transmission drain plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tlc1995

SILVER Star
Threads
95 Land Cruiser transmission drain plug was cross-threaded so about a year ago I tapped out the drain plug hole and installed a boat that I had in my garage and seem to do fairly well. Doing some work on the truck and was tightening up the drain plug and now I can't get it to torque down. Could I just add some Teflon tape to the plug and see how that would work or should I just get it over size drain plug and retap this and do it once and for all?

I would do it once and for all not something you want to fail

Maybe check with @slow95z or @arcteryx to see how much a replacement pan would be before you go to all the trouble of drilling and tapping what you have.

....I tapped out the drain plug hole and installed a boat that I had in my garage and seem to do fairly well.

I would love to see a boat in a drain plug!! :)

I don't have any 95+ transmissions, they were all bought last year.

Personally, I would either get a replacement pan from a wrecking yard, or I'd just clean it thoroughly and put some JB-Weld on the base of the threads and tighten it up, and then just do all future flushes using the trans cooler hoses.

"Remove and drill and retap..." being the key parts of this operation...

But a new pan would be even better.

I have a 343 I would sell the pan and drain plug off of.

I'd drill out the damaged bung in the old pan, make a new threaded bung on an engine lathe, Tig weld the new bung in pan, buy new drain plug at the dealer. Problem is most Mud members don't have a full machine shop to do a project like this, but I'm lucky, i do.

Now you're just showin' off...

Next time I'm on my way to Sierra Vista...

Next time I'm on my way to Sierra Vista...
Ah yes, Sierra Vista, lived there for 4 years in the early 60's, later on i almost ended up going to Highschool in the town too tough to die, Tombstone.

I didn't live there, but I could see it from where I was...

for a time

You know there actually is a way to replace a drain plug with a drain plug replacement bung there are several

64-28460 drain.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom