MFD Touchscreen dead + Non-nav swap update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if you're talking to me, no I haven't. I'm going to start a different thread to ask you questions (tx)

olivertwist, if you find you need another nav ecu let me know. I will send mine for 25$ over shipping to you with disk.

I have not started the pinout chart yet. I did receive a couple responses back from junkyards in Australia, one of them willing to help in sourcing the parts as they get vehicle(s) in. The knobs/display will be mirrored due to RHD vs LHD, but if the right price it will be worth it. The prices @jerryb found are not a terrible alternative with the sale of existing equipment.

if you're talking to me, no I haven't. I'm going to start a different thread to ask you questions (tx)

olivertwist, if you find you need another nav ecu let me know. I will send mine for 25$ over shipping to you with disk.

Thanks! I'll let you know what I find out. I ordered a new LCD screen with digitizer from China, so will take a few weeks to get here. If it works, it will certainly make the whole setup more salable when I go to swap for non-nav.

Hey @Higgin - The screen came in today, so I swapped it out and everything works! Super easy, will take you about 1-1.5hrs if you take your time.
This is the screen I ordered for $80 - LTA070B054F Navigation 7-inch LCD Screen TFT Touch Panel Display Toyota-Lexus HB | eBay
As far as I can tell it's an OEM Toshiba screen.

The only thing that took me some careful experimenting is the actual ribbon cable connector. After I figured it out it came apart and back together very easily.

I took a picture for you. First, lift the little metal bar up, and then using a small screw driver or plastic pry bar, push the brown plastic bar out towards where the ribbon enters the connector. That loosens everything up, and you can pull the ribbon out.

If go for it and have questions along the way, let me know.
IMG_0022.JPG

This is significant - if I understand correctly? You replaced a broken OEM 06 100 series NAV screen with an $80 eBay part! Fantastic. This would make me feel a lot more comfortable about a later model Hundy. Add a Bluetooth input and I’d say we’re there!

You might be able to use a $25-30 digitizer off of ebay since it looks like the digitizer for the Toshiba units used in Toyota's of this vintage are interchangeable (according to some of the Aliexpress vendors). That being said, I would opt for the complete unit instead having to pry the old digitizer off and re-tape/re-glue the new one on. Especially if the complete units are truly made in Japan Toshiba units instead of the Chinese digitizers.

Last edited:
@LostAfrican - That's correct, easy swap and everything works again. A VAIS or GROM Bluetooth addition would be an easy addition. Note that my issue was the physical screen not being responsive to touch due to a crack in the screen. There are others that have a problem with the screen going black, or getting some type of error messages on the screen, which is likely due to the circuit board, not the screen.

@BudgetLC - I actually had a crack in my digitizer screen and was starting to get some discoloration in the LCD below, so I think I needed to replace the whole piece anyways. Plus it was as simple as sliding two new ribbons into the circuit board and screwing everything back together.

Hey @Higgin - The screen came in today, so I swapped it out and everything works! Super easy, will take you about 1-1.5hrs if you take your time.
This is the screen I ordered for $80 - LTA070B054F Navigation 7-inch LCD Screen TFT Touch Panel Display Toyota-Lexus HB | eBay
As far as I can tell it's an OEM Toshiba screen.

The only thing that took me some careful experimenting is the actual ribbon cable connector. After I figured it out it came apart and back together very easily.

I took a picture for you. First, lift the little metal bar up, and then using a small screw driver or plastic pry bar, push the brown plastic bar out towards where the ribbon enters the connector. That loosens everything up, and you can pull the ribbon out.

If go for it and have questions along the way, let me know.
View attachment 1606937

THANK YOU! Oh man, I am ordering the screen right now! Can't wait to ge tthat thing in and actually be able to use my nav unit! Thanks for the pictures also! I think while I have it apart, I'm going to go ahead and get the Vais bluetooth module also. But anyway, thanks again, this is going to save a lot of hassle and money! I'll post an update when I get mine installed also.

Last edited:
@olivertwist Hey, I just wanted to say thanks again! About a month ago, I got my new screen from the Ebay link that you posted. Finally got around to installing it yesterday. Works like brand new! Took probably a hour and a half going my normal turtle speed. Thanks for the tips. Probably would of figured it out eventually, but that saved a lot of time. While I was in there, I also installed the Vais Bluetooth module, so now I can use my phone to stream music and control it using the factory system.

For anyone replacing this screen in the future, make sure you have a JIS tipped screwdriver on hand. All the screws you have to remove and put back together are all JIS. I used a JIS #2 size and it worked perfect. JIS screwdrivers can be hard to find in the states, but I have a few on hand that I bought from Amazon for working on my Honda and Kawasaki motorcycles. You CAN make a phillips head driver do it, but there is a fairly high likely hood you will strip a screw head out and good luck trying to find another!

@Higgin Glad to hear it was successful! After you're initial post about the VAIS Bluetooth module, I actually went and installed one in mine too!:cheers:

@olivertwist Awesome! Real quick question, how exactly did you pair your phone up with the vais module? I'm not having luck figuring it out. Do you just pair it through the normal bluetooth setup like you were just using it to make calls via the OEM setup? Or is there a separate way to pair to the VAIS module? The steps it says to do in the Vais manual don't really match up with what I get on my Nav screen. After looking through every menu, the only thing I can find is the stock oem bluetooth pairing.

@Higgin Only thing I had to do, using an iPhone, was select the "SL3B" bluetooth on the iPhone. No other steps. Just select "Disc" on the radio unit and it plays..

@olivertwist Awesome! Real quick question, how exactly did you pair your phone up with the vais module? I'm not having luck figuring it out. Do you just pair it through the normal bluetooth setup like you were just using it to make calls via the OEM setup? Or is there a separate way to pair to the VAIS module? The steps it says to do in the Vais manual don't really match up with what I get on my Nav screen. After looking through every menu, the only thing I can find is the stock oem bluetooth pairing.

Can you post a link to where you bought your Bluetooth adaptor?
I'm going to have to replace my screen as it is dark while the bulbs warm up when it's cold, it still works fine but it is dim, the colder it is the dimmer it is.
So as long as I'm in there....

@Higgin Only thing I had to do, using an iPhone, was select the "SL3B" bluetooth on the iPhone. No other steps. Just select "Disc" on the radio unit and it plays..

Yeah, I got it figured out....turns out the bluetooth on my phone was broken. It was time for a new phone anyway. Once I got the new phone, bam, connected no problem. Sounds great!

Can you post a link to where you bought your Bluetooth adaptor?
I'm going to have to replace my screen as it is dark while the bulbs warm up when it's cold, it still works fine but it is dim, the colder it is the dimmer it is.
So as long as I'm in there....

I bought mine off of amazon. It's not exactly cheap, but it works really well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BTMSPBY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, I got it figured out....turns out the bluetooth on my phone was broken. It was time for a new phone anyway. Once I got the new phone, bam, connected no problem. Sounds great!

I bought mine off of amazon. It's not exactly cheap, but it works really well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BTMSPBY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excuse me for being dim, but if this does everything the description says that price isn't that bad.
So this plugs into the factory stereo and then I can control my iphone with it to run Spotify? Podcasts?
I am running a fm transmitter right now which works ok.
So can you elaborate a little on what this gadget does?

Excuse me for being dim, but if this does everything the description says that price isn't that bad.
So this plugs into the factory stereo and then I can control my iphone with it to run Spotify? Podcasts?
I am running a fm transmitter right now which works ok.
So can you elaborate a little on what this gadget does?

No problem, I'll try to explain it a little better. Maybe some others with it can chime in also.
It plugs into the back of the factory stereo. The unit itself is a small box, maybe 3x4x1.5 inches or so. I ran the wires behind the dash over to the glovebox, stuck the unit in there. It functions as the interface between your phone and the factory radio, via bluetooth. It allows you to listen to spotify, pandora, podcasts, saved mp3s, whatever you want basically. If your phone can output it via bluetooth, it should come through the car radio. You can't totally control your phone with it, but it offers functionality like being able to skip tracks, fast forward/rewind, access saved mp3s via the vehicle touchscreen, also allows you to use the steering wheel controls to skip tracks, etc. Its not going to do fancy stuff like in new cars such as display album art on the touchscreen or anything like that. Basically just text of the track/artist. Personally, I have only used it with the Pandora app so far, but it works great with that. I get in, start the truck, the unit automatically links up with my phone via BT, I start the actual Pandora app on the phone itself, then set the phone in the cup holder and don't touch it again until I get out of the truck. Only thing I haven't been able to do yet is get it to display the song title/artist info on the nav sceen. Not sure if that functionality just doesn't work with Pandora itself, or user error lol. But it allows me to keep my hands on the wheel at all times. Song comes up I dont like? Hit skip on the steering wheel, next song. EZPZ. I used to also use an fm transmitter, but the sound was horrible and I hated having to mess with my phone whenever I wanted to skip a track or hear another song. Sound quality through the VAIS unit is very good IMO. At least on par with using the 6 disk changer. If you use your bluetooth for making calls, that is still handled through the factory nav as it always was. I was a little hesitant about dropping the $$ on it initially, but I feel its worth it. Since we can't just change out our radio to something new, this at least helps bring us a little closer to modern times as far as functionality is concerned. If you have any other questions, let me know!

Oh, BTW, if you do decide to get the VAIS unit, make sure to go to their website and find out which unit you need. There is a different one for lexus models and another for toyota. So don't just get the one I linked, that was for a Lexus, probably wont work on your 2004 LC. I think the one you would need is the SL3B-T

Someone might be able to make a fair amount of extra income by coming up with a kit to do this swap, since all these head units are getting close to needing service and amplifier problems. And you can add updated maps and etc. to a new head unit.

When I went to buy a LX, I purposely stayed with a model pre-2002 for the headunit reason. I fight the "obsolete" electronics battle daily at work.

Thank you @Higgin, that was the exact info I was looking for.

I put the unit you linked to in my Amazon cart but I will research for the Toyota one.

I hate that to pause a podcast/music I have to grab my iPad from the passenger seat.
I can't get my phone to sync with the truck for phone calls so that's not an issue. But this thing sounds like exactly what I am looking for.
Thank you again.

P.S.-I assume you have to run power to it? Did you wire it to the fuse box using a switched power source?

Thank you @Higgin, that was the exact info I was looking for.

I put the unit you linked to in my Amazon cart but I will research for the Toyota one.

I hate that to pause a podcast/music I have to grab my iPad from the passenger seat.
I can't get my phone to sync with the truck for phone calls so that's not an issue. But this thing sounds like exactly what I am looking for.
Thank you again.

P.S.-I assume you have to run power to it? Did you wire it to the fuse box using a switched power source?

No problem! No, you don't need to run power to the Vais unit. It pulls power from the factory head unit. There is only one wire for the install. It has 2 plugs on one end (1 male, 1 female) and then 1 plug on the other end. The end with just 1 plug goes to the Vais unit. The other side you just unplug a certain wire harness from the back of the radio, that harness plugs into the female Vais plug, then the male plug plugs back into the radio where you unpluged the factory wire harness plug. It basically just makes the Vais unit in-line going from the factory harness to the head unit. If you've had the radio out before, the install is super simple. It took me a bit to figure out how to get the radio out. Other than that, the only other issue I had was getting the wire over to the glovebox from the head unit. It's tight back there! Took a few minutes, but got it. There is also a usb outlet on the Vais unit that you can use to plug in a charger cable for whatever you need to charge. I plan to use it on mine and run the cable behind the dash and out the cassette hole when I install my Owl Expedition Media Mount this weekend. OWL EXPEDITION Then I won't have cables falling all over the place when I have my phone mounted on the media mount. If you have anymore questions, just let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom