SUV was tall OR she was HARD on the brakes when she hit. She had enough time to serve to the right and that's why so much damage. If she wouldn't have swerved, there may have been MUCH less damage.

I'm glad she's OK. Apparently your car insurance isn't.....The Corolla from two weeks ago?

Maybe it's time she goes to driving school or gets grounded for a bit.........?

They are pretty weak bumpers, bordering on damage multiplier. Have bent mine several times, by bumping stuff on the trail.
Definitely NOT a straight-on hit. That's the hitch receiver mark on the LF corner that tore a hole in the ARB. Either that SUV was tall OR she was HARD on the brakes when she hit. She had enough time to serve to the right and that's why so much damage. If she wouldn't have swerved, there may have been MUCH less damage.

I'm glad she's OK. Apparently your car insurance isn't.....The Corolla from two weeks ago?

Maybe it's time she goes to driving school or gets grounded for a bit.........?

She claims he came into her lane.

The damage to the other vehicle. Seems minor comparing...

IMG_1784.jpg

Maybe I'm incorrect. Maybe the JEEP was hard on the brakes, lifting the rear and pulling over in front of her.

Hard to believe that hitting a much lighter Jeep did THAT much damage, however, that tire carrier is what pushed the ARB up and back making it a damage multiplier.

We had a neighbor that rear-ended a Jeep with a Ford Expedition. Didn't leave a scratch on the Jeep, but that tire carrier wreaked havoc on the Expedition. Took out the radiator, core support, hood, grille, front fenders, and driver's door. Everything was ABOVE the bumper.

Sorry for your loss.

Here's a better pic of the other vehicle's damage...smh...

IMG_2028-photo.jpeg

Glad your girl is ok! As long as the frame is not to bad, you can repair that easily. The inner fenders bolt on at the firewall, and then rebuild from there.

Gonna play devil's advocate here for the ARB and say that it did its job. If it didn't bend, absorb, and take the brunt of the impact, it could have tweaked the frame and I'm guessing you'd be working with the insurance to buy it back.

Not the strongest bumpers in the world but a good compromise for driving on the street and wheeling.

Hi, 20 mph, ... Our Rhino guard on a stock bumper looked about the same but at 40 mph. Not too impressed with the ARB and I have one on our 1991. I'm glad everyone is ok. How is the insurance company's response to you ? Mike

Would any of the other aftermarket bumpers fared any better?

I had an 80 that took a hit like that and the front frame rails were swayed over almost an inch and had one broken motor mount.

Id get the truck on a frame rack before settling with insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom