Tranny drop question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang,
Dropping the tranny/tc, what is the best way to support the rear of the engine so i can safely remove the propeller bracket on the tc?

Using the windowsill 4x4 method

Thanks for any wisdom you can provide...

'76 - 40
'78 - Chevy 350 v8

Just reinstalled mine after a clutch, rear main and oil pan gasket job. I used a tranny jack to carry the weight of the tranny xfer case, no need to support the rear of the motor as it’s anchored to the frame via the rear motor mounts (replaced those too with everything out of the way). 77 with its original 2F, hope that helps.

771E2EA3-182A-4148-9D23-1723314A245D.jpeg

Just reinstalled mine after a clutch, rear main and oil pan gasket job. I used a tranny jack to carry the weight of the tranny xfer case, no need to support the rear of the motor as it’s anchored to the frame via the rear motor mounts (replaced those too with everything out of the way). 77 with its original 2F, hope that helps.

View attachment 1640261

He has a 76 with a V8 out of 78. Probably using the motor mount that bolts to the back of the transfer case. So no rear motor mounts on the bellhousing. Probably using something under the oil pan that spreads the weight across the pan and not a single point.

Putting on my safety professional hat, I put a floor jack under the transmission, jack it up to support the weight and remove the propeller mount, slide a couple jack stands and a 4x4 w/plywood under the engine oil pan the let the jack down.
I'm not a big fan of working under loads supported by hydraulic jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom