LX450 engine bay noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, my name is John; I’m new here and this is my first post, but I figured you guys with like minds would be the best to ask!

My partner and I own an 97’ LX450, has 259k on it right now and it recently started making this knocking noise.

Now I don’t think it’s an actual engine knock, but I as far as I can see, it’s not a loose bolt or anything either.

It only happens during cold start and eventually when it gets up to temp, it will go away. It sounds like an object it hitting something else; everything works and is in pristine condition. We really can’t find the culprit.

I can upload the video we took of the noise and also photos of the beauty himself. Hopefully you guys can help us find what’s up!

Thank you for your guys’ time!

That's an odd one. I'd get a mechanic's stethoscope (or a pipe held to your ear) to narrow down the location. It sounds like something bouncing around in the distributor cap, but I doubt it. Definitely sounds like something hitting something it shouldn't.

Have you checked the condition of your belts? Based upon the frequency of the noise at the very end of the video my guess is there might be a chunk missing in one of the belts. You might also check that the idler pulley bearing is in good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom