100 series vs 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My husband has been eyeing a LC for awhile now, to be used as a semi daily driver (he has a company car, but would be using this some for personal errands and occasionally driving the kids around, driving a few times a year to our mountain house about 200 miles away) as well as being interested in something he can take off road. I am going to look at three vehicles to possibly surprise him with, but would like to know the pros and cons of each series.
1. 01 LC, one owner in NC for life of vehicle, all service records present, all services done at the Toyota dealership, 239k, very good condition inside and out...asking 11.9k which I find high

2. 00 LC, 2 owners, both in NC, has a good amount of service records, 224k, good condition inside and out, asking 7400

3. 95 LC, 191k miles on the body, 12k miles on rebuilt engine, 2 local owners, good condition inside and out, asking 7300

I think it all depends on what exactly you are looking for. I picked up my 98 with full service records, 1 accident and 207k miles for 6400 in december of 16. If you are comparing 80 vs 100 the biggest concern is the ifs vs solid axle if you are planning on building an incredible off road vehicle with less daily driving than the 80, but if you are going to be doing mostly daily driving but still want a extreemly capable vehicle for off roading go with the 100. Depending on budget off those 3 vehicles and what it sounds like your going to use it for i would pick 2 100 is going to have more luxurious. there is currenlty a 93 80 with triple lockers in nc for 7950 and only 150k miles, also i am always weary of people saying rebuilt engines anyone can say that. your going to want proof

Unless your husband will use it primarily in very rough offroad conditions, I would definitely get a 100. Of course you are on the 100 forum, so you might get some biased replies! The 100 is definitely a more pleasant drive on road, much more civilized, better tracking, better power, better mileage, more comfortable, and I would argue, a more reliable engine. All that, and it still does shockingly well offroad.

When looking for a used Land Cruiser, I would almost not pay attention to miles. Maintenance history, condition, and rust are the big considerations. Have you seen good pictures of the rust situation from underneath those trucks you’re considering?

Good luck! He’s going to love it.

1. Is high. But depends on local market. If your willing to go out of area/state you can do better.

2. Sound like good deals.

3. 80’s are better off road but somewhat lack comfort. If he’s not doing hard core the 100 is a better all around utility vehicle.

#2 is a 2000 which seem to have more transmission issues.

#3 has a "rebuilt" engine which makes me nervous. Most rebuilds are far inferior to the original. You'd have to make sure it wasn't just a top end rebuild, aka head gasket and valve job in which case it would be good.

#1 is a bit pricey but don't underestimate a great maintenance history.

#2 is a 2000 which seem to have more transmission issues.
The transmission issue is very rare, there are tons of 2000 model years still running just fine. Mine included.

I would go with one of the 100s for more comfort and safety features. And I wouldn’t rule out the 2000.

The transmission issue is very rare, there are tons of 2000 model years still running just fine. Mine included.

I would go with one of the 100s for more comfort and safety features. And I wouldn’t rule out the 2000.

I'm afraid you're on borrowed time. :hillbilly:

More often than not this will be an around town car. He wants something with off road capabilities, but it’s not something he will (for now) be into hardcore, he’s just starting to explore more about that side of things.

I think I am a little bit biased towards the 100 series myself. The 80 just happened to have a brush guard, the interior color he likes best, and dark exterior color which he also prefers.

I currently am looking mostly in the Raleigh and Charlotte areas because I am not too far from either location. Definitely willing to look a little bit further out as well, I have looked a little bit some of the South Carolina and Georgia options. I plan to look for rust, etc when seeing both, from photos it doesn’t appear to be a concern, but pictures don’t always show it all.

I would love to get my hands on the 01 with all dealership service, it appears to be owned by an older man who babied it, but currently 11.9k is a little higher than I’m willing to pay for something that is more of a toy.

More often than not this will be an around town car. He wants something with off road capabilities, but it’s not something he will (for now) be into hardcore, he’s just starting to explore more about that side of things.

I think I am a little bit biased towards the 100 series myself. The 80 just happened to have a brush guard, the interior color he likes best, and dark exterior color which he also prefers.

I currently am looking mostly in the Raleigh and Charlotte areas because I am not too far from either location. Definitely willing to look a little bit further out as well, I have looked a little bit some of the South Carolina and Georgia options. I plan to look for rust, etc when seeing both, from photos it doesn’t appear to be a concern, but pictures don’t always show it all.

I would love to get my hands on the 01 with all dealership service, it appears to be owned by an older man who babied it, but currently 11.9k is a little higher than I’m willing to pay for something that is more of a toy.

Avoid the brush guards. They're just damage multipliers.

Those guards look cool, but just a small hit and they will bend in and dent your hood. They are supposed to look like the bars on a steel bumper, but they are worse than nothing. From what you say his use will be, 100 is definitely better choice than the 80.

80 vs. 100, it depends on your husband.

The 100 is great, it has airbags, better road manners, more power, is newer, etc., but the 80 has that classic look most of us love and they're better off road. If he's a fan of the classic stuff and has an appetite for maintaining old trucks, he's going to want an 80. If he's not married to the idea of a classic cruiser and won't be crawling over rocks, the 100 will be great.

I fell in love with FJ40s while in college and considered a 60, 80, and 100 series once our family outgrew my prior vehichle. I went with the 100 because of the additional safety features and the v8 and I believe that was the right choice. Once my daughter is driving, she'll likely take the 100 and I'll probably be shopping for an 80.

They're both great in their own way and you're an amazing spouse for even considering doing something like this.

These should help too:

Slee - 80 Series Land Cruiser Newbie Guide

Slee Off-Road 100 Series Newbie Guide

I own both an 80 series and a 100 series...so I am familiar with both. I can tell you that for on-road travel the 100 series is the way to go, hands down. It is still a very capable (and comfortable) vehicle off-road and will take you just about anyplace you have any business being, in stock form.

The 80 series while more 'rugged' (and a bit more capable off-road) just doesn't have the same on-road manners.

I am a die-hard fan of the 80 series and have had mine for almost 20 years, but I would choose the 100 series every time if I could only have one or the other.

I think you need to drive a few to figure it out.

Meet up with the local NC club to figure out which one will work better for your needs.

NC- Olde North State Cruisers

they are having their annual meet and greet soon where there will be land cruisers of every model there.

Flint got it right. As both a 80 and 100 series owner, I’d say go 100 every time. If you have 2, then a 100 and a 60 or 80 is as good as life gets. I’m not sure about NC pricing, but a one owner with records 100 would go for $11,000 here in the NW.

[QUOTE="and dark exterior color which he also prefers.[/QUOTE]

My 80 series was a dark color and my 100 is white. I prefer the lighter color because it hides the small brush and branch marks better than a darker color. You could explain that he won't have as much detail work after taking the lighter color vehicle into the woods, if the trails you explore are tight with overgrowth. This might help you convince him of one of the 100's.

If you want a toy, get an FJ40. If you want a DD that is off-rod capable, get a 100.

Honestly, I know people love the 80, but it's still a big, heavy, LONG truck for a dedicated off roader. If that's what you're serious about, get serious and buy a 40.

For mixed use the 100 is better than the 80 in every way, imo.

I've owned a stock 80, mildly built 80, ridiculously built 80, and now own a 100 series lx470 that I drove stock for a year and am now modifying. I'd choose #2 based on your description of use.

More power, smoother ride, more creature comforts....and the 100 is still extremely capable off-road.

Also, a "rebuilt motor" and "brush guard" are two red flags I wouldn't purchase together on the same vehicle. If that makes sense.

@Jabuller you posted in the 100series forum, you want a 100 not an 80 haha

Like others: a 100 is an amazing DD and adventure build. He won’t be disappointed with any of them. That said I would go for the 2001 and never worry about the transmission.

modified hundy is best of both! ;<)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom