Receiver hitch installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Driftwood 26

White'98--Thundercloud'02--Silver'06--Black'19
SILVER Star
Threads
I recently installed a Curt 2in receiver hitch on my 06. Removed the 7 way plug since it was in the way of the hitch and now find the wires are too short to reach to where i'd like to mount it. Does anyone know if there is an extension or a longer unit is available for this? Not a big deal to splice it but that introduces an extra point of possible corrosion/failure into the mix.
Thanks
Dan

Funny, I broke my OEM hitch, and just received a Reese hitch... The mounting points are all different, and one of the holes they want me to use the threads are shot.

also there is no mount for the factory harness.

I need to find an OEM hitch

When you install a factory hitch you have to cut one of the factory zip ties holding the wiring to the frame just up by the spare tire to get enough slack to move the 7 pin connector to the hitch from the bumper. I assume you'll have to do the same on your Curt. You'll have to crawl underneath and find it up on the drivers side.

Funny, I broke my OEM hitch, and just received a Reese hitch... The mounting points are all different, and one of the holes they want me to use the threads are shot.

I have a factory hitch sitting in my back yard if you are interested....

Use a tap (I think it's 14mmx1.5? I can check), and chase the threads.

When I installed my Curt hitch I had the same issues. I think it’s common to have the rear captive nuts on these be “off-center” from the factory. I ended up opening the rear frame holes a bit and was able to bolt up my hitch then. Also run a tap through the threads.

When I installed my Curt hitch I had the same issues. I think it’s common to have the rear captive nuts on these be “off-center” from the factory. I ended up opening the rear frame holes a bit and was able to bolt up my hitch then. Also run a tap through the threads.

Yup, I had to do a bit of surgery to get my rear bumper installed... a few of the holes in the frame didn't line up, one of my captive nuts broke off while removing the factory hitch... it got frustrating

I had luck using wd40 and a baby bottle brush to clean the threads for my rear bumper install.

When you install a factory hitch you have to cut one of the factory zip ties holding the wiring to the frame just up by the spare tire to get enough slack to move the 7 pin connector to the hitch from the bumper. I assume you'll have to do the same on your Curt. You'll have to crawl underneath and find it up on the drivers side.
Yeah, I see where that can be done. I ended up mounting the truck's 7 way plug to the new hitch and buying a 7 way extension (Tractor Supply) so it can reach the trailer's wiring harness. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom