Ticking noise after HG and other maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got done with a head gasket job on my 1994 1FZ-FE. I had the head rebuilt by a local machine shop and had both pans down to fix the rear arch leak. I ended up replacing the tension slipper as well. I also deleted the PAIR and EGR. I just got it back together and the timing done but it sounds so darn “ticky” when it’s running now. I used a stethoscope to check for valve clatter but I don’t think it sounds like the valves and they were just done. Also, I drove it for 30 miles around town and changed oil.(Conventional 5W30-30)
I’ve searched and it seems like many folks say that some ticking is acceptable. I can hear ticking from the fuel pressure regulator with a stethoscope. Does that equate to a faulty injector? Doesn’t an injector click a little anyways? What causes an injector to click louder than usual? Other than the ticking it seems to run great and no CEL so far (50 miles)
Thanks,
Ed

The air recirculation valve on the passenger side will make a loud ticking. Have you checked to see if that's what you are hearing?

I had a ticking after my rebuild and it turned out to be low power steering fluid in the pump. I had rebuilt the pump as well and the fluid was low.

Rebuilt my head and still ended up with a ticking valve... annoys me so bad I’m thinking of going through the hassle of adjusting it!

Did you pull the set screw back out of the exhaust cam? Did you nick the power steering pump gear?

Did you pull the set screw back out of the exhaust cam? Did you nick the power steering pump gear?
Yeah the service bolt is out of the exhaust cam, I don’t think I did any damage to the power steering gear but who knows. I used some conduit to listen to the pump and it wasn’t ticking.
Rebuilt my head and still ended up with a ticking valve... annoys me so bad I’m thinking of going through the hassle of adjusting it!
That’s the first thing I thought it was, but when I listen with the stethoscope it sounds great.

Check your EGR block off plate. The EGR pipe can crack the point the pipe is welded into the cast flange that bolts to the head. I have experienced two of these recently that were cracked. It makes a sound like a baseball card in bicycle spokes. I know you deleted yours but I bet a bad seal at a block off plate could make the same noise. Just a thought!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom