New Member--Glad I found this Site! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@LandCruiserPhil sells an adapter that makes the oem jack very functional for on road use... the jack itself is very good

If @Downey says the bar is not one that they used to make its most likely smittybilt then ... smitty roll bars were popular on pre74’ cruisers

Congrats with the first one !!

Nice rig, with a save roll bar and central air-conditioning

Welcome to insanity !!

:cheers:

welcome :cheers:

Am going to bring it to Off Road Warehouse (San Diego) next week to have some work done--brake shoes,

If I may make make a suggestion, do your own brakes. Assuming you're planning on keeping the drums, which I do not argue with, you will be adjusting your own brakes for years to come. Only by assembling your own brakes can you really understand how to adjust them. Also, a shop may not do all the things you would do to ensure years of trouble-free adjustments. You will, of course, want to replace or rebuild all your wheel cylinders. If new are not available, rebuilding is perfectly acceptable if you can find good quality rebuild kits. The rebuild is quite simple.
The trick that I want to impart, to ensure years of adjusting ease, is to apply Anti-Seize to the outside of the adjusters where they sit in their receptacles (cups). This will prevent the rust that will otherwise occur in this interface that will make the adjustment difficult. This small detail will make future adjustments silky smooth and very precise.
Also, by doing your own brake rebuild, you will be able to envision the interior of the brake while it is all buttoned up and you are lying on the ground underneath with your adjusting tool trying to remember which way to turn the adjusting star through the little slot in the backing plate...
Trick #2, if you can find a good quality rebuild kit, buy all you can get. They're not going to get any cheaper or easier to find as time goes on.
30-some odd years ago, when I got this '74 FJ55 I worked hard on the stock drum brakes, got them pretty perfect, Could lock up all 4 on 33s and stop straight with my hands off the steering wheel. I swore I'd never go to disc brakes. I had them dialed in. Every few months, or when I noticed the pedal travel increase, I'd roll underneath and give every wheel cylinder a click tighter, and they were perfect again.
I sorta had to go disc brakes to run 37s....I almost miss those old brake drum days.

edit: replace all your soft brake lines, rubber or stainless braided, your choice.

Thanks Pighead. Yes, the drums stay! I have adjusted drum brakes but it has been some time. I will have them do the initial work and then go from there. Thanks again. Martin

Great find. Check into the clubhouse forum and find Beach n Toys a Cruiser club in San Diego. If you need any parts post up were all here to help each other enjoy this Great hobby

I own a 2014 4Runner and I just bought a 1969 FJ40, original soft top version that was for sale in Orange County on Saturday Relatively all original except for full cage and a front guard/lights that were added (I like both of those add ons and I can always undo the work if I want). Am going to bring it to Off Road Warehouse (San Diego) next week to have some work done--brake shoes, shocks, tune-up, exhaust, some electrical fixes, maybe clutch. Original engine runs great (runs cool and no leaks) and all gauges work! My plan is to keep it stock and to do some upgrades to increase stock fidelity. It will be used for hunting and general fun truck. Anyway, will post some pix tonight but I LOVE my new ride!

Welcome ...........

s-l1600.jpg

Your wife and mine sound like sisters. Mine was harping on me to sell the 40 soon after I bought it and the chorus to sell isn't getting any lower or softer. I don't tell her how much I spend on the 40 and she doesn't tell me how much she spends on clothes. (I do the banking so she doesn't know that I know) Have fun with the 40 and enjoy it.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

My rig is now with the mechanic--it will be there awhile---brakes, muffler, electrical, tune up, clutch replacement, the list goes on. It runs great but so much deferred maintenance that needs to be done. Falling head over heels in love with my FJ40--yes I admit it!

Clutch replacement? That is a big job. One of the hardest. Not so much the taking apart, but the putting back together. There are a few "while I'm in there" things that you might want to do while it's apart. A good mechanic will probably know these things, but it couldn't hurt to make sure.
Off the top of my head (besides the obvious), a new rear main crankshaft seal. Isn't there an oil galley press-in plug that really should be threaded and plugged? Don't recall if you can do that without disassembling the block... The throw-out bearing of course, but sometimes the throwout bearing carrier and the clutch fork will wear where they meet. But if there's plenty of meat left on their mating surfaces, run it.
Rebuild the clutch master and slave at the same time or the newer one will blow out the older one.

Thanks for the heads up Pighead!!! LOL re the "while I'm in there" comment!

Clutch replacement? That is a big job. One of the hardest. Not so much the taking apart, but the putting back together. There are a few "while I'm in there" things that you might want to do while it's apart. A good mechanic will probably know these things, but it couldn't hurt to make sure.
Off the top of my head (besides the obvious), a new rear main crankshaft seal. Isn't there an oil galley press-in plug that really should be threaded and plugged? Don't recall if you can do that without disassembling the block... The throw-out bearing of course, but sometimes the throwout bearing carrier and the clutch fork will wear where they meet. But if there's plenty of meat left on their mating surfaces, run it.
Rebuild the clutch master and slave at the same time or the newer one will blow out the older one.

Transmission input seal, t-case rear seal, pull t-case top cover and check main output shaft and hi speed gear for wear from the shift collar.

All good to know and I will tell my mechanic!!!

Great looking 40 you have there Martin, welcome aboard! San Diego is a great place to have a Landcruiser, all except the freeway. :)

Sunny San Diego? --it was 39 degrees in the Kensington area yesterday--the East Coast guys will consider that balmy of course. As a side note, the guys at Off Road Warehouse had a hard time removing the brush guard from my rig--maybe the guard has been on since 69' and has become one with my rig. I told my new mechanic that the next time I come by his shop, I do not want to see the brush guard, the old Day Lighters nor the old Warn winch on my rig--we shall see if he can comply (am putting on a stock PTO winch and will probably add the new KC Daylighters). m

Interesting the shop had a hard time removing a few exposed nuts/bolts. Obviously not use to working on old vehicles. I wouldn't toss the brush guard or High Lites. Some like the old school look. I have a old Aussie bull bar I plan on loading up with old school KC day lighters. Some thing like in Crocodile Dundee movie where a bunch of drunks were hunting roos.

John, I will take pix of guard and lights and if you want them you can have have them , I can bring them to you in AZ next week. M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom