2016+ LC LED headlight opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think US headlights have less powerful strip than overseas. Even if we enable the strip it will not be bright enough to be useful aa DRL. Another solution is to replace fog lights with JDM which have fog and DRL in one unit.

This member's LC is not USDM but he was able to wire his LED strip with higher power to light up fully.

This member's LC is not USDM but he was able to wire his LED strip with higher power to light up fully.

I'm the one who did the retrofit in that thread. I did not wire it with "higher power" to get the LED strip to light up in high brightness mode, just 12v. The LED strip has two 12v inputs - one for the running light mode and the other for DRL mode.

If someone can post a photo of the headlight connector in a 2016+ and maybe the wiring diagram, we can compare it to the non-US one. My dad has a 2017 with the LED strip as DRL - I can check if the wiring is the same

Here is a wiring diagram for 2016+. Someone else will have to get the picture for you though.

Attachments

• 2016_LC_Headlight_Wiring_Diagram.pdf
    310.7 KB · Views: 100
here are the pictures......
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1601.jpg
s-l1602.jpg
s-l1603.jpg
s-l1604.jpg

I'm the one who did the retrofit in that thread. I did not wire it with "higher power" to get the LED strip to light up in high brightness mode, just 12v. The LED strip has two 12v inputs - one for the running light mode and the other for DRL mode.

If someone can post a photo of the headlight connector in a 2016+ and maybe the wiring diagram, we can compare it to the non-US one. My dad has a 2017 with the LED strip as DRL - I can check if the wiring is the same

Let us know if you are able to figure out based on above. Thanks!

I took a peek today and found that the plug on the 2016+ is underneath the headlight and not accessible from the top unlike the 2008-2015 models.

IMG_7924.JPG

IMG_7925.JPG

IMG_7927.JPG

If someone has removed their headlight unit and has an up-close picture of the bottom connector showing the wire colors, that may help.

Already posted. See above #25

Sorry, to clarify, I meant something like this where you can figure out which pin number corresponds to a wire color. Close-up shots of the connectors themselves. @HRTROB posted this pic in another thread for the 2013 unit:
img_4404-jpg.1519362

He will have to compare our USDM wiring to his non-USDM 2016+

I have an extra headlight in my attic. I'll get it out later and take pics.

I have an extra headlight in my attic. I'll get it out later and take pics.

Please take close ups of the connectors and note which wires go where

You've seen the below pic, needs no clarification, just including here for reference
IfX6AoQ.jpg

The "top" in this pic has the actual connector holding it in place with the rest of the headlight. I will use that as the "top" going forward because it was hard to spin it around, hold a light, and take a picture with just two hands.
mTaSaLX.jpg

The "top" is the right side in this pic.
OkDmGaP.jpg

You can see the connector siding on the "top" so that should help with orientation. The cord between the pink/orange and the yellow here was a darker grey color and the one on the bottom next to the yellow looked like a pure white.
taP2clF.jpg

Was anyone able to figure out the LED strip DRL mod for the USA spec LCs?

More info on the wiring for the JDM-UAE would be much appreciated. If its as simple as splicing some wires, that would be awesome.

I have converted turn signals, license plate lights, reverse to LEDs already as all of those were overlooked by Toyota (vleds.com). DRL is the only one left but seems non-US may have slightly different set up as the power plug is different, so that is one thing I will never be able to correct.

Did you have any issues with hyper flashing on the turn signals / did you need resistors to get them to work properly? I’m looking to swap everything remaining to LED on my 16 and trying to decide if I should order resistors proactively.

Did you have any issues with hyper flashing on the turn signals / did you need resistors to get them to work properly? I’m looking to swap everything remaining to LED on my 16 and trying to decide if I should order resistors proactively.

Definitely you will need resistors. I have bought everything from vleds.com. For the front I have bought v3 (they have now v6). Make sure you buy vlr-3 resistors which will cover you for the front and rear turn signals (vlr-6 if only switching front). V6 resistors are just plug and play which is great. For rear due to limited space I got regular 7443. I have tried the new regular bulbs for rear but don't like how those reflect the light. You may want to try v6 for rear too since they are smaller now. You will not need resistors for rear if you get vlr-3 for the front.

Definitely you will need resistors. I have bought everything from vleds.com. For the front I have bought v3 (they have now v6). Make sure you buy vlr-3 resistors which will cover you for the front and rear turn signals (vlr-6 if only switching front). V6 resistors are just plug and play which is great. For rear due to limited space I got regular 7443. I have tried the new regular bulbs for rear but don't like how those reflect the light. You may want to try v6 for rear too since they are smaller now. You will not need resistors for rear if you get vlr-3 for the front.

Very helpful- thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom