2.5" lift procomp vs ome (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to select a 2.5" kit and I'm doing my comparative shopping.
OME seems to have its fans. What justifies the price difference when compared to the pro comp? This won't be my DD nor will it by wheeled very often - if at all. I plan to run 31x10.5. Has anyone run each of these to compare?

I installed OME a year or so ago. They are not a soft ride. Still get a jolt when I hit a bump on the street. But I have nothing to compare it to really. This is the only 40 I have driven. I would like a little softer ride since I am always on the street.
What I replaced was some previous owner install of taller shackles and I don't think factory leafs, but whatever it was gave a little harsher ride than the OME. I was hoping when I swapped out the PO stuff the ride would be softer, but it didn't improve a whole lot. Just my opinion. Would love to ride in other 40's with different setup to compare.

Have read Alcan or Deaver springs are the best. They can build the springs to your specs. I currently have old but never used Ranchos on my rig. Will eventually install Alcans and bilstein shocks.

I installed OME a year or so ago. They are not a soft ride. Still get a jolt when I hit a bump on the street. But I have nothing to compare it to really. This is the only 40 I have driven. I would like a little softer ride since I am always on the street.
What I replaced was some previous owner install of taller shackles and I don't think factory leafs, but whatever it was gave a little harsher ride than the OME. I was hoping when I swapped out the PO stuff the ride would be softer, but it didn't improve a whole lot. Just my opinion. Would love to ride in other 40's with different setup to compare.

Did you buy the light or the medium/heavy springs? Front and rear? What shocks are you running?

I bought rear OME and they ride really nice, and am going to buy new fronts shortly. Just wondering what you have going on to make them ride poorly.

Did you buy the light or the medium/heavy springs? Front and rear? What shocks are you running?

I bought rear OME and they ride really nice, and am going to buy new fronts shortly. Just wondering what you have going on to make them ride poorly.

I'll need to check my order. Receipt probably still in an email. I know I wanted the stance to be front a little higher than rear. Bought the whole set with shocks from cruiser outfitters. Probably got stiffer leafs up front not realizing what that would do to the ride live and learn. If I can find my receipt I'll post what I bought.

My 1979 had a set of Man-A Fre 4inch lift springs and bad Rancho 9000 shocks when I bought it. I bought some Bilstien 5100 shocks and it rode really good. The FJ40 with the 4inch lift and 33's did not fit into my garage by a hair, so I purchased a sent of OME 2.5 light up front and medium in the rear. The rear springs that came were the heavies, and had instructions to take off the 3rd left from the top. When it was all said and done, I would say the Man-A-Fre (4inch lift) and OME 2.5 lift basically rode the same. I am sure the springs are all similar.

I'll need to check my order. Receipt probably still in an email. I know I wanted the stance to be front a little higher than rear. Bought the whole set with shocks from cruiser outfitters. Probably got stiffer leafs up front not realizing what that would do to the ride live and learn. If I can find my receipt I'll post what I bought.

I've read the difference between the light and the heavy springs is the addition of one leaf. I ordered the rear heavy springs and removed that leaf, so I'd have an extra leaf if I ever wanted it.

I'm sure you could do the same with your fronts, remove a leaf. A bit of work, but for a nice ride maybe worth it?
And your response helps me, it looks like I'll go with the light front springs myself.

Thanks.

OME with Bilstien 5100 shocks is giving me a great ride. Originally Had the OME kit with the OME shocks and changing to Bilstein made a big difference. OME kit was medium, 2.5”

I've never run Pro Comp springs but judging from the pictures they have 6 leafs in the front compared to 8 on my OME set. It they carry the same weight weighting then the Pro Comp is going to ride rougher where the OME will be more progressive.

I am ready to order a set of 2.5" lift kit and I am confused about the OME vs Pro Comp springs. Opinions seem to be all over the place. Frankly, I am as unsure as to what to order today as I was weeks ago. But I appreciate all the opinions here.

OME with Bilstien 5100 shocks is giving me a great ride. Originally Had the OME kit with the OME shocks and changing to Bilstein made a big difference. OME kit was medium, 2.5”

Hijack....'Which Bilstien 5100 shocks did you purchase; front & rear?'.........Hijack over

Years ago, after an exhaustive research, I put the 2.5" OME kit under my rig. And if I was buying another lift kit today, I'd purchase OME again thru @cruiseroutfit .

Here is what the 2.5" OME kit with 32x11.50's look like on mine.
IMG_1868.jpg

Since you are looking for opinions, and I have one... here goes. I went through the same process about 6 months ago with my '78. I ended up going with OME medium and Bilstein 5100. I kept the factory shackles and may upgrade in the near future. I am pleased with the ride and the cost. I have been on this site for several years and can't remember one single post that said "I went with OME and regret it." or "I bought OME and they suck." My $0.02

Since you are looking for opinions, and I have one... here goes. I went through the same process about 6 months ago with my '78. I ended up going with OME medium and Bilstein 5100. I kept the factory shackles and may upgrade in the near future. I am pleased with the ride and the cost. I have been on this site for several years and can't remember one single post that said "I went with OME and regret it." or "I bought OME and they suck." My $0.02

Terrific response. Just what I was looking for. Now to find a retailer.

I've read the difference between the light and the heavy springs is the addition of one leaf. I ordered the rear heavy springs and removed that leaf, so I'd have an extra leaf if I ever wanted it.

I'm sure you could do the same with your fronts, remove a leaf. A bit of work, but for a nice ride maybe worth it?
And your response helps me, it looks like I'll go with the light front springs myself.

Thanks.

I have the CS002 OME springs on the front. Which I think is the heavier spring. I may take your suggestion and try removing one leaf. Thanks.
As I understand it, removing the shortest leaf will soften the ride. Shorter the leaf, the hard it is to flex it.

On a Hot Rod forum someone mentioned just cutting the leaf so as to leave a spacer. But then I lose the ability to put it back if I don't like the change. So maybe I'll start by just removing the shortest leaf.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom