Upgrading stock alternator to 130/150 amp (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok I did the upgrade I used a remanned toyota sequoia 150 alt from a toyota dealer I have 2 odessey extreme 1500s and a natioanl luna dual battery set up, everything ran fine intially until it warmed up then it spikes up to 16.8 on either battery and then drops down to 12.2 I upgraded the ground to inner fender well to 4 guage and also installed Bills smaller pulley any ideas? Cause this kinda sucks.

Ok I did the upgrade I used a remanned toyota sequoia 150 alt from a toyota dealer I have 2 odessey extreme 1500s and a natioanl luna dual battery set up, everything ran fine intially until it warmed up then it spikes up to 16.8 on either battery and then drops down to 12.2 I upgraded the ground to inner fender well to 4 guage and also installed Bills smaller pulley any ideas? Cause this kinda sucks.

Sounds like a bad regulator. Did you try disconnecting the second battery to verify?

Reactions: RFB
I did dissconnect second battery completly and then drove it for a few miles main battery volts read 13.8-14 after another mile or so it spikes again to 16.2-15.8 then drops to 11.9 ad stays there. this was a remanned alteranotr from a dealer online. wtf

I did dissconnect second battery completly and then drove it for a few miles main battery volts read 13.8-14 after another mile or so it spikes again to 16.2-15.8 then drops to 11.9 ad stays there. this was a remanned alteranotr from a dealer online. wtf

Yeah, get that alternator replaced. Regulators eventually go bad. When they remanufacture them they should do a bench test, but maybe it's heat related, or they didn't pay attention, or it just so happens that it just now crapped out.

Yeah, get that alternator replaced. Regulators eventually go bad. When they remanufacture them they should do a bench test, but maybe it's heat related, or they didn't pay attention, or it just so happens that it just now crapped out.
un real Im looking at the slip I paid 400 fr this and it has like 10 miles on it. Is this defintely the issue? in your opinion and it seems really common with remanned alt.

This whole thread smells like self inflicted pain. Can someone cite an instance where a healthy stock 80 alternator didn’t get the job done? Not a scenario, an actual occurance.

This whole thread smells like self inflicted pain. Can someone cite an instance where a healthy stock 80 alternator didn’t get the job done? Not a scenario, an actual occurance.
My stock alt has trouble charging my batteries up after I preheat the engine via webasto in the morning and then make the 10min drive to work with the headlights on and heater on high.

un real Im looking at the slip I paid 400 fr this and it has like 10 miles on it. Is this defintely the issue? in your opinion and it seems really common with remanned alt.

I don't believe you should ever be seeing voltage spikes like that, but I'm no expert. I'd contact whoever sold it to you and describe what you're seeing.

Im really starting to think the whole thing was a bad idea, BUT I had the Alt. since oct and when I did radiator and oil leaks It seemed stupid NOT to do it, well whos stupid now, is what Im thinking.

Im really starting to think the whole thing was a bad idea, BUT I had the Alt. since oct and when I did radiator and oil leaks It seemed stupid NOT to do it, well whos stupid now, is what Im thinking.
A bigger "tank" in the form of dual batteries has much more to offer than a 500 amp alternator. I'm not an auto electric guru but I have read a lot, wheeled a lot on one battery, and talked to a few people who actually know what they are talking about and my final decision was to leave well enough alone. Talk old timers who were wheeling on a 40 amp alternator years ago. These guys and auto electric experts are the ones to get advice from.

A couple winters ago I was stuck alone in snow half way up my doors and had to spin my 80 on a dime. I pushed the warn 9500 hard enough to burn the motor up (should have used the snatch block). My alternator was not new but the diehard platinum 35 series (not big) was only about one year old. I had zero problems with anything except the winch. I recommend a hand throttle for this type of situation.

Sounds like a bad voltage regulator, little more. Any reputable dealer should warranty that out for you. Call and have a chat.

I have a “new” remanufactured Sequioa alternator from a dealer, photoman’s brackets, new bigger cables, IBS dual battery set up with Diehards and it all works like it should. Yours should too.

Fully understand the frustration of installing something “cool,” it not quite working, and second guessing my whole project. E.g. when my year old to me 1995 Cruiser spun a bearing after already doing the HG and investing several thousand in base lining.... had a few minutes of thinking what the h*** have I done, never should have bought the dang thing.... Calmed down, called the tow truck, looked at multiple options and rebuilt the engine. Couldn’t be happier each and every time I drive my Cruiser.

@RFB I wanted to avoid a bag regulator also on my photoman upgrade, and no option is perfect to avoid it as even new alternators can have a defect, but I grabbed a tundra alternator from a salvage yard. i had a choice between Sequioa with 90k alternator or a tundra with 12k on it. I only got 130 amps but i know the truck was smashed by a tree, not in the yard from electrical problems so at least 12k miles of testing was done on it. Maybe look at a salvage yard. (if they don't refund or warranty it out) What you describe does sound like a regulator issue to me and I know you are frustrated, but It is worth it when you are done in my opinion.

A bigger "tank" in the form of dual batteries has much more to offer than a 500 amp alternator. I'm not an auto electric guru but I have read a lot, wheeled a lot on one battery, and talked to a few people who actually know what they are talking about and my final decision was to leave well enough alone. Talk old timers who were wheeling on a 40 amp alternator years ago. These guys and auto electric experts are the ones to get advice from.

A couple winters ago I was stuck alone in snow half way up my doors and had to spin my 80 on a dime. I pushed the warn 9500 hard enough to burn the motor up (should have used the snatch block). My alternator was not new but the diehard platinum 35 series (not big) was only about one year old. I had zero problems with anything except the winch. I recommend a hand throttle for this type of situation.

I totally hear you, but as a new owner of an 21 year old vehicle that I use every day and travel vast distances with monthly I wanted to make everything thatcould fail new or "better" I bought this bracket pulley and Alt last year and when diving in to repair in my driveway the oil pump seal, the crankshaft seal and install hoses radiator shroud etc. it was a perfect time to install this "upgrade" And I bought a NEW reman from toyota and now messing with it after everything is installed SUCKS. but I hear you. Problem for me is I have almost zero help in my area everything I learn about LCs is from this forum. Im debating on UNWIRING everything and throwing the old alt back in, BUT you know when I do this it will fail. So..........

I bought a reman alt from my local stealer and I carry the old one in my spares box. To me, this is one of those things that you can afford to wait on to see if you actually need more amps before “upgrading”.

Have you calculated your power needs based on the power requirements of every consumer on your rig? Will you ever have all consumers energized simultaneously? What is your worst case scenario?

Last edited:
I bought a reman alt from my local stealer and I carry the old one in my spares box. To me, this is one of those things that you can afford to wait on to see if you actually need more amps before “upgrading”.

Have you calculated your power needs based on the power requirements of every consumer on your rig? Will you ever have all consumers energized simultaneously? What is your worst case scenario?
Ok after removing upgrade Im putting old one back took the 150amp to an alternaotr shop and they cant do anything with it, NOW I need to know what sequence the 3 wires go back into factory alternator plug. cant find it in FSM anyone??

Ok after removing upgrade Im putting old one back took the 150amp to an alternaotr shop and they cant do anything with it, NOW I need to know what sequence the 3 wires go back into factory alternator plug. cant find it in FSM anyone??
Shop the internet for a replacement plug and you will see the wires there. Sorry, I’m not at home so this is my best suggestion.

Shop the internet for a replacement plug and you will see the wires there. Sorry, I’m not at home so this is my best suggestion.
I think this is it I found this elec PDF file:///C:/Users/Rich/Pictures/1996+Toyota+Land+Cruiser+EWD.pdf

thanks I found that pic as well but its showing red black and green and those are same colors I have bl/blue black yellow with blue trace Im trying to decde these before I put them back in and have to pull it because I F^%$ed it up

thanks I found that pic as well but its showing red black and green and those are same colors I have bl/blue black yellow with blue trace Im trying to decde these before I put them back in and have to pull it because I F^%$ed it up
this whole thing has really taken away from the oil leaks being fixed and the new radiator and charcoal can those all went great as did the install of the Alt. its just NFG and that sucks old stock alt has a replaceable VR the new larger Alt does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom