2004 GX470 Fan Bracket Sounds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any tips on replacing the fan bracket? I have some crazy noises coming from the engine and my internet searches are pointing to the fan bracket. Anything else to replace while I'm in there, besides the belt?

Update on this — The "fan bracket" is actually the bracket that holds the fan clutch to the engine, and it has a bearing inside that is not replaceable. I started hearing a strange noise a couple days ago, sounded like the engine was full of gravel, not a great noise. Internet searching pointed me toward the bearing in the fan bracket, and I could see the fan clutch wobble a bit while the engine was running. I drove about 20 miles like this before the noise went away... for about 10 seconds before the belt broke. The bearing completely seized and the fan could not turn. I drove about 10 miles home with no belt, so no power steering, heater on high, and watching the temp and voltage on the Torque app. Temp never went above 195, temp gauge never moved above the middle position, which was surprising to me. If voltage started to drop I would have had to park it on the side of the road, but I made it home no problem.

Got the new fan bracket at Toyota ($200), new belt ($40), and started working on it this afternoon. It is pretty involved, you need to take off almost everything on the front of the engine, to the point where you might as well do the timing belt while you're in there. The dealer wanted over $1000 for this repair. A couple of things though, you do not need to remove the alternator or the A/C compressor. The A/C compressor has a nut and two bolts that attach to the fan bracket, you need to take those out. Some people have said you need to remove the oil filter to get to the bolts, but if you have a long extension and a 14mm swivel socket you can get to those bolts through the driver side wheel well area without removing the oil filter. There is another bolt at the rear of the A/C compressor that will keep the compressor in place while you swap out the fan bracket. There is a small metal tab on top of the A/C compressor that curves over the edge of the fan bracket, this needs to come off. There is one screw holding it on but I could not get it out with a screwdriver (even the Vessel impact driver couldn't turn it) so had to grab it with vice-grips to get it loose. Luckily I have a pile of junkyard JIS hardware. After that tab is off the compressor, the fan bracket can be pulled out.

I will try to get some pics and post them up after I finish this...

[Edited to add pics]

Many parts removed:
cWFSM02.jpg

Remove this A/C compressor screw to lift the tab off the fan bracket:
LIUf99W.jpg

Remove these two bolts from the driver side of the A/C compressor:
a2yKmxN.jpg

The old fan bracket:
jEjC304.jpg

Last edited:
FYI, On Monday the temp dropped to below 0 for the first time this season here in the Boulder/Denver area.

I thought it was a wheel bearing noise until I popped the hood and saw a wicked wobble. My new favorite shop (Jacob at Toy-Crawlers) told me to get it in ASAP. Things can go VERY bad if the bearings let loose. While you're in there, do the timing belt water pump, pulleys and really everything that spins.

I thought it was a wheel bearing noise until I popped the hood and saw a wicked wobble. My new favorite shop (Jacob at Toy-Crawlers) told me to get it in ASAP. Things can go VERY bad if the bearings let loose. While you're in there, do the timing belt water pump, pulleys and really everything that spins.

How many miles on it? Mine was at about 170k when this bearing seized.

There are 200k on the truck now and my guy said that it was done once (described as a hack job) before.

When I popped in to look at the condition, I gave the nod to replace everything. Piece of mind on the trail or traveling with the family is a big deal for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom