Quiet 37" tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, this question could go wrong in a hurry, but here goes. I am running BFG KM2s in a 365/75R16, roughly 37" tall. Love the tires offroad, and the way they look. But now that they are half worn, they have gotten far too loud for my tastes.

Driving a couple hours here or there, whatever, I'd deal with it. Last fall I ran up to NH for the fall gathering. Last summer I went down to TN to see the eclipse. 8-12 hours of the drone really got old.

Hence the question. Right now I am thinking a BFG KO2 in a 37 x 12.5 x 17. Any other tire I should be considering?

Last edited:
A better stereo - I don't think there's much else out there as quiet as the KO2 for an AT.
See if you can sell the current ones a recoup some cost of a new pair if you like them so much.
Tires are an expensive testing game to play especially if you've found one you like.

Last edited:
I just replaced a set of BFG 345 KM2s with a set of 37x13.5 Maxxis Trepadors in bias ply. I will never complain about road noise or vibration from any radial tire ever again.

I’ve been running Cooper ST Maxx in a 37 for over 30k. Nothing to complain about, they’ve been great. About 50% worn currently.

The ST Maxx is a true All Purpose tire.
Very quite
20170121_134449.jpg

How many miles on them?

I get mine balanced and rotated every 6 weeks. But driving through shale rock will take out chunks. So I have to.

The Toyo AT-2 Extreme looks like a good tire. I just got a better rate on the Coopers when I was shopping. I’ve been considering trying the new Yokohama MT’s when I need new shoes :hmm:.

The Toyo R/T is also surprisingly quiet on the highway and comes in a little bit lighter than the M/T.

I just purchased a set of ridge grapplers - don't have them mounted yet but have heard good things about road noise. I'm done with MT's for a while. check out the Nitto ridge grapplers if you haven't already.

My nitto trail grappler 37s are quite with no real hum..
I put 50,000 miles on a set of those, great tire and long lasting but not quiet.

I put 50,000 miles on a set of those, great tire and long lasting but not quiet.
Agreed, at highway speed thay sound like a single prop airplane.

I have 39K on a set of 37” ko2. I don’t have a single weight on the outside of any rim, have never rebalanced them, rotate every 7,500, and they are still nice and quiet and still have half their tread.

I’m probably going Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 next time around as I want something a bit more aggressive now that my 80 is retired from family duty. If mud was part of my requirements, I’d look at the MTZ P3.

The OP is getting some recommendations for tires that don’t come in a 37”. There’s a limited set of AT/hybrid tires that do.

I have the ST Maxx on my son’s 4Runner. It’s a good tire. If you asked me to pick between the two price not as a factor, I’d take the ko2, but I’d be perfectly happy with the ST Maxx. My only real complaint with the ko2 is they run a bit small and in slush the forward traction can overpower the lateral traction. Just a reality of that interlocking tread.

Other than that, they have handled 4 Colorado ski seasons, blizzard depth snow, tons of highway miles, trail use and I’ll get over 50K out of them if I want to.

49ACA908-F9AB-4403-9E0C-D409DB275B8F.jpeg

Last edited:
K02, STT Maxx will likely be your quietest options as they are all terrains. I personally only consider tires with 3 ply sidewalls, which both of those have.

It’s too bad Falken isn’t making the AT3W in a 37, because at 20/32 tread depth in the largest sizes that tire is the bees knees.

I have 30K on a set of 34’s on my Sequoia, and they still have as much tread as a lot of ATs come with new. That tire is silly quiet, heavy duty, and is outstanding in winter. They are also true to size instead of always being a half size small.

Let’s start an email campaign to Falken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom