Studded snows? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone run studded snows in the more wintry parts of the forum? I currently travel on KO2s and love them but a couple of dicey icy trips on some of BC's winter highways (Coquihalla, Crowsnest, Sea to Sky) have made me think this might be a good idea. Cabin noise would be a negative but sticking to the road is my priority. Interested in your experiences. Thanks.

I was very very close to studding my Duratracs. They stick pretty good but not as good as blizzaks. If I was able to spend more time in the mountains this year I would have 100%, just for peace of mind.

I haven’t been able to afford Nokian’s for my Cruiser, but I always justify them for our cars and whatever my wife is driving (currently a minivan). I feel it makes a significant difference from just a well siped tire to true winter studded tires. If I could afford, I would.

I drive the Coquihalla, Sea to Sky (twice per week) and Hope-Princeton all the time without studs and have never once had an issue. I lived in Whistler for 25 years and never had studs. My ST Maxx tires that I run on both the LC and my 3500 are stud-able, but I’ve never bothered.

Check the regulations before you buy studs. Years ago (last time I checked) it was illegal to cross the Lions Gate with studs.

I think a true winter tire (Michelin x-ice, blizzak) without studs may be a better balance than a studded tire. It depends on what you are trying to do really... i live in Washington state (Seattle area) and rain And wet roads are more prominent than ice. That typically compromises the performance of studs as they can reduce the rubber compound on the road when wet and take longer to stop. That being said, there are a few winter days (today) for which I wish I had studs in the morning.

So to answer your question, all tires are a balance, if you are in Bc living in the mountains or at least 50% of the time, then studs may be a good fit. If you are not, then do note you compromise the rest of the time when the temp isn’t freezing. If you want to go off road, then winter tires may not hold up as a true Mt tire, so again... balance. When do you want performance gains and when do you piece of mind.

Thanks for your replies. All good points to consider. I agree there is a trade off between my usual driving conditions and the exceptions when I am driving mountain roads. Having had one crash that occurred at low speed (40 kmh while running Michelin LTXs) on ice but did considerable damage and other incidents that focused my attention, it was something I was toying with. The feed back from joseywales is what I often hear from locals who spend more time in these conditions than I do - I guess my point is I am looking for all the help I can get! Its -6C here this morning so just hitting the road. Always nice driving the LX regardless of the weather! Thanks again.

I had the ‘06 LX (with near new Michelin LTX) that I’m selling at the buyers house last night, and my wife was in the LC with the ST Maxx coming home from Whistler. She was able to do 120 kph comfortably on the sea to Sky, and I just about trashed the LX sliding sideways down the buyers rock wall bordered driveway. Had to drop it into drive and pin it to get pointed back uphill. There is a reason people run aggressive tires beyond how damn cool they look!

‘13 LX 570. Nokian all the way, the difference in a top quality snow tire is night and day to all seasons. Here in AK I wouldn’t consider not using winter tires . Last winter I was due for a new set of winter tires and had my summer wheels with BFG TAs on a month longer than I wanted, they were scary compared to my Nokians mostly when breaking the heavy LC acts more like a sled... My advice to newbies in AK is if it saves you from one wreck getting good winter tires are worth it. Another point for Nokian vs blizzak vs x-ice is new and fresh the studless are close (but still not as good) to studded Nokian but get worn much quicker my wife had Blizzak’s on her 4matic MB that lasted 3 winters and she is currently on winter 5 on her Nokian and will get at least 2-3 more.

I run the stock 20” wheel with BFG TA KO2 when the snow melts (late May ish) to Early October then 18” sequoia wheels with Nokian hakkapellitta studded October to May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom