Quiet 37" tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hankook had a 38 in there mt a buddybran um on his jeep they were light and cheaper at least when he had them which was bout 4 years ago, I wanna say they were 13.50 though, haven't looked in long time to see if it is still around

Hankook seems to have gone typical, which is their 38 is on a 20” rim and 15.5” wide, i.e. brodozer.

A 38x12.5 would kill it since in practice the 37’s on the market are really more 36”, with maybe the exception of the Trxus MT. That’s an old Trxus (grooved and siped by yours truly) vs new ko2. That’s a 3/4” difference.

213AD725-9A98-49FA-B6DE-0419D5610359.jpeg

So why not get Trxus again? It’s been nice having balanced tires.

The TRXUS is a sexy tire, I had a set on my early bronco that i loved. Balanced okay but were incredible offroad.

This is why we went with them, but after driving/wheeling them, I will drop the extra coin for Cooper STT. These are the Mud Hog, in talking with the local Kanati rep, they have the same carcass, so expect the same ride. The ride difference between the Kanati and Cooper is significant/obvious, some may like telling which way up the dime is by running it over, personally I prefer the better ride.

View attachment 1640242

What PSI out of curiosity?

The TRXUS is a sexy tire, I had a set on my early bronco that i loved. Balanced okay but were incredible offroad.

Trxus are super quiet, ridiculous in winter, and they track nice and straight.

But it’s damn impossible to get them to wear well on the narrower end of rims because the tire already turns up some at the edges in more of a balloon style. If you widen the rim a bunch, good luck stuffing them.

That creates a narrow tread width - it’s like 9.2” - that is why it’s a great winter tire, narrow for packed and wide for deep, but you pay for it.

Not that grooving and siping them isn’t fun as they wear, except it really isn’t.

61E6C920-C1D1-409B-A620-9D39F05593BF.png

They are good for soft landings.

What PSI out of curiosity?

From the tire place had ~50psi, rode hard as :censor:, drop to 32psi, some change, now 28psi, still stiff. Had them at 15psi on the trail. On the trail, the Kanati ride at 15psi is stiffer than what I would expect of the STT at 35psi.

Reactions: Nay
From the tire place had ~50psi, rode hard as :censor:, drop to 32psi, some change, now 28psi, still stiff. Had them at 15psi on the trail. On the trail, the Kanati ride at 15psi is stiffer than what I would expect of the STT at 35psi.

Ok. I’d typically run around 28 on any of these tires max or you don’t get full tread contact. This isn’t a perfect chalk test view, but here’s my ko2 at 30 PSI not making full contact and not riding very softly. I’ve been meaning to take some air out.

B356F1EF-BA9B-4D54-8065-EEC53A6278E0.jpeg

I did read a ‘professional’ review on the Trail Hog that it took a bit of time for the sidewall to soften up and get more flexy.

Good data points and worth understanding, although I went out to Moab at 22 PSI and thought it was riding really nice and I wonder how much is truly sidewall over tread stiffness.

Trxus are E and they are like pillows. Way softer than ko2 load range D.

I have about 6k miles on my TRXuS mounted on oem wheels. I usually run 28psi on the road and think they ride better than the 35” MTR’s I took off.

I used balancing beads at first but had minor issues so we dumped them and balanced with lead sticker weights at about 7-8 ounces per tire and they are, so far, the best all around tire I ever had on a 4x4.

Nice ride, amazingly quiet and they grip most surfaces well and a full 37” tall, but they are not cheap.

I have run them on Rubicon quite a bit and Moab and there has been zero chunking nor any tearing of the rubber.

The one draw back of the softer compound is a faster wear rate.

Last edited:
I just replaced a set of BFG 345 KM2s with a set of 37x13.5 Maxxis Trepadors in bias ply. I will never complain about road noise or vibration from any radial tire ever again.

I have the radial Trepadors and between my stereo and the wind noise from the roof rack I can't hear them at all. :beer:

Toyo R/T 37x12.5/17 on the K5; road noise is somewhere between a BFG AT and a Goodyear MTR Kevlar. Tread depth is a bit less than the Toyo M/T and a few others.
They seem to get a bit louder as the rubber ages in the AZ climate. 37psi on the road, just because it's a 37.

I have always broken in any new E-rated tire by airing down to 16psi and going wheeling soon after purchase. I don't know if that really helps to soften them up for all of them, but it did seem to make a real difference with my coopers many years ago, so I've just done it every time since then :eek:

Ok. I’d typically run around 28 on any of these tires max or you don’t get full tread contact. This isn’t a perfect chalk test view, but here’s my ko2 at 30 PSI not making full contact and not riding very softly. I’ve been meaning to take some air out.

View attachment 1640365

I did read a ‘professional’ review on the Trail Hog that it took a bit of time for the sidewall to soften up and get more flexy.

Good data points and worth understanding, although I went out to Moab at 22 PSI and thought it was riding really nice and I wonder how much is truly sidewall over tread stiffness.

Trxus are E and they are like pillows. Way softer than ko2 load range D.

Pretty easy to see you have uneven wear on the inside lugs. might want to get a balance and check your shocks.

I also got them super cheap during the holidays and on the road they are surprisingly quiet, even quieter than my old falken AT which I thought was quiet. I know they are brand new still but they are virtually silent for 35 inch AT tires, very impressed. They also have great review for offroad and I'm really looking forward to getting them dirty.

BTW I totally know what you mean, when i was getting the tires installed there are literally nothing but jeeps and brodozers......then there is my little LC with a dorkel.

This has been my experience too. I've only ran them since the first of the year and only had one snow trip with them down to 8.5psi, but so far, I am very happy with them. If I could afford to, I would run the Trxxus year round, replacing them when they hit 50%, but reality is I need a tire to last a while. I liked that these were relatively narrow too and a little lighter than others. It's just an AT, not one of the slightly more aggressive hybrid design, and it has performed as such.

Last edited:
They key issue is whether you want to run a "Mud" tire. Mud tires are louder than all-terrains because of the larger lugs. I prefer a mud tire because it is easier to sling mud out of the larger lugs and you can better avoid getting stuck.

If you want to run all-terrains, the BFG T/A KO is an awesome tire. Really quiet, reasonbly tough (not a tought as a mud tire but pretty damn tough) good on all surfaces except really gooey mud and it lasts forever! If I went back to an all-terrain it would be my pick!

If you plan to stay with a mud tire, here are some considerations:

I ran through a set of KM2s. Tough tire and very good off-road. I found they have a tendency to cup as they age.

I am running the Toyo Open Country MT now and I am not having the same experience as they age. They are much quieter as they age and wear down. They are tougher (have a thicker sidewall), equally as good off-road, better on wet or snowy surfaces.

They are more expensive but not that much. A real problem is that they don't come in a 37 inch tire for stock 80 series rims. They only come in a 38 inch tire for 16 inch wheels and that tire is 12.5 inches wide. You'll need a pretty good lift to ensure they don't rub.

I am running the Slee 4 inch lift. Anyone running the 38 inch Toyo MT on stock rims and a Slee 4 inch lift? If so, do they rub?

Last edited:
Just did about a 300 mile trip with my new ridge grapplers and all I can say WOW super quiet.
I listened to the wind on my fairing but no tire noise.

Last edited:
Happy to see this thread went the way I hoped.

I guess I have always been a BFG fan. My first Jeep I had old school Mud Terrain put on. My last Cherokee I ran a set of 35" KO's. I put a set on KM2s on my old Durango. They were no louder than the KO's on the Cherokee. The KM2s on my Cruiser were not bad at all when I first put them on, but after 20k miles, and doing a lot more road trips, they really aren't what I need.

More than likely I will end up with the KO2's, though the Ridge Grapplers do look sharp to me.

Interco Truxxs mt

@Nay I noticed you swapped out the BFGs. In the context of this thread, how would you rate them compared to the BFGs?

I see your point now.

The STT Pro, which I swapped to a couple months ago, runs really soft. It’s softer at 32 PSI than the ko2 at 24.

I would say some of this is Cooper having nailed the Armortek sidewall and some is the soft compound, but it’s damn nice. I’ve stopped feeling the need to air down purely for comfort on rocky but non-technical trails.

Unquestionably worth the extra spend - I paid $294/tire for 37s.

@Nay I noticed you swapped out the BFGs. In the context of this thread, how would you rate them compared to the BFGs?

The STT Pro is smooth with excellent road manners over the first 2K.

I’ve been wheeling them hard, and they are showing some expected outer lug wear and the reassuring hum has increased just a bit.

I’ve lost about 1 mpg, expected for the change in tire type as I gained about 1 mpg with the ko2 over trxus.

The ko2 was an incredible tire and for a lot of highway miles/daily driver pretty hard to beat. They were hardly different at 43K than new with 7/32 tread remaining when I pulled them.

For sale, too, for Colorado locals.

But the STT Pro is 3/4” more tire, looks way cooler, is awesome offroad, and is silly civilized.

“Quiet” is part of NVH (Noise/Vibration/Harshness). The STT Pro have no harshness, that tire rides like an extra suspension. Mine have no vibration - no excessive balance. The hum is that of an offroad tire.

Noise ko2 > STT
Vibration ko2 = STT (so far)
Harshness STT > ko2

I think most of us pay the max attention to the VH part of the equation. I ran my ko2 at 25 to 28 PSI and the Coopers are a lot softer at 32 PSI.

Trxus are awesome except for V - super hard to keep laterally balanced.

So that’s one thing to think about instead of N, especially on a rig that isn’t that quiet from a drivetrain perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom