Chuck box/camp kitchen (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This seller sells the containers and legs. Maybe they can combine shipping and cut you a deal

NEW Set of 4 Medical Supply Supply Set Chest No. 6 Aluminum Leg Set 19" | eBay

They also make them for the Hardigg cases like the one on the left
View attachment 1630608

Yesyes! Medic boxes, thanks @TXSunDevil for the initial beta! I'm finding they're numbered too. #4, #6 (standard I think), etc.

Medic boxes! thanks for the legs link. The more I look the more I find. ebay shipping gets you (amazon has some too, i'll have to see if any prime... they're probably $110 that way) but I'm finding 7" tall boxes, 11" tall boxes, 13" tall boxes, 17" boxes, and 21" tall boxes, plus the 19" legs (@TXSunDevil posted) and used 19", and 8.5" legs. So there are several combinations here to get proper storage AND working table height! Some of the military surplus retailers are in TX, so those of you down there might hunt around those parts! I'd think given the preppers and preparers by faith here in UT there'd be med box suppliers here too. I'll have to look into what available in the cities...

Then there are these rad parts bins and this rad one too, i guess it's a drawer insert that goes into the medic box... (I might have to cross post that in the "how do you keep your garage organized" thread...)

And lastly, check this out... as compliment to straight-sided Al boxes of awesomeness....a damn kitchen (tales and shelves) from the field hospital!

There are also some wheeled plastic HARDIGG boxes as @TXSunDevil posted, and with legs too...

Thanks for posting @rusty_tlc... that's a great find!

Last edited:
I am going to be in Moab on the 9th. Which boxes are you interested in? My local surplus store has quite a few and I may be able to strap one to my rig if you can't find one locally

I am going to be in Moab on the 9th. Which boxes are you interested in? My local surplus store has quite a few and I may be able to strap one to my rig if you can't find one locally

emoji_u1f631.png

@TXSunDevil Oh hell you're going to make me commit!!!!
emoji_u1f60b.png

And no, guaranteed, I can't find one locally!!
I need to do some measuring (and stream of consciousness as I type while I think). Let's see.....

I see there's an 11 tall (6688ci vol), 13 (on ebay, 7903 ci vol), 17 (1036ci vol) and 21 (12768 ci vol).
My current kitchen box is a large action packer (23x16x17, circa 6256 "^3), the 11 tall being 6688ci is probably fine... If i repacked I could combine dry food and kitchen into one, but that'd be combersome with the dome lid... Hmm...
The Medic box being 32 vs the action packer's 23"ish really gives greater volume per lower height... and with 19" legs that makes a low cooking height, the 13" would be about right...

Coleman surplus shows $80-$90 retail (unknown shipping), and eBayers are all over the map. One had $55 and $63 shipping and another had $60ish box and $89 shipping...

Does your local seller have legs? I assume not as you posted an eBay seller for them.

See if they have a 13" tall otherwise, sure, I'll go for the standard 11".
emoji_u1f44d.png

What's their off the shelf price (I'm hoping more in the $60
emoji_u1f914.png
and less the $110)
emoji_u1f607.png

Thanks, that's a rad offer!! the 9th of what, March?

Wait, when's cruise Moab? I should know this!!!!

*EDIT, Cuise Moab '18 ... I looked it up May 1-6 ;)

Last edited:
This is the box loaded up.
Contents:
The stove, tent, Snow peak pot set, castiron skillet, percolator, MSR tea kettle, my Big Agnes holo filled air mattress, my pillow, some paper Christmas plates left over from last year, a few coffee cups and the green box. The green box holds spices, sugar, coffee utensils a chefs knife, flexible cutting board, my Opinel knife/corkscrew, foil, paper towels etc. etc. My sleeping bag is stored loose for the winter, it usually goes where the green box is. The green box is kept out and holds lunch stuff when I am on the trail.
20151213_134737_zpsfp0rcbrz.jpg

@rusty_tlc Looks like you've got the white gas pumper Coleman Powerhouse.. i just spec'd it at 24' wide wide so has to go longwise, but I think the smaller propane colemans would fit sideways in that Medic box...as would the Partner stove (on the wish list)
I'm really looking into these medic boxes right now, BTW ;) Gives me a project to obsess over.
So, looks like you've got the standard 11" tall one, and with the 19" legs that puts the table for the stove around 20"-21"? Could you verify the top of the box in table configuration? and your impression of how sturdy it is? It looks pretty good!.

Thanks for posting up this box!! I have a new direction for my camp kitchen, as I dream of building a rack to organize stuff for road trips, rather than the pile-o-gear, which has to be mostly unpacked to get to food and cooler...

Ciao,
-MW-

Last edited:
Stumbled upon this surfing last night (midnight). I 've since found sources (ebay, amazon, mil suppliers, etc.) But nothing readily comes up of that box WITH the legs. Please, moar info! I love this setup, simple, functional, stong, straight sides...

I'll dig more into this thread but I wanted to immediatly put out the props and ask the questions..
Where'd you source yours and are the legs part of the kit? they sure look like they're made for the kit, they atach to the latches and look to square it and support the table well...
Brenner Table leg sets

BRENNER Table Leg Set for Aluminum Military Medical Chest + OD Carry Case | eBay

Nice! I would move the stove futher from your Rotopax, though. Just sayin

I have a nice big aluminum plate there keeping the two separated...I have from time to time removed it though

I have a nice big aluminum plate there keeping the two separated...I have from time to time removed it though
I saw that. For me, it's the proximity that would bother me. It's those unforeseen events that catch us when we least expect it. With tank, hose & stove that close. Anyway, your kitchen looks awesome!

@titanpat57 Don't be such a tease man, my wife is professional cook (Chef) she tends to bring the kitchen every time we go camping.
Thanks for the offer I'm sure someone here will be able to swing that kind of cash.:cheers:

After my last camping & riding trip with "the guys", I came home and pared down my kitchen/cooking box. I haven't tried it out yet, but I have the contents saved on my computer, and there will be a paper list in the box itself. That way I can keep track of what I used and need to replace, what I might need to leave out, and what I might need to add next time.

LXJUfoH.jpg

Contents: Stove; Butane fuel cans - 2; Can opener; Measured containers - 2; Frying pan; Cook set with two 20 oz. bowls with lid/cutting boards, one spatula, one ladle, one 1.5L pot w/ lid; Cutting surface; Fillet knife; Wiener roasting fork; Hot pads - 2; Wooden utensils (12 knives; 12 spoons; 24 sporks); Chinet plates - 12; Paper towel roll - 2; Bottle of dish soap; Wash rag; Pack of 32 kitchen wipes - 2; Pack of 20 hand wipes; 1 gal. zip-lock bags - 10; 2.5 gal. zip-lock bags - 7; 30 gal. trash bags - 6; 42 gal. contractor-grade trash bag

Rjinga - that's exactly what I have, just a bit bigger made of wood. Simple box, everything in it's place.

@rjinga inspired me to inventory and share:

Here's our large ActionPacker and thus my interest in the Medic box... Better use of space in the medic box, methinks...
This is for a family of 4, car camping/rafting stuff (differently packaged in the boat), but mostly a grab-&-go kit for car camping...
Al 'dutch' oven large pot and high dome lid, 12" cast iron fry pan, GSI Bugaboo kit, 2 burner break apart Partner Stove (last stove we'll ever buy!
emoji_u1f918.png
) just replaced the 2-burner Coleman, cutting boards, flatware for 4, SnP, plates and bowls x4 (aside from what comes in the Bugaboo), lighter, hot pads, kitchen tools (ladle, basting spoon, strainer, knives), COFFEECOFFEE pour overs and filters (and a press fits too), 2-tub dish washing w/ soap, sponge and towels, and requisite table cloth and clips
emoji_u1f60b.png

BTW, word on the street is, with the steel and aluminum tarrifs going in, Partner stove prices are going to hike, now may be the best time to bite that bullet (I've been coveting for years and just pulled the trigger THEN coincidentally heard of their upcoming price increase from an NPS friend).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom