72 FJ40 - Pierre (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some pics of the cleanup process...

lockbox.jpg
lockbox-open.jpg

Thought the passenger bench seat was replaced at one point but I think this might be the original seat. Build date is 9/71 and it looks like the switch to the split top passenger bench took place in 9/71.

pass-bench-fuel.jpg

Not much paint left on the tailgate and bed after scrubbing and treating with phosphoric acid. Maybe not the best method but seems to be working okay.

floor-bed.jpg

The floor under the gas tank looks great, almost like new. The gas tank did not look great (rust on outside and a little inside) so I'll likely replace.

floor-front-2.jpg

Took my gas tank to a radiator shop to be cleaned/sealed. This is what came back, not what I was expecting, lol, holy crap. I don't know what a normal tank sealing job should look like but pretty sure it's not this. The "paint job" on the outside is just as bad. That dark blue section in the back is where it just looks like whatever they put in the tank settled into a thick layer. I'm just going to order a new tank and see if the radiator shop will give me a refund.

gas-tank.jpg

For the sake of the truck PLEASE repaint. :cry:

The truck

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean, that pic is the inside of the Gas tank.

All things considered a new tank isn't that expensive and cheap insurance against future problems. Probably not much more than the radiator shop charge.

great score, that fj is in amazing shape for its age
What a great looking cruiser!

Thanks! After cleaning the inside it shows how much paint has worn off on the drivers side floor and the rear of the tub but really no rust which is great. I will end up painting the interior floors but not the outside for now.

Also, the radiator shop agreed that something went wrong with their sealing process. They offered to try again or give me a refund with them keeping the tank, I took the refund.

Started pulling off some mounting pieces to cleanup and get some rust converter on any surface rust. Found this under the license plate, kinda cool, super brittle.

hamer.jpg

The bolts for the bottom spare tire mount all broke but just a bit of surface rust under the mount.

cleanup.jpg

Finally have my 40 out of storage after moving and getting some space opened up in my garage. Going to try and fix some bubbling paint on the firewall from brake fluid and get the bare metal painted on the floors and bed without going too far down the rabbit hole. Other plans include replacing all fluids, new brake master, rebuild clutch master and slave, rebuild knuckles and wheel cylinders. With the hood, someone had painted over 3/4 of it for some reason. Paint thinner and a scotch-brite pad works ok for removal, if anyone has suggestions on a process that might work better please let me know.

firewall.jpg

firewall2.jpg

ds.jpg

hood.jpg

The paint thinner and scotch-brite cleanup of the hood is working well.

hood2.jpg

I've cleaned up the brake booster and now need to protect it. I was thinking about clear coat but that might be too shiny. After reading through the preserving patina thread it looks Penetrol might be good option. Has anyone used Penetrol on bare metal in the engine compartment and how has it held up?

booster.jpg

Some pics of the painting process, did not worry about any dents, just wanted to get some protection on the floor and firewall.

firewall.jpg
firewall-painted.jpg

floor.jpg

floor-painted2.jpg

floor-painted.jpg

Depending on the pic the color looks different, here is the paint line on the interior firewall just above the transmission opening to show the match to the original color.
colormatch.jpg

Here is what I used for epoxy primer, filler primer and topcoat. Not the cheapest way to go but no local paint shop so this is what I went with, hopefully it holds up. The paint scratch paint is a single stage mix for a 76 FJ40, Freeborn Red.

paint.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom