What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (38 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been reading alot of positive things on the Cooper ST Maxx
Also the Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 - Cruiserdan runs them on all his trucks including his wifes 80 but damn they are expensive
Tires are a can of worms aha I like trying different ones, I have not drank the Ko2ool Aid

I have not drank the Ko2ool Aid
Lots of rave reviews from youtubers who get them for free...... I had the ST Maxx on my Tundra and they were great, currently running Falken Wildpeak AT3 and they are doing just fine. I think the Falkens are the best buy in AT tires right now.

I have been reading alot of positive things on the Cooper ST Maxx

I'm on my second ST Maxx vehicle (third counting the CDN M101). Fantastic rubber. Aggressive yet quiet tread. Fabulous traction in wet/dry/dirt/snow. Now if only they made a LT285/70R18...

I have KO2's, and I'm not impressed with the (lack of) traction in packed snow and ice. Pretty scary, actually. It's gonna take me a long time to wear them out, but I will be going with something different next time.

I've 255/85 st maxx on the 100. They are considerably more serious than ko2s yet are also more quiet

I have no real complaints about my ST Maxx. The only time they were semi-iffy was when I was climbing a snowy and icy mountain with a foot of hard packed snow. Aside from an MT with chains I don't see any tire doing much better though. As an "AT" (a very aggressive AT), they're great. My Toyo M/Ts we're like cheating, just insane grip on just about every surface aside from the street.

I am running the Toyo ATIIs and pretty happy with them . I use to run Toyo MTs and liked them, but they wear fast and for what I do the AT is a better tread than the MT. Now if I lived in the mid west with all that loose soil then the MT might be better. Here in Colorado and in Utah it is usually rocks or solid dirt your wheeling over. They seem to handle fine in the snow and Ice. On real icy days there is a bit of slide potential, just need to downshift and drive appropriately. Not sure any tire other than studded tires would do awesome in the ice. Maybe, but changing tires to see is an expensive way to find out.

I bought another Tundra RIM like mine already powder coated black and was thinking of getting two new Toyo's and making a second spare and putting the worst one in the shed. Since both my daughter and I run the same rim and tire size (She has a 100 series) it would be good to have an extra spare just in case. She runs the KO2's and really likes them as well as my older daughter in her GX470. I had debated about swapping as the two seemed equivalent to me, but I likely will just keep to what I have

I use to run Toyo MTs and liked them, but they wear fast and for what I do the AT is a better tread than the MT.

This was my thinking too. You have to be honest with yourself. Sure M/Ts look and perform great off the pavement, but we don't have dedicated wheeling rigs. As hard as it is to admit, 200s mostly see pavement. So an A/T is (usually) the way to go.

LOL, what a conversation my pics of my “new shoes” started! I’m sure all tires have pros and cons...I’m just a BFG fan because I’ve had them on various vehicles starting with my first one (‘79 Ford Bronco) and never had any issues so I just keep going back to them. It would be hard for me to make a change with that kind of record! I just love the fact that everyone is having such a civil debate...one of the many reasons why I love this site!

Last edited:
I've been thrilled with General Grabber AT2's. Old BFG AT pattern at a significant saving. Old pattern looks way better than new BFG pattern anyway.

Adjusted AHC up front to level my LX570. It's within 1/4". Love the look!

xbY4jQh.jpg

TAiHT8J.jpg

Just had my Alu-Cab tent and Shadow Awning installed at TAV Expedition Outfitters using Front Runner's quick release tent mounts.
I went high on purpose, so the awning would clear the rear spoiler when the tailgate is open, but to be honest, it's sitting too high. Now, I want to figure out if I can remove the roof rack deck and just mount the tent directly to the rack's mount. We'll see...

FSufmz-5ydrvZXT3Wmb42UN7VDmyuCdNTVFULxNckeGdyKnG9rc5olDZAvTVJuMNU9CvRFmYemC8OXtb5SqYMBnNPJGiytvIitPt7SqdK6TQdmdyv0QlZkXSI4nb3lbugCLbJxoFtE0mHIqGEXjKL_neKvD34hl848TVECzhz629TX5V1yYTE9Tn0Cxb_qGrrihTEOfmzFdebqfrSfWaf-Bxcdx86A977UuP_59dwrkl0UWJ9Ryp6v6qcsq5Cw7WS80rTz63ghX145ukxj8TNtDjMldtmdO-_VP3_FbUb6mLaRdDFIlVglNK2HStcLyXec1ala3FqXf_xgDab-t5WbQEvgT14DrVwG2UOLlzvPgfB3xxdni5w-uBg-7LPhOmK7h3QHP0zobxsaB2A8a48jDDRpm9HsYQKQIOS4DMUgsiFEpicY7F5taJNXCfw6R6xyDhg0im3fZvk8khVlOVV7cb2lNwuOhj_PZhNQL6m9_raW7awGsxYnde1_wvLALdXH_ICNFxPhaYlAfOvAQwtrxJ_Q4bW2BBCsVzCp0fC_WpYV-apf_1wngmoefgKTw25FADGb5z20IudsIZSTSR3geU6szGiMFu3-msnqkK=w1266-h949-no

W_pyI4FqvqHvjPFO80k0cx2Qb9rRdmByi4ekcvRNG9URadkoMrFL9oHgKGrITW17nCG5DjhanhxKjfd6nQbXBVWpqYCIL_sSzrHrQQRSJcW6MoSNmToJX32xDtsxSDuVwbCGADwVzzDJpFm7kQCpnU1giVaY3fxVM8Jad6evNA8zTPUQfLONKRKrG_xuJgwSE38GDD_GZTv86bwCiUotQ1DP8odGM4s-WxuvzO3D2mZzaZ9d_7Q1-CQhA6D2rXoJNydbbBgsmKaXtzptLXYRX3FaHnbc2YcdqGQX1W7dnr_bwDHBjByjY01xDepszAV5eV8NEYsCQ8kr3mVfgyptqSxaPcmqgKKuqpdCz1ppC8afev9Mhu3EDd3DJoA28lC3DfmbhNC_HKOhy2Mes5qZ7I807iN_n9RTTKbnejaOH_bBHKUzIHCbwnNI7nROIHz5BnRLVnbCISB4xGX9aKkxZ_ROSstGXTtJd-NyVG7M_-oF0bR8ScIb-dV1MJ_JjvWTjkeKFK2LvY19ml51CL6GWnuP4kCjWd88051ZyZio-bcMyZOEnHo1JtkzVPy6cLxGDSqmLJxabjjpHitv8gOuqw_jKb8YH0zubZgEjiXn=w1266-h949-no

R1bFaFYNxtrvi1ZPJfgvgQl058tlVvU7f37AXaMzx3JMuxPg60E2r2N1SlyEUq8o6KuBe2IZWN4J6SS2q62MQu3vt8Gkk-OPf2MRjcL-N9q_nyEghdxtc-8kWGZZt1BPmpiC0neCkJflIr5YDxeRD2rFwV6sGp3qA6vNvMev2gfL51GMPCmLSTwK7c5TWRQ0GatkRGUiiT8EoG7gGhlqLZMy_1isYEFeFMg18nrvXlxdo0qbWYMxeUw7HZfFyQcsJoJIF8gWsqegDXATowCMpuNooDhxKTuRUP4BisrI42hqt9e04lnYp3H-u5gkkKF55n0J5EUKkwWHlYn_AC63I1RBZzO9DGwg8P03bAdOjIE5PXRjrG_9Pn-jkmdb1svIEeuk8QbtihWH2CJo5WvjCkuytsvjEH4NipKeHKx0gqgbWZ1avTj60Wyff8PZJk-SSMpA3C7uz3gUiaUKTQAexnOF-h-c6VFa-LgByen9TTbI_XknB_OWBgQWWa50SbvmGNuck3NVeL5z4p-nlIhBA8pvGhFXfdjj8v2m3mROocCJodWSGaDVwXx-451iX4Irxnl8tnV7oD1ZRQ61CS73FxEp94hbNgT3lUDlJNw6=w1266-h949-no

G0kETqEe2sTLh7z9xrj0n86Yzh-06Y4YuGCVQNeJFDmBI0mEcE7T4I-nriTbxOAeRM1Z8E9Gq5EH-5c6eDtdIPpzLwBZ_tJz1uIQnxhw25p-mEinsSLc8c3t1lYUupPHh14Id2HFOxXi4U2clt3WfLB3zos7Af44tXBWGL1M92nuN1dfwyMpXjjMsPA7LS_63M32L9B-qz6NksCXCluBYZPCecr8Ddbts5LdhcT_O4nnNwRK9mEPW1qrZeem6Osi_tTrzIFOPeYBnr5SRGSbOwBUnvFaHWIj7pLn3XGyrshAhb-oxsKDFHCOZyd_MDoquUKPcoT5hGgai6esxWH2kWmAALjkReZas4wiCP8AgKQ1jlEVTBAzeETgRbG_8MVHQuQWIgMXE18pKCCJ8eHbPXx0_K9SrgFggHNzx2FXSDthrEw1e9g-vfmOfwsr7IgAOAMuZIali_9TNlHOmyvILs2b5hAk3uyearxTc99pkXKDHN7SpnCzPKFKFkHBvNK978rxAGMh4DS-Ex3cCK0mbqSRlGsulrAuQygVw4NmCSs6ViMLZDBC5onfFIndvCd5bDnYq6FHe9otqCeCCHMw3VHjHRCUx_SlNxGly5f8=w1266-h949-no

Also, the included ladder is too short. I'll have find a more permanent solution.

6-gMuwg_lMbUZb8BRtZsaSJwcKzphoNAMujgrEIdiwg9lcsDzdHN1zZBB9oXqq2Mvpmk7aaGFMDzzD7SwYelCD9UYUPOB5vFaNUURw342__xSJHgXg_-p8mokIV4u_guGp9z_7cLXGncOJhdappSbymBiV2ixgB3zrpoDQlIo4zvlqYyQ3gypmdLlA-N9uwscxITNvpGUpMrPSvy4NzTYDazEMauWPhumqbxU660gQbN0idHIFNMjSIrwaF39op5U8u4q4BRkwFC9sxdLCVS72paAMdKtueqcNmWZU-iy7S6Wn2zF-qrByAeL5GkBCJO_QFd7W6sWQ341M8DoOJWqwvuMvtFjTOHfdCNyu6-EithTKDu2M6RxhON7qhH3C8CASVy2uPhNe0Z0QBxbktJYjeho7v0byCkXBo_4MiM51TbTc_EtmBglejcq5WnW7Ld9aUOD4YoNUCCTgWOv741JDUoDEemUV67zJ4wXi61ekKibCEkkl0Vz4cn-kXZ66fJb5eHyeXDf9MSb6nyxl5Ogr_01Y-eQ7HIZ3UFaJNT6Fy6IwY_vJLqc70OHLWY3-w7Y2xe7n6l2juc8_FoazLRII8F9nXXov0NcjXE31GJ=w1266-h949-no

TRD, a couple of thoughts: I don't believe those FR mounts support the AluCab as intended. I'm not saying it won't work, but I think the tent wants to have rails. In fact, after a season of use mine has just a bit of sag in the middle from running front and rear rails on a different truck last season.

I'm going through the same install decision now... I may just mount cross-bars (x3) to the rails to keep the height down. Not like the rack is of much use with the tent on it anyway. Although I really like having the rack space off-season and having the under rack table mounts is cool.

TRD, a couple of thoughts: I don't believe those FR mounts support the AluCab as intended. I'm not saying it won't work, but I think the tent wants to have rails. In fact, after a season of use mine has just a bit of sag in the middle from running front and rear rails on a different truck last season.

I'm going through the same install decision now... I may just mount cross-bars (x3) to the rails to keep the height down. Not like the rack is of much use with the tent on it anyway. Although I really like having the rack space off-season and having the under rack table mounts is cool.

TAV suggested fipping the Front Runner rack deck upside down, which would effectively lower the rack an inch or 2 as well as support the middle better, but I didn't want to give up my under rack table storage, it's very handy. But I may have to give it up in order to lower the tent. Maybe I can move the table to the load bars on top of the tent.

Last edited:
@TRD Burglar, probably not the answer you want to here but I would just ditch the Frontrunner and get Eezi Awn K9 load bars. You can get whatever height feet you want. I had nothing but trouble with my Frontrunner and I can’t recommend it to anyone.

I've had a Front Runner for 4 years on both my 200 and my FJ Cruiser and it's been a good rack system. With the tent however, most of the rack's functionality is lost. I can't carry anything other than the tent (I knew this going in).
The only issue I have is that I think it's too tall. I was thinking I may be able to essentially turn it into a load bar system similar to the Eezi -Awn you show above by disassembling the deck and only use a few of the rails. I'm not sure if this would work, but I may give it a try if its height truely turns out to be an issue.

Last edited:
@TRD Burglar, probably not the answer you want to here but I would just ditch the Frontrunner and get Eezi Awn K9 load bars. You can get whatever height feet you want. I had nothing but trouble with my Frontrunner and I can’t recommend it to anyone.

Can you elaborate what you mean by, "I had nothing but trouble with my FrontRunner..."?

TAV suggested fipping the Front Runner rack deck upside down, which would effectively lower the rack an inch or 2 as well as support the middle better, but I didn't want to give up my under rack table storage, it's very handy. But I may have to give it up in order to lower the tent. Maybe I can move the table to the load bars on top of the tent.

I'm planning on doing a test install on the FR this next weekend up at the shop where I can use some jib cranes and/or forklift to help with test fitment. My initial plan for the test fit is to use 7/8" unistrut to fir out the gap between the slats and top of siderails. And then bridge across the top with the same. I think I'll use three unistrut load bars to help provide support to the middle of the tent base (you know, for the occasional 'exhuberant' two-person escapades... ;) ). The unistrut then will also serve as outboard mounts for the awning. Post to follow...

Regarding the under-rack table mounts... I'll be $800 into two tables and mounts just to save a few cu-ft of precious interior cabin space. What's wrong with me? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom