Need help on leaf spring for a SOA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally pulling the trigger on the build. I’ve been collecting parts and recently finalized the TC set up. Here is what I have planned so you have the info and hopefully can steer me in the right direction. I’ve been sourcing parts for well over 2 years now and it’s finally time to get it done.
Chevy small block installed by P.O.
NV4500
TC is an Atlas 2 speed
Front axle is a driver drop HP Ford Dana 60 with ARB and small discs.
Rear axle is a Corp 14 bolt with ARB and discs.
Steering has already been converted to Saginaw
40 13.50x 17 shoes

So my original plan was to run a custom 4 link front and rear. This is mostly because I ran into a smokin deal on a brand new full set of Johnny Joints to complete the 4 link at both ends and 4 FOA coil overs I got from a fabricator. I think he dumped them knowing the issues. I was gullible enough to think I could make them work. Ugh guess what? FOA doesn’t return email or phone calls! So next in line after a trip to KOH was Kings but then I spoke to a guy about ORI STX struts. I researched the heck out of both and rode a trail with a buddy who has kings on his 4 door JK. Super noisy and clunky. I’m told they need to be tuned and adjusted but that coil overs are noisy. I spoke to a guy running struts on his IH and decided on the struts. But to be totally honest I think I’m way in over my head on a 4 link. Money and experience. I have a good friend who is a really good fabricator but he’s never done a 4 link. So researching and more researching I’m thinking that I’m over complicating this just because I want to stick my dick out at KOH! I’m over the hard core stuff but still want to have the rig that can handle it if necessary. The struts are $3200.00 all by themselves! So I’m really thinking of going to a spring over and save a little bit of money for other things. My main question is about what kind of springs to run. You hear guys say fj60 or fj55 or S10 Chevy springs and some other say custom leafs from Alcan or Deaver. I’m lost. I would like to extend the wheelbase some and don’t mind cutting the fenders a bit and installing the front fender kit from Metal Tech. Thank you for any help or advice in advance.

Unless I missed it, what sort of rig is this going on?

if you do alcans on all 4 corners your probably looking at $1300 shipped I would imagine. but I'm not totally sure on that. How far would you have to outboard the front springs to fit the dana 60?

Sorry. It’s a 76 FJ40. Looking st it and measuring everything I’d say just outside the frame rails. Both front and rear have been narrowed 2”. Didn’t want stock width just in case I wasn’t able to keep center of gravity low. My fabricator friend has a very stout set of spring pockets he did on his and that’s what he plans to do for mine if I go SOA. $1300 for all four corners is a heck of a lot better than $2100 for Kings without bump stops and $3200 for the struts. I want it to ride nice, or I should say my wife wants it to ride nice and I want it to flex up moderately.

Thank you. I saw your build on here. You’ve been busy and your post showing your “to do’ list scares the s*** out of me! I’m afraid to start one. I tend to get in too deep and then get overwhelmed. I’m hoping that I can source everything needed and then get it swapped in and on the road. Then I can work on all the tedious stuff in spare time. I’ll check out Alcan web site. What length springs are you running? I’m hoping that with a comp cut and building new fenders for the front I can keep the springs somewhat flat.

Sorry. It’s a 76 FJ40. Looking st it and measuring everything I’d say just outside the frame rails. Both front and rear have been narrowed 2”. Didn’t want stock width just in case I wasn’t able to keep center of gravity low. My fabricator friend has a very stout set of spring pockets he did on his and that’s what he plans to do for mine if I go SOA. $1300 for all four corners is a heck of a lot better than $2100 for Kings without bump stops and $3200 for the struts. I want it to ride nice, or I should say my wife wants it to ride nice and I want it to flex up moderately.
I'd run the stock 40 springs (oh wait, I do!). They flex really well and the only downside is the stock spring bushings (easy to replace).

Thank you. I saw your build on here. You’ve been busy and your post showing your “to do’ list scares the s*** out of me! I’m afraid to start one. I tend to get in too deep and then get overwhelmed. I’m hoping that I can source everything needed and then get it swapped in and on the road. Then I can work on all the tedious stuff in spare time. I’ll check out Alcan web site. What length springs are you running? I’m hoping that with a comp cut and building new fenders for the front I can keep the springs somewhat flat.

Thanks that was my overall goal too. Getting it driveable really helps the motivation to slam out the small stuff.

The list helps me stay goal oriented, otherwise I just start new projects and never finish them. Then I’m in even deeper!

I am also running stock springs in the front, I pulled one leaf from each side. In hind sight I should have ran fj60 springs. They are just a little longer and much bigger bushings as mentioned. In the back I run xj springs which are nice for the wheel base gain, but I need to find a replacement with a military wrap at one end. They bend really easily.

i run bj60 or bj70 rear springs (45” long)on my bj42, they are the same length n longer than 40 series springs,the bigger bushings flex better.if you can find hzj77 rear springs,they are about 55” long,I’ve a set here I’m going to install on the rear of my bj42 after I finish the front coil overs

74 - this line right describes me to a tee!

The list helps me stay goal oriented, otherwise I just start new projects and never finish them. Then I’m in even deeper!

Everytime I start one of these old rigs, this is my 5th, I jump in with both feet and work like a dog for about a month. Never focused on the of8ginsl task but everything and anything. Ooh look the wiring looks frayed, or that steering column looks crappy or tail lights or fuel cell etc etc. never focusing on the two axles sitting on the floor ready to go in. It really bogs down the effort and motivation. Then I see my dirt bike or it’s ski season or even worse it’s beach season and it sits. It always takes an event like KOH or Rubicon or Moab to get the batteries re charged and me back on the build. I vowed to my wife it wouldn’t happen this time around. Stay focused!

i run bj60 or bj70 rear springs (45” long)on my bj42, they are the same length n longer than 40 series springs,the bigger bushings flex better.if you can find hzj77 rear springs,they are about 55” long,I’ve a set here I’m going to install on the rear of my bj42 after I finish the front coil overs

Can you buy these new from a vendor? Or is it something that has to be sourced used.

Also I see you have coil over front end? How does your steering work with the coil overs. I’ve seen where someone said that the Saginaw conversion won’t work correctly with a coil over front end. My front axle has Solid knuckles and high steer. With 40’s I was planning on ram assist but didn’t want to go full hydro.

Can you buy these new from a vendor? Or is it something that has to be sourced used.

Call Alcan. They make to order. You can ask for standard OEM spec or give them your specs.

I would consider FJ60 rear length and bushing size with reverse eye, pin in the center (equal length from pin to eye). You want them as flat as feasible for best flex.

Call Alcan. They make to order. You can ask for standard OEM spec or give them your specs.

I would consider FJ60 rear length and bushing size with reverse eye, pin in the center (equal length from pin to eye). You want them as flat as feasible for best flex.

Johnson - Can I DM you for some specifics?

try cruiseroutfitters for some takeoffs springs from BJ74 and HZJ77 springs,i see thay have been installing OME springs on a lot of JDM cruisers,ive a cruiser shop here everytime a put old man emu suspension on a cruiser i keep the old springs.
im in the process of doing a 3 link and coilovers,so not done yet.i had 80 series front diff on my truck,broke ring gear twicw on 40s,so now im using 60 series rear housing cut to 80 series width with 80 series knuckle balls and hellfire knuckle n highsteer.

166AA9C8-ABC3-4391-80B5-2A3972E573EE.jpeg

F208688E-2835-4E89-A5CB-889E769093B1.jpeg

31AAAE9F-F67A-4992-A259-CA4AB1548E49.jpeg

Now that’s a project axle. I’ll check out cruiser outfitters. I think I got my dash inserts from them. Can’t remember fir sure though.

We definitely have 7x take-offs here at the shop, some from lower mile Cruisers too. I don't think I have any 77 springs at the moment but @SteveJackson may as we send them 77 Series OME kits seemingly weekly.

If 70/74 springs will work, I know I have a matching set under a foot of snow :D

Can do! Remind me (just bump this thread or tag me here) in a week or two and I'll see if we can't dig em out. I can easily measure the mount to mount distance on a BJ7x frame if that is of help?

The OME equivilent dimensions fwiw:

Front (CS006F) 1155 eye to eye (flat), 560 front front eye to center pin, 595 from rear eye to center pin
Rear (CS017R) 1218 560 658 accordingly

I do have some HZJ77 take off springs, at least two sets I think. I just did a scrap purge and took over 2,000lbs in leaf springs and coils to be recycled.

Steve it would be awesome if you could post some measurements of them. I’m looking for a rear spring replacement to lose the Cherokee springs I run on the back of my 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom