My dilemma- keep current wheel set up and buy 1 spare or buy 5 new wagon wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
4AADF7D7-7F25-49A4-BAED-1186F01E92BD.jpeg
DB817ABD-D4E7-405E-AD26-E780D5870AFC.jpeg
I previously posted about the current wheel set up for my rig here: Couple questions about wheels, and axles on my rig

After a little research, I found that to add a spare it will cost me as much buying a new set of 5 Jackman-style wagon wheels. To get a matching spare, it’s $290 (used wheel-$55 delivered, chemically stripping the polyurethane coating-$55, powder coating-$125, plus a spacer for my rack if needed-$55). If I were to decide to replace my current set up and get 5 new wagon wheels from Summit Racing, it would cost me $285 delivered. In either case, I’m buying a new spare tire. Given that the cost is equal, I can’t decide if I want a more traditional wagon wheel look or keep it as is with just adding a spare. What would you do in my case? One thing I didn’t factor into the equation is that I could sell my 4 Enkei wheels, but doubt it would fetch anything more than couple hundred max. Also, for now, I’d use the current size tire and once they wear out, I’d want to get 33x10.5x15 Mud Terrain tires. I’m thinking the wagon wheels would tuck in better inside the wells, especially in 7” as opposed to 8” width to give the “tall skinny” look with the 33s. Do most of you all with wagon wheels run the 15x8? It seems like that’s the case.

Anyhoo, here is another pic of my rig with the current wheels. What say ye? TIA!

I like the wagon wheel look myself. I think the 33x10.5 calls for a 8" rim. I run 12" w/wheels on mine but I have 12.5 tires.

Sounds like you could sell the old for what the new cost. Good deal.

I like the wagon wheel look myself. I think the 33x10.5 calls for a 8" rim. I run 12" w/wheels on mine but I have 12.5 tires.

Chief, USN? As a former AD Navy bubba and Air Guard/Air Force Reserve man, I salute you!

Thanks for the info about the 8” width requirement for the 33 tires. I would’ve felt so stupid not being able to opt for the bigger tires when the time comes.

The only one who can answer what you will like is you. Personally, I like both so it all comes down to what you actually prefer and like best, classic look vs. contemporary look. It really is that simple.

I went with 4WheelParts, on one of their tax free weekends... they paid the tax.

I only bought 4 wheels and 4 tires... I have 5 spares (wheels and tires).

I didn’t feel the need for a matching spare... my Trasheroo covers most of the spare anyway and most of my driving is off road.

Here’s what I have and what I paid, in May, 2016... you can see the wheels better on their webpage:

Qty 4 Wheels: PCW 51-5883S3.5 69.99 0.00 279.96
15X8 6X5.5/ 3.5BS

Qty 4 Tires: BFG 98952 175.49 0.00 701.96
31X10.50R15 M/T T/A KM2

673D98D5-5778-4EE2-B064-1D115553C399.jpeg

I went with 4WheelParts, on one of their tax free weekends... they paid the tax.

I only bought 4 wheels and 4 tires... I have 5 spares (wheels and tires).

I didn’t feel the need for a matching spare... my Trasheroo covers most of the spare anyway and most of my driving is off road.

Here’s what I have and what I paid, in May, 2016... you can see the wheels better on their webpage:

Qty 4 Wheels: PCW 51-5883S3.5 69.99 0.00 279.96
15X8 6X5.5/ 3.5BS

Qty 4 Tires: BFG 98952 175.49 0.00 701.96
31X10.50R15 M/T T/A KM2

View attachment 1639016

Sweet rig and pic! Where was it taken?

Thanks!!

Parked at the top of the road to Joe May "trailhead", in the Desert National Wildlife Refuge, altitude ~5k'... In the Sheep Mountains, looking toward the Spring Mountains, northwest of Las Vegas, NV.

Add $200 to your $285 - now you can get stock steelies. :)

Where do I find stock steelies? Other than a Toyota dealer....which I’ve heard is hit and miss as far as what they will charge you for it. Also, if it is from a place like Summit or 4WheelParts, do I need to get the center cap separately? Are there some steelies sold at these places that doesn’t have a hinge or pin for the center caps? I think I read some posts about steelies that didn’t have what was required to place the center cap on the wheel. I’ll have to do a search for that to read it again...

Norwalk Toyota online has em cheap. I’ll get you the part number.

42601-60072 “Wheel Sub-Assembly Disc”

Last edited:
Chief, USN? As a former AD Navy bubba and Air Guard/Air Force Reserve man, I salute you!

Thanks for the info about the 8” width requirement for the 33 tires. I would’ve felt so stupid not being able to opt for the bigger tires when the time comes.

Plenty of people, myself included, run 33x10.5 on stock steelies that are only 5.5" wide. Some places may refuse to mount the tires, just go to the small mom/pop shops or a truck place.

Plenty of people, myself included, run 33x10.5 on stock steelies that are only 5.5" wide. Some places may refuse to mount the tires, just go to the small mom/pop shops or a truck place.

They refuse for a reason. Just 'cause you can do it does not mean it is a safe thing to do. But, I guess in the end it's your ass, not mine.

They refuse for a reason. Just 'cause you can do it does not mean it is a safe thing to do. But, I guess in the end it's your ass, not mine.

So true. It’s like the moral dilemma- “just because you might have the right to do it, doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do.” But also, a dangerous configuration isn’t only endangering oneself, its endangering others near you. If a 33x10.5x15 tire set up on a 5.5” rim suffers a blow out, it’ll probably be uncontrollable and you could hit another car.

Norwalk Toyota online has em cheap. I’ll get you the part number.

42601-60072 “Wheel Sub-Assembly Disc”

Thanks! But I just read a slew of threads about steelies and I’m assuming the one from Norwalk Toyota is a standard 5.5” width wheel? The more I read about stock steelies, the more I’m leaning away from it since I want to eventually 33s, and as I wrote above, I don’t want to run the risk. Unless of course steelies are available in 7 or 8” widths. But it seems that isn’t the case.

So true. It’s like the moral dilemma- “just because you might have the right to do it, doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do.” But also, a dangerous configuration isn’t only endangering oneself, its endangering others near you. If a 33x10.5x15 tire set up on a 5.5” rim suffers a blow out, it’ll probably be uncontrollable and you could hit another car.

Thanks! But I just read a slew of threads about steelies and I’m assuming the one from Norwalk Toyota is a standard 5.5” width wheel? The more I read about stock steelies, the more I’m leaning away from it since I want to eventually 33s, and as I wrote above, I don’t want to run the risk. Unless of course steelies are available in 7 or 8” widths. But it seems that isn’t the case.

You're on the right track, in terms of thinking ahead to future upgrades / modifications. If your current wheels are working for you, and you can keep them in good shape, then save up to buy the rims / tires that you want, and resell what you have now.

We all love the "look" of our trucks and the wheels / tires / suspension height, etc., but don't let that override the practicality of the driving and adventuring you'll be doing in your truck!

2" lift and no it doesn't hit. Of course the only off roading I do now is if I park it in my yard. Too much work involved to repaint it if damaged. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom