My path to a GPS Solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been looking for a tablet based GPS for a bit now, but I want to be able to move it between our vehicles. I have a few old iPad 2s laying around but don't want to fight them if they are going to be more trouble than they are worth. I also have the RAM mount for the ipad as well.

Is it worth it in your opinion to jump into a new tablet like the S2 for a dedicated GPS for trail work? I've been doing a lot more exploring and off the beaten path stuff in Wyoming, Colorado and Montana... My DeLormes atlas' are leaving a lot to be desired.

Thanks in advance

Drew,
I am happy with Galaxy. I move it from my 40 to 200 easily. I have the same ball mount in both vehicles and a Ram mount setup that attaches to that. The Galaxy also is big enough with enough capability I can use it for other things while I am on the road without having to take my laptop

I so wanted a windows solution to work and just couldn't find an application I was happy with

I like the Galaxy over the Ipad because I can add memory and also connect it to my computer and easily transfer files via USB vs having to work through iTunes

The pic of my 200 is above, although this picture of my 40 is with the windows tablet, it uses the same ram mount
dsc00066-jpg.1059815

dsc00070-jpg.1059816

So Ken (@Romer), are you running the WiFi-only version of the S2? Or do you have cell service w/ it?

wifi only. I can always run it through my cell phone if I need a connection. No sense paying for two devices monthly when I don't connect the tablet that often

I’m running a 12.2” galaxy pro with Verizon capabilies but I only use the hotspot from my iPhone

Works great, zero issues, well the phone those get a little hot but so far no problems

168E0EC2-D80A-4AD2-89D0-A102A7A700AE.jpeg
Thanks to this thread I installed a Samsung Tab S2 using a double suction Ram mount.

X2 on Android-based 8" tablet. I use Gaia GPS as my primary offroad navigation app, but also dowload Google Maps as a backup.

View attachment 1490090

How does your mount attach to the console and how do you prevent vibration? I tried a ram mount and backing plate on the side of my console with my S2 and its not readable when moving

@Romer , are you using the native gps receiver in the tablet, or still using the external antenna?

I copied your setup with the windows tablet and have been running it for a while now, but like you mentioned, the topo maps are finicky when trying to zoom, I had problems with mine and the GPS antenna.

the native receiver has worked great for me

^ modern tablets/phones have very impressive GPS receiver technology. Very fast lock and very sensitive reception. I've not used an external puck antenna for more than 10yrs, there is just no need. Many of the better tablets/phone receive Glonass in addition to the US GPS system. Newer ones will also receive the BeiDou satellites. The more satellites the unit can receive, the better and more accurate the coverage, especially under heavy tree/forest cover etc.

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom