yet another 2004 lx470 buy it bin it thread - your vote matters (1 Viewer)

You should totally:

• Buy it

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Bin it

Votes: 19 73.1%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
205,000 miles
Interior 7/10
Exterior 8/10 no rust. Mirrors don't autofold.
AHC is 1" low front passenger, but goes up down, six notches L to H
timing belt done 2x, 95k (lexus history) and 185k (sticker in engine well)
0-115k full lexus maintenance every 5k like clockwork
115k to now - not a peep
$12.5k, and not dealing.
Tires are 80% wranglers
If AHC worked it would be in my drive I think. but I'm kinda waffling now . . .

Please share your sage advice. My use case is mild offroad (sliders, 33", etc).

I'm with the bin it folks. Although replacing AHC is a given, the LX is at a mild price premium, and this owner luvs him his old LX. he bought a 200 and kinda talks like he'd rather not have.

thats really not a bad price for one with the 5 speed transmission. 1 owner and regular mainenance is nice too

Current owner (90k miles) did no trackable service, aside from the timing belt sticker in the engine bay. he used 'jiffy lube', and was confused when I asked about diff service. He owns a used car lot. He is selling his own car on the lot. It's my fourth 100 looksee, and probably the best all around. I just hate taking it on knowing I need to do AHC work. I mean, I know its coming, but no honeymoon period at all? In any case, he is still emotionally attached to this car (which I get), and isn't really wanting to sell yet. On the market for 30 days. If I don't find a winner I'll call him back in a month.

For me I'd never spend that much on a stock hundo. But if that price is doable for you, that is always a personal decision, then the rig seems pretty solid.

I voted bin it, but by a small margin. That's not a bad price, and the lack of service wouldn't really scare me. These things are tanks. Many go 250k+ with minimal maintenance. Your interior rating being only a 7 and the obvious AHC problem are why I ended up in the bin it category.

Only 6 notches L-H on AHC? That's below the 7 minimum threshold. That tells me the AHC is done. You're looking at $1k to replace globes best case and probably $1-1.5k for conventional suspension swap + labor. If the height sensor is actually "out" and not just needing an adjustment, you're looking at a greater cost as well. Price seems steep given that you're going to have to put in some $$$ to address the failed AHC. Bin it is my opinion.

I bought a rust free, fully functioning 98 LX with only 150k on the clock for $11,5 here in TX. Sure, it's older and 4 speed. But, the AHC was perfect (still is), no rust, folding mirrors worked perfectly and the ONLY thing that needed done was the passenger side valve gasket (easy fix). $12,5 for over 200k with a failed AHC and more than likely other issues is a no-go for me.

AHC is 1" low front passenger, but goes up down, six notches L to H
If AHC worked it would be in my drive I think. but I'm kinda waffling now . ..
@grinchy Let me try to break it down a bit for you.
Low front passenger side = torsion bar adjustments needed, thats not a defect as such. In this case you’d raise the low side 1/2 inch and lower the high side by 1/2 inch to get the front cross level. Only then do you adjust sensor(s) to raise or lower the front’s overall height if necessary. The two front height sensors do not raise/lower their individual corners. The hydraulic system raises/lowers both sides equally and in unison based on the ECU processed height sensor feedback signals. Unbalanced torsion bars provide uneven mechanical lifting forces which inturn throws out the cross level/side to side level. After the front’s cross levelled height is where you want it you then adjust both torsion bars an equal number of turns to raise or lower the neutral pressure, this doesn’t change the vehicle’s final height as that’s set by the height sensors feedback signals.

Goes up down = ok, that’s good but has no real relevance to ride quality and dampening.

Six notches L to H = globes/spheres/gas springs/damper accumulators are very very likely past their service life. This means the adaptive variable suspension is severely constrained by flat gas springs and the ride quality will be bad. The L to H test is a general check and doesn’t isolate one or more critically failed globes but at 6ish graduations that’s a solid indicator that all four globes have collectively lost too much of their nitrogen pre charge. Note that this test should ideally be done with the front suspension levelled and neutral pressures corrected. I’d bet this vehicle’s pressure are high but it’s not likely you’d see a meaningful improvement from the 6 graduations with leveling and pressure correction so I’d factor in new globes (with fluid change, neutral pressure adjustments) if you’re interested in the vehicle.
HTH with your decision making :)

Thanks. this forum has such an awesome technical knowledge. As for the year, I have kids, so am constrained into the 2003+ for side airbags. For me, I'd rather have a 2000 without the nav issues etc. And they are $5k less.

There is a workaround to convert the navigation units to non nav if you are handy. I wouldn't let the nav stop you if you find an otherwise perfect vehicle.

He owns a used car lot .. does t know about diff service and really hasn’t documented service, don’t mean to sound negative but a used car salesman being emotionally attached to a vehicle seems strange to me, but it is a LX I guess.

yeah, if found that funny too. I went with a buddy in case I needed to buy on the spot and he said the same thing about the emotional attachment. Could be a negotiating front too. Maybe he loves all his cars. Unfortunately it's a Lexus, so most owners choose to know nothing about cars. Which leads to either maintained creampuffs or people leaking their caliper out for not changing brake pads. This guy is somewhere in between probably. It wasn't a great sign that the other cars on the lot topped out around $8k.

Bought a 2006 LC with 194K miles for $11.5K 3 months ago. All functional, including AHC, but some rust and was smoked in, one owner but then seized by a police department and auctioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom