Newbie Introduction and Questions :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I've been lurking for a while, but that's OK since I don't actually own anything yet so had nothing to contribute. My brother in law has a 97 LC, my good friend a 94 LC, and I've been seriously learning and searching for mine for the past 2 months. I've read a ton on here, learned a lot, but also have a lot more questions.

I've narrowed my search down to 2002-2004 due to mileage and condition. I want a lower mileage (under 125k) because I want to invest in it, take care of it and have it for the long haul. I am not mechanical, so I need to rely on family and friends and trustworthy mechanics and would rather spend a bit more up front for more years of service.

I love going on trail, but am not going to be rock crawling or do anything crazy. Primarily will be for washboard roads and some ruts and mountain roads.

My questions, if you'd be so kind:
  1. Any reason to prefer one year in that range over the others?
  2. Is there truly no real difference between LC and LX 470? Any reason to avoid the LX version?
  3. What is the most important thing to look for when buying used? I have read Slee's newbie guide, but i'm asking for the 1-3 things that you think are most critical, not the full list. Leaking fluids and weird engine noises are my go to right now.
  4. The economy is good and these prices are up. I'm looking at something like:
    1. 2002/140k/$13000
    2. 2004/120k/$15000
    3. 2004/100k/$17000

Given these prices, do you have an opinion? Way too high, wait? Get 1, 2, or 3? I'm actually looking at a 2004 with 90k miles, nothing done to it, no timing belt of fluids serviced, basically not much done but oil changes the past 14 years for $17k, which seems so high, but that's what the market is at right now.
Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get one and be able to contribute here.

Matt

Last edited:
LC vs LX470: The core is the same, but there are tons of little differences. Memory seats, AHC, leather type, sound deadening, windshield type, headlights, retractable mirrors, etc....

When buying used and not intending on wrenching yourself, I'd look for:
  • Zero leaks. These are pretty easy to keep leak free. You should be able to find a leak free car in your budget.
  • Ignore mileage. A well kept 200k car is far, far better than a neglected 100k car.
  • Keys. Ensure you get a real master key. With no master you are looking at nearly $1k to get new keys and a new ECU unless you've got a hook-up with a savvy Toyota tech.
  • Clean and complete. If the car isn't detailed when you're shopping there could be lots hiding underneath. Check for rust all over. In your price range you can find something with virtually no rust at all. Ensure everything is there. Little interior pieces, engine undercovers, etc...

Welcome!
Once you get it you'll be so happy.

Disclaimer - I am not an expert and have only owner one 100 series.
Noticed you're in Cali. Not sure those prices are high enough. I searched for months and was finding 2004 LX470 with 160K would be in the $16k/17k range. I calculated $1k per Year and 10,000 miles.
Based on your list
  1. 2002/140k/$13000 If you can actually find a clean, no rust one with basic service history.
  2. 2004/120k/$15000 +$2,000 for 2 years newer and +$2,000 for 20k less miles = $17,000
  3. 2004/100k/$17000 +$2,000 for 20k less miles = $19,000 (Not including other items like TB, Tires, Brakes, etc.)
But hey, that's just my take.

Last May I purchased a clean (no rust/carfax with entire service records mostly at Lexus. 2004 LX470 with 103k with fresh brakes, KO2's, TB for $22,500 in the San Fran area.

I plan on keeping this car for a long time. Hence I picked up a low mile, clean LX and bit the bullet on the price.
Don't regret a thing.

Hey Matt,

Hope you can welcome to the club soon.

One thing I would look at is if any of the 3 have had the timing belt/water pump done. That is $1k on the spot that will need to be done so worth looking into.

The 04’s may have a 5 speed vs. the 4 speed on the 02’. I have a 2000, it’s not the end of the world to not have a 5 speed but it would be nice.

Are you planning to lift it? You may not want an LX if that is the case. If you don’t it may be a nice feature to have (air ride).

Personally I would go with the one with the interior in best shape and with the best maintenance records. I’m not afraid of the high miles on these, I am at 185knand going strong.

Noticed you're in Cali. Not sure those prices are high enough. I searched for months and was finding 2004 LX470 with 160K would be in the $16k/17k range.

I was gonna go see one today but the day got away from me. It was the 2004 LX 470 with 90,000 miles. Needs new tires and alignment, and probably a 90k mile service, but otherwise he said its solid. Sounds like you think that's a great deal?

One thing I would look at is if any of the 3 have had the timing belt/water pump done. That is $1k on the spot that will need to be done so worth looking into.
The one I'm considering has nothing done to it. Good point. So, call it $18K. And tires and alignment. Call it $20K. Worth it?

Are you planning to lift it? You may not want an LX if that is the case. If you don’t it may be a nice feature to have (air ride).

Yes, I am. Nothing major, just like a 2.5" lift. Would that ruin the ride?

I was gonna go see one today but the day got away from me. It was the 2004 LX 470 with 90,000 miles. Needs new tires and alignment, and probably a 90k mile service, but otherwise he said its solid. Sounds like you think that's a great deal?
I would log onto Lexus and see if you can find the service history. It's amazing what they have listed. You just need the VIN. I would check it out. The more vehicles you look at, the better you'll be at spotting the best one.

I would log onto Lexus and see if you can find the service history. It's amazing what they have listed. You just need the VIN. I would check it out. The more vehicles you look at, the better you'll be at spotting the best one.
Already done that! Nothing noteworthy. CV boot leak 6 years ago.

The one I'm considering has nothing done to it. Good point. So, call it $18K. And tires and alignment. Call it $20K. Worth it?

There are few cars that I would say the investment is worth it, and this is one of them. It will hold significant resale value and if you for some reason don’t keep it for 100k + miles the next buyer would pay for the maintenance records.

As far as your lift... I don’t know, I don’t have a lift but I see enough of them with a lift to think it won’t ruin the ride too much. I would just think it would be easier to lift the LC rather than have to remove all the functioning components of a LX. If you are getting an Lx I would run the suspension until it gives up (if it gives up) and then lift.

Hey guys, a quick update on the search. I've put in several offers but no luck yet. As I search online I had been ignoring northern vehicles due to my fear of rust and harsh winters on an engine. Am I right or wrong on this fact?

Since I live in CA, I am pretty pot-committed once I fly out to see one. I'm sure if I call I'll be told it's rust free.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Pay $5k more and buy local?

I flew to MS to buy mine and drove the 600 miles home. I am sure from your area you can hit AZ in a day and that opens up a big market. Worse case scenario jump on a $125 Southwest flight back home.

Dont rush. I looked for 6 months before I found one I was satisfied with. I know its tough, but eventually the right deal will show up.

Hey all,

I've been lurking for a while, but that's OK since I don't actually own anything yet so had nothing to contribute. My brother in law has a 97 LC, my good friend a 94 LC, and I've been seriously learning and searching for mine for the past 2 months. I've read a ton on here, learned a lot, but also have a lot more questions.

I've narrowed my search down to 2002-2004 due to mileage and condition. I want a lower mileage (under 125k) because I want to invest in it, take care of it and have it for the long haul. I am not mechanical, so I need to rely on family and friends and trustworthy mechanics and would rather spend a bit more up front for more years of service.

I love going on trail, but am not going to be rock crawling or do anything crazy. Primarily will be for washboard roads and some ruts and mountain roads.

My questions, if you'd be so kind:
  1. Any reason to prefer one year in that range over the others?
  2. Is there truly no real difference between LC and LX 470? Any reason to avoid the LX version?
  3. What is the most important thing to look for when buying used? I have read Slee's newbie guide, but i'm asking for the 1-3 things that you think are most critical, not the full list. Leaking fluids and weird engine noises are my go to right now.
  4. The economy is good and these prices are up. I'm looking at something like:
    1. 2002/140k/$13000
    2. 2004/120k/$15000
    3. 2004/100k/$17000

Given these prices, do you have an opinion? Way too high, wait? Get 1, 2, or 3? I'm actually looking at a 2004 with 90k miles, nothing done to it, no timing belt of fluids serviced, basically not much done but oil changes the past 14 years for $17k, which seems so high, but that's what the market is at right now.
Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get one and be able to contribute here.

Matt

I’m from SF area and searched throughout California last summer. I was find more 100 series in southern CA than up here. I even flew down to San Diego to see a few. I found a dealer that specializes in 4runners and 100 series, all CA and AZ no rust vehicles. Their price is a little bit pricey but they’re really clean. They had probably 10 LX and 7 LCs when I was there last summer. I think it’s Miramar Motorsports in SD.

I just checked cars.com and found 3 2006 LX in the 17k-19k range in southern ca. If these are clean with services completed I think they’re a decent buy. THe mileage is around 150k but you shouldn’t worry about that too much if it’s been well kept.

I searched for 6 months and was lucky to find one at a Lexus dealership in sf. It was a trade in and I bought it the same day. The car wasn’t even washed yet. 2007 LX with 135k for $21k. Luckily it is one owner, all services done, and no accidents. Only one very small ding on the wheel well that I can only see in bright sun and certain angles.

Go to the Lexus dealerships and introduce yourself and that you’re interested in a 100 series. The salesperson texted me the same day the LX was traded in. Just my .02 cents.

Hey Matt,

Hope you can welcome to the club soon.

The 04’s may have a 5 speed vs. the 4 speed on the 02’. I have a 2000, it’s not the end of the world to not have a 5 speed but it would be nice.

Personally I would go with the one with the interior in best shape and with the best maintenance records. I’m not afraid of the high miles on these, I am at 185knand going strong.

You did so well with this post until you said “air ride”! Lifting a LX and gutting the AHC isn’t a huge deal, but it isn’t necessary either. If the AHC (by the way, it’s HYDRAULIC) is still functioning properly, you can trick it into staying at its “high” setting all the time. This is basically a 2.5” lift over the normal/neutral height.

The best point you made here is “I’m not afraid of high miles”. These cars are built to last. And they do! I’m selling an ‘06 LX and the people who test drove it last night said “wow, this is like a brand new car”. It has 200,000 on it.

You did so well with this post until you said “air ride”! Lifting a LX and gutting the AHC isn’t a huge deal, but it isn’t necessary either. If the AHC (by the way, it’s HYDRAULIC) is still functioning properly, you can trick it into staying at its “high” setting all the time. This is basically a 2.5” lift over the normal/neutral height.

The best point you made here is “I’m not afraid of high miles”. These cars are built to last. And they do! I’m selling an ‘06 LX and the people who test drove it last night said “wow, this is like a brand new car”. It has 200,000 on it.

Haha I was close. I associate the air ride as that is what I have on a GX - I wrongfully assumed they had that in common.

It is remarkable how tight these cars stay after so many miles. I’m ready to see how far I can go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom