FJ40 Air Conditioning choices Vintage Air or CCOT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do believe that's the cleanest A/C install I've ever seen in an FJ40. Your install makes my older Vintage Air unit look terrible by comparison.
Thanks for the compliment. I'm happy with how it's turned out so far (although the install is not yet complete). Getting all of the ducts routed under the dash (along with my significantly more complicated wiring harness) was a real challenge. Since I wasn't interested in returning my truck to stock, I had no issue with cutting the lower dash/knee pads to accommodate the vents. I'm sure, however, that a lot of folks will rightfully balk at the thought. My poor 40 is nothing special and was hacked up a long time before I got my hands on it.

I am studying the idea to use the main evaporator console with some universal/custom under dash panel with rectangular louvers. as is showing on those pictures.

barracuda.png
Chevy Truck 1960-1966.png
Tempest and Lemans V8.png

I don't like how obtrusive these units are into the cab. Have any of you seen an install where the box is pushed back into the firewall?

Thanks for the compliment. I'm happy with how it's turned out so far (although the install is not yet complete). Getting all of the ducts routed under the dash (along with my significantly more complicated wiring harness) was a real challenge. Since I wasn't interested in returning my truck to stock, I had no issue with cutting the lower dash/knee pads to accommodate the vents. I'm sure, however, that a lot of folks will rightfully balk at the thought. My poor 40 is nothing special and was hacked up a long time before I got my hands on it.

Which unit did you buy? 1100, 2100 or 3100.

Which unit did you buy? 1100, 2100 or 3100.

I went with the IP-2100 that has the outlet pipes at the top right and point parallel to the firewall. The unit that points the outlets perpendicular to the firewall wouldn't work for my application as it would put the lines and heater tubes right into the back of the block/cylinder head. I'm just routing the hi/lo lines under the glovebox and through a bulkhead connector on the heater delete plate.

Lee

I went with the IP-2100 that has the outlet pipes at the top right and point parallel to the firewall. The unit that points the outlets perpendicular to the firewall wouldn't work for my application as it would put the lines and heater tubes right into the back of the block/cylinder head. I'm just routing the hi/lo lines under the glovebox and through a bulkhead connector on the heater delete plate.

Lee

Thanks Lee,
I think I'm going to ditch the old vintage air unit I have and go with this one. I like the way yours is set up.

Hey lelandEOD! What switch panel did you get that goes in the radio space?? That is sweet and just what I was looking for on mine.

Sorry for the hijack....

upload_2018-2-22_8-57-46.jpeg

Last edited:
Muchas Gracias!!!

It looks appealing, but I've already pulled the trigger on the Vintage Air option. If I knew more about hooking this up on my own I would definitely consider a next generation unit like what Restomod Air is offering... I like the app component and the updates.... very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom