$Runner Love/Hate Relationship (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
crop1.jpg
crop2.jpg

I guess the final remnant of my old DOA engine finally gave up. There is a new cylinder head in my future. Hello, LC Engineering?

Just use it as an excuse to 3rz swap!

Shoulda used a Timesert instead of a Helicoil:doh:
It's running. I don't care if they used bubble gum. :) I need to keep the truck drivable until the cylinder head is in the budget.

You can always red locktite it in if you know its being replaced. I did that with mine while I was waiting for my 22re preformace engine to be built. Never did throw out the plug again...

You can always red locktite it in if you know its being replaced. I did that with mine while I was waiting for my 22re preformace engine to be built. Never did throw out the plug again...

I was thinking more covering the threads with JB Weld, that ****er won’t never come out:hillbilly:

Cylinder head ordered from LC Engineering with their EFI camshaft. I'm actually excited to try this combination. Historically, I've run the old TRD/Crane #1 which was a bit different than the DOA C270 I have now. I'm curious to see how this combination feels. All other parts to make the install are either sitting in the garage (gaskets, o-rings, half-moons, grommets, new rocker arms, etc, blah, blah, blah), or will be picked up from Toyota tomorrow.

With the fresh bottom end, and this new top end, I'm hoping to get the engine back to 22re dependability. Just in time to pull it for a 3RZ. :rofl: Now I just need to have one drop at the u-pull. They did have a Gen2 3RZ, but it had been picked over.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the LC head as well with the efi cam. I was really wanting to try that when I did the head gasket last fall. Let us know what you think.

Cylinder head ordered from LC Engineering with their EFI camshaft. I'm actually excited to try this combination. Historically, I've run the old TRD/Crane #1 which was a bit different than the DOA C270 I have now. I'm curious to see how this combination feels.

Done deal. Head is installed, and after a couple of little brain-farts on my part the engine runs. One thing I will say about the cylinder head is it's beautiful. Great work.

I drove it for real today for the first time. A little putt around town, with a short run on the freeway with a stretch we call "9-Mile Hill." My first impression is I prefer the TRD/Crane #1 over the DOA C270, and the C270 over the LCE Street EFI camshafts. OK, more or less. Even though the LCE cam is advertised as a street cam, it has a noticeable lope at idle, and I needed to crank up the idle to keep it from stalling. The LCE cam also pulls less vacuum than the C270 (13" vs 14-15" @ 5000ft elevation). The LCE does pull nicely above 3600rpm.

I'm going to give this cam a chance. If in a few months I still don't like it I'll pull it out and put in the Crane #1, or even another DOA C270.

20180329_145050_crop.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KLF
why the crane cam better? more power or just comes in at a better rpm? looks great!

Let's see if this works. Here is an audio of the idle.
why the crane cam better? more power or just comes in at a better rpm? looks great!
Smoother idle, and I seem to recall it was friendlier around town. The LCE pulls lower vacuum and shakes the truck at idle. I'm too old for that crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom