Hello suggestions for having my 77 steering box rebuilt ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys
Need suggestions on getting a rebuilt steering box for my 77
Mines very leaky
BTB sells them on eBay and you send them your old one
Any other suggestions?
Cheers
Thanks
-artie

I messaged him earlier, haven’t heard back yet. And the shop phone seems to be disconnected

Patience grasshopper, Mark moves to his own rhythm. But he is wise in the ways of the landcruiser, and therefore worth the wait.

Patience grasshopper, Mark moves to his own rhythm. But he is wise in the ways of the landcruiser, and therefore worth the wait.

X2 it is worth the wait to get it done right.

Didn’t realize I gotta take my fender off to get the old one out
Pitman arm removal was a fail
2 pullers down

@65swb45

www.marksoffroad.net

He's playing in the desert. Should be back this weekend, I think.

He did this one for @DSB345

image-jpg.1216535

Last edited:
Thanks for putting in the good words guys. Artie and I connected yesterday and the sbx is on its way.

Spike Strip,
That steering box looks great. Does Marks send it back looking like that or did you cherry it up like that?
Also was your steering sloppy and did having the box rebuilt fix it? I have an '82 fj40 that wanders down the road a bit.
Thanks a bunch,
John

Spike Strip,
That steering box looks great. Does Marks send it back looking like that or did you cherry it up like that?
Also was your steering sloppy and did having the box rebuilt fix it? I have an '82 fj40 that wanders down the road a bit.
Thanks a bunch,
John

I can answer that. All boxes are cleaned. Virtually all get painted. @DSB345 is doing a frame up resto, so I put on new hardware and had his shield brackets replated (with a bunch of other parts) Other than the plating, the rest can be easily accommodated. You can always leave a VM at the shop if you need more info; I don’t do emails or PMs.

As for the tech question, just grab the steering shaft at the rag joint and note how far you have to rotate it before the pitman arm moves. That is your free play. While adjustment is easy, I don’t recommend JUST tightening a box that’s never been opened in 35 years. These are the guys who end up scouring the net for NLA bearings.

Best

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom