Double din screen swap into Nakamichi radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought this LX a couple days ago and the first thing I had planned was to pull this dope cassette/cd changer out and put a screen in. METRA is who we normally use at the shop but they don’t show anything for it. Short of hard wiring it which I don’t want to do, any aftermarket wiring harnesses out there you guys have come across that will work?

Nope. That wonderful Nakamichi stereo really limits your choices. There is no plug & play option avalabile. You can either gut the entire system, or spice in a new head unit.

sk8salomon put together a pretty good writeup on the latter.
LX470 Stereo Upgrade with Nakamichi

Yup, get ready to read a lot and dive in, there isn't an easy option. Also plan on either bypassing the amp or replacing it. Replacing it then leads to also replacing all speakers and sub too.

I tried to do head unit first and then developed a ground noise that could not be eliminated due to the way the factory amp is wired. one you replace the amp your sub is the wrong ohm.

Jumpin in head first here. Hasn’t been as bad as I thought

37CD0BE5-E944-40DD-8CAC-26074DD0E9DE.jpeg

Depending on the unit, actually getting it back in can be fun too. In my case it was backup camera, A/V out to headrests, HDMI in, VGA in, and 2 USB outs. When you leave enough slack to plug all that in its like 12 inches of cord for all of those on top of the existing wiring.

Nothing to it! Fit back together like it was made for it. Only extras added on the back was sat radio and back up camera. The trim ring I found on amazon for $20 and fits absolutely perfect. Figured I’d give it a shot before I spent the $140 for the kit beatsonic had. But this is the item number on amazon for anyone that looks to do the swap in the future.

DKMUS Double Din Radio DVD Stereo Frame for Lexus Lx-470 2002-2008 Toyota Lc-100 1998-2003 Dash Trim Kit Fascia Inner Size 173*98mm Black

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJ58JXO?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

It is just the trim ring and no mounting brackets. But the factory brackets unscrew from the factory radio and fall right in place on the aftermarket radio.

89958800-9E5D-4BC4-BA14-164A5334D521.jpeg

Yeah, mine was super simple to get back together and I added every cable you can think of it. There is a lot of room behind there. I used a JVC unit and found a plug and play adapter plug... I wouldn't hesitate to cut and chop to get a new modern headunit in my rig again.

looks good! I need to chop up my wire harness and get my deck, amp and rear camera installed this weekend. Last weekend I got the door speakers installed. I have the same amazon $30 bracket and mantra $6 plugs, not sure I'll need them but cheap enough not to worry

Can you please post the adapters you used, or describe how you wired that into your factory amp...I am looking to do this upgrade and want to use the factory amp, speakers and sub for the time being.

So I actually had one of my guys at the shop do it today that has had a lot of experience with these older premium systems. No aftermarket wiring harnesses were used. He t-tapped into the factory harness so if for some reason we needed to put the factory unit back in we could.

Just put a lexus ES330 2005 86120-33620 nav unit on my 2000 LC, with a JBL amp from a 2005 Sienna with Nav voice. Anyone else do it too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom