fj80 cruise control speed sensor (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

76lcmike

relax
Threads
just a heads up. cruise speed sensor went out, like all the fj80's do, finally found a plug and play replacement. found a company in aussie land called New England Instrument co. they make speed sensors for fj80's srews right in in place of the old one. order the HALL EFFECT SENDER 12-24V 4 PULSE C6001. works great, easy install. little pricey $106 plus about $44 shipping. if you have some tax money left over well worth the cash.

heads up, take the whole assembly out, the nut that threads onto the speedo gear housing was frozen, put it in a vice gently and use a little heat to get it off or you'll pull the aluminum threads out. I live in the rust belt so everything is frozen and/or rusted:bang:

@roadstr6 and I were discussing this very topic last week. :hmm:

Hey, I didn't know this was a common issue. I love cruise control and my '91 went from intermittent cruise control to none at all. Is this what I need to get it going again?!? (As in what is the best way to diagnose that this part is faulty?)
Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey, I didn't know this was a common issue. I love cruise control and my '91 went from intermittent cruise control to none at all. Is this what I need to get it going again?!? (As in what is the best way to diagnose that this part is faulty?)
Thank you!
it's the most common problem with the cruise control on fj80's. the sensor takes a beating being under the vehicle exposed to the elements over the years. there are other issues discussed here, though. mine would only work after I drove about 15miles or so. or if it was hot outside. on real cold days may not work or drop out when driving and flash the cruise lite. best bet is following the diag. section in factory service manual. i'm sure there is thread with it on here. saw a oem service manual on ebay yesterday FYI.

Last edited:
it's the most common problem with the cruise control on fj80's. the sensor takes a beating being under the vehicle exposed to the elements over the years. there are other issues discussed here, though. mine would only work after I drove about 15miles or so. or if it was hot outside. on real cold days may not work or drop out when driving and flash the cruise lite. best bet is following the diag. section in factory service manual. i'm sure there is thread with it on here. saw a oem service manual on ebay yesterday FYI.
Thanks. Mine had identical symptoms before it went completely. Or maybe because it's cold out!

just a heads up. cruise speed sensor went out, like all the fj80's do, finally found a plug and play replacement. found a company in aussie land called New England Instrument co. they make speed sensors for fj80's srews right in in place of the old one. order the HALL EFFECT SENDER 12-24V 4 PULSE C6001. works great, easy install. little pricey $106 plus about $44 shipping. if you have some tax money left over well worth the cash.

DSCN7629.JPG

Where do you guys live that you even need/want to use Cruise Control?

In the 19 years I've owned my 80 series I have used mine exactly 3 times. Once out in West Texas (speed limit 80 mph), long stretches of road out there. Once on the Indian Nation turnpike in Oklahoma (about 100 miles long) and just about anywhere in Rural Kansas.

DSCN7628.JPG
DSCN7628.JPG

Where do you guys live that you even need/want to use Cruise Control?

In the 19 years I've owned my 80 series I have used mine exactly 3 times. Once out in West Texas (speed limit 80 mph), long stretches of road out there. Once on the Indian Nation turnpike in Oklahoma (about 100 miles long) and just about anywhere in Rural Kansas.
you answered your own question????:):cheers:

Ok, I just want to verify I’m getting this straight. You guys are saying your cruise sensor on you’re fj80’s, part number 88261-60010, went bad, and the part linked above was a direct swap and fixed the problem!?

Don’t toy with me people! I need to know this is real! ;)

Ok, I just want to verify I’m getting this straight. You guys are saying your cruise sensor on you’re fj80’s, part number 88261-60010, went bad, and the part linked above was a direct swap and fixed the problem!?

Don’t toy with me people! I need to know this is real! ;)
yes, it's an aussie company, those pictures are from my 91 fj80. my cruise works perfect!:steer:

Thanks Mike. Ordered mine tonight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom