FJ40 Transfer Shift Lever (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had the trans and t-case rebuilt on my 5/1977 FJ40. Upon reassemble I am finding that the transfer case shift lever does not clear the shift guide bracket when attempting to put it in neutral and L4. I can disconnect the shaft from the linkage and manually move the t-case through all gears(H2,H4, neutral and L4). Is there an adjustment I am missing or something wrong?

Here is a picture with the lever in H4. It will not go to the right enough to even get into neutral.

IMG_8053.JPG
IMG_8045.JPG
IMG_8055.JPG
IMG_8058.JPG

I had the trans and t-case rebuild on my 5/1977 FJ40. Upon reassemble I am finding that the transfer case shift lever does not clear the shift guide bracket when attempting to put it in neutral and L4. I can disconnect the shaft from the linkage and manually move the t-case through all gears(H2,H4, neutral and L4). Is there an adjustment I am missing or something wrong?

Here is a picture with the lever in H4. It will not go to the right enough to even get into neutral.

It looks like the bracket in the first pic is in the way of the shift lever and would interfere with it's movement.

Sorry if this is stating the obvious but it looks like that ear on the bracket is the problem.

Last edited:
Are you sure the front drive (H4) is fully engaging when you pull back?

Are you sure the front drive (H4) is fully engaging when you pull back?

I'm not 100% sure it is engaging all the way. Does it matter the location of the shift lever(1st gear, 2nd gear, neutral, etc.)? Should it come back beyond the shift plate?

Yes, it should come back far enough to clear the bracket so you can push it to the right.

Transmission shifter placement doesn't matter.

Here is another picture.

My guess is if the lever should extend beyond the bracket I have an issue with the shift shaft plunger. When I disconnect the linkage but keep the shift lever connected to the shift shaft plunger the shift lever does not come back any further.

If if should not go any further then maybe there is a problem within the t-case or linkage.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Untitled.jpg

when in 2wd does the front output shaft spin?
wondering if the shift collar inside is on backwards preventing the full throw of the linkage.
or if the fork is installed properly in the collar.

^^^ what he said.

I did confirm tonight that when in H2 the front drive shaft spins. Neither spin when in 4H and 4L. Both front and rear spin in neutral.

when in 2wd does the front output shaft spin?
wondering if the shift collar inside is on backwards preventing the full throw of the linkage.
or if the fork is installed properly in the collar.

It looks like it is not fully engaging in H4. The shift shaft plunger is not extending out far enough thus the lever is not clearing the guide bracket. What would prevent the shift shaft plunger from extending out further?

Below is a picture of the shift shaft plunger when I attempt to put it in H4.
IMG_8077.JPG

I disconnected the tcase linkage from the shifter. I can manually move the tcase through all the gears (H4,N,L4) by hand using the linkage. It appears I cannot get the lever to go into H4 even with the linkage disconnected.

Disconnect linkage, put the tcase in H4, attempt to reconnect linkage to see where it ends up.

It would appear your mounted incorrectly or you have a bind you can't see.

Disconnect linkage, put the tcase in H4, attempt to reconnect linkage to see where it ends up.

It would appear your mounted incorrectly or you have a bind you can't see.[/QUOT

It would appear your mounted incorrectly or you have a bind you can't see.

I have tried that. The problem is the shift lever is not coming back far enough to clear the shift guide and engage H4.

If I remember correctly I didn't re-install my guide plate on my '78 and never hand an issue. Fyi.

If I remember correctly I didn't re-install my guide plate on my '78 and never hand an issue. Fyi.

I generally don’t reinstall them either. But the plate could not be the source of interference for front to back motion.

Without the guide plate it seems to move great through all gears. I did remove the Fairey OD but don't think that would have any impact.

Is the any adjustment on the shift shaft? Could something have shifted internally to cause the shift shaft to not come out as far?
IMG_8077.JPG
I generally don’t reinstall them either. But the plate could not be the source of interference for front to back motion.

With the high / low selector disconnected and the guide plate removed, can you hear / feel a positive engagement when shifting between 4wd and 2wd ?.......The mechanism works on a detent system and is either in or out.

This pics shows the spring loaded detent ball and the two corresponding notches.

P1050700.JPG

Last edited:
If #21 is installed backwards that would allow it not to fully shift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom