Rim clearance question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello guys,

I am putting my king on to level the LC (using stock rear springs)

I was just going to get 275/70/18 (over the 275/65/18 i have now) Ko2's

The tire place has me talked into 285/70/17 on a 17" method wheel, but the offset is a "0".

Is that too much, i know the tire is good, but will that offset cause rub?

That will create a HUGE sweep/arc compared to stock wheel offset of 60mm and you'll be hitting your wheel wells in turns.

You could do 20 - 35, but 0 is way too much.

0 will move your tires 6 centimeters outward.

For reference, I used spacers with my Rock Warrior wheels in that same tire size (285/70/17) plus spacers that were 1.25". This created an over-all (as far as sweep/arc) "offset" of about 18.25, for additional "sweep" of 41.75mm farther outward per wheel. Add to that the larger 285's and it still rubbed just barely on full lock with mud flaps removed. If you extend yet another 18.25mm outward beyond my example above (by doing 0 offset), you will be seriously rubbing.

Last edited:
^What Markuson said. Ideal is 30-45 offset IMO. 0 offset will cause fitment issue, but also handling and steering pulling issues.

That's what i was worried about! And i agree.

Man, this forum is so helpful- the jeeps forums (i have a built rubicon too) are a pretty harsh.

Im going to get the right offset.

That's what i was worried about! And i agree.

Man, this forum is so helpful- the jeeps forums (i have a built rubicon too) are a pretty harsh.

Im going to get the right offset.

Honestly, this is an amazing forum. You will find tons of helpful people who are actually happy for the success of others.
Very different from forums where the bad-ass attitudes so often turn harsh or belittling. Seeing that here is rare. It happens, but it’s frowned on.

So the best offsets im finding (fuel, Method or icon) are about 25, im thinking that may be safe?

If i put a spacer ont he stock wheels that's about where ill end up anyway? Is my math correct?

If there are any other ideas, id love to hear them

Thank for the help, ill post pics on this when im done.

25 offset can work as others have surely made them work. It'll take a bit more effort as they still swing the tire a bit more, causing inner fender liner clearance issues. The 275/70/18 is a conservative tire (~33"), so it'll likely work just fine with some cutting of the inner liner and removing the mud flap.

Popular spacer sizes come in .75", 1", and 1.25". These equate to ~19mm, ~25mm, and ~32mm. The math is 60mm offset of stock wheels, minus the spacer size, gives you the effective offset:

For a 1" spacer: 60mm - 25mm = 35mm.

FYI, offset is not just about fitment. Offset is integral to the suspension geometry, especially at the steering axle. And it is correlated to the diameter tire size one wants to run. It's the relationship between offset, scrub radius, and contact patch.

Optimal for stock ~31.2" tires is ~60mm. Optimal for ~32.7" tires ~50mm. Optimal for ~34" tires ~38mm. And so on as you can roughly project out the offset linearly for increasing tire size. There's some room to deviate, but going too far will effect ideal suspension performance.

Too much or too little offset results in the steering pulling, under braking and acceleration. If you've ever driven a high power FWD car, that's what it will feel like. In rock crawling, you'll get more kickback and/or resistance to steering over surface irregularities. The more on deviates from ideal offset, the more pronounced the effects are.

Last edited:
Ah!

Now that's what im looking for! Perfect....

Ive decided to keep the stock wheels for now and add a spacer. I want to keep the mud flaps as i like them for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom