Engine suddenly cut off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Strange issue: My LX470's engine suddenly cut off when I was driving around town. Everything, including temp, seems normal. No code. No light went on, and it happened so quick. I immediately restarted the truck and has been no problem.

Background: 1999 LX470 with 67K. Runs perfect from over one year ago when I bought it. Updated all the fluid, and new battery installed.

Don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Vincent

My 98 LC was doing this with a OBD II Bluetooth device and running the "torque" application.
Kept killing the engine.

Checked the air filter and hose. Both are fine. AF was changed when I got the truck. The problem here is dno OBD code. I will try to plug it in the techstream this weekend.

The truck was running fine when it happened. I was making a slight turn and it lost the power steering. I immediately started it again. That's why I did not have time to check on anything when it stalled.

Fuel filter is a possibility. I will need to wait a little bit when I have time to change it. It never hurts to change the fuel filter for a 19 yo truck.

I guess trunk monkey is right. Might need to wait for it to happen again. Problem is I don't DD the truck. Only once a week, or when my kids are back from college.

Fuel pump. mine did the same thing but while doing 70 on the hwy. It would cut out for no reason and I would have to try and restart it while moving. Quickly shift into N, then start it again and then shift to D. Crazy scary in SoCal traffic. Once I replaced the fuel pump, all is good again and never saw that problem again.

It's not that hard as there is a hatch under the back seat with I think 6 screws to reach it on top of the tank. Had mine replaced in about 20 min.

Fuel pump. I am guessing that could be he problem also, however, the truck has only 67K miles. Denso pump should be pretty reliable. I read from somewhere that suggests it might be the fuse box connection. Don't know how to check it though. I might just wait for the next time it happens. Hate to chasing new parts.

Check contact in Efi fuse socket. 98-02 Cruiser have problem with lose contacts that cause occasional no start with telltale sign of no CEL on. This cause my engine die 1 time while running and numerous crank but no start. Fix was ringing an external relay.EFI Relay Bypass Kit (Immobilizer Fix) for UZJ100/LX470

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but wondering if there was ever a resolution here. '06 LX470 with 196k and it's not a DD... drove it today for the first time in a week or two and it cut-off going down the road... shifted to neutral and it restarted without a problem. Got home 2-3 mins later and shifted into reverse to back into the driveway and it shut-off after a slight press of the accelerator pedal.

Both times it re-started without a problem and No codes when I plugged into it. I don't mind throwing a fuel pump in it but wanted to have some certainty that was really the problem so I'm not stuck somewhere. THANKS!!

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but wondering if there was ever a resolution here. '06 LX470 with 196k and it's not a DD... drove it today for the first time in a week or two and it cut-off going down the road... shifted to neutral and it restarted without a problem. Got home 2-3 mins later and shifted into reverse to back into the driveway and it shut-off after a slight press of the accelerator pedal.

Both times it re-started without a problem and No codes when I plugged into it. I don't mind throwing a fuel pump in it but wanted to have some certainty that was really the problem so I'm not stuck somewhere. THANKS!!

I'm having a similar issue, not sure it's EXACTLY the same, as I'm not getting codes either. I believe I'm up to six times that it has died now in a few weeks. It seems totally random, there is no rhyme or reason that I can find.

Thread: 99 LC dies randomly. Pls help.

When my 2001 LX was stalling while applying throttle after coasting down a hill or taking off from a redlight, I did the following steps.

The stall happened about once a month and would start right back up run fine. I figure this is one of the reason the previous owner sold it because it was in great condition.

Also if I am going to guess at a problem, I want to change the maintenance type of items first because I figure eventually they will need to be changed. All this was done over a period of a couple of months:

1.) Replaced the gas cap with an OEM. Still stalling

2.) Took it to my local Toyota dealership. They couldn’t recreate. Still stalling.

3.) Cleaned the throttle body. Still stalling.

4.) Cleaned the MAF sensor. Still stalling.

5.) Ran some injector cleaner. Still stalling.

6.) New air filter. Still stalling.

7.) New fuel filter. Still stalling.

8.) Replaced the MAF sensor with a new Toyota MAF because we installed an used MAF off another Toyota and the problem went away. No more stalling.

The malfunctioning MAF didn’t look old but, it looked like one from an Auto Parts store like AutoZone or Advanced and was slower to respond. Buy only Denso or Toyota products!

Then about 5 months later, I found another problem. The LX after being driven hard for more than a hour would shudder but, never stall like before.

1.) Replaced the fuel pump with a Denso pump. No more shuddering.

I am a firm believer in buying Denso products. They are the company that made a lot OEM stuff for Toyota and you can purchase without the Toyota markup. Just don’t purchase anything from eBay or Amazon’s 3rd party sellers because they have a lot of counterfeits stuff that is almost impossible to visually see a difference in them.

3 years later and after also changing my coil packs, spark plugs and one upstream 02 sensor and my 2001 LX drives just like a brand luxury new car. Just remember just because these things are made to last a long time that doesn’t mean that the electronic parts aren’t 20 years old and need to be replaced even if they don’t throw up any engine codes.

I hope this helps you!

8.) Replaced the MAF sensor with a new Toyota MAF because we installed an used MAF off another Toyota and the problem went away. No more stalling.

The malfunctioning MAF didn’t look old but, it looked like one from an Auto Parts store like AutoZone or Advanced and was slower to respond. Buy only Denso or Toyota products!
Absolutely 100%!!! Sounds like the previous owner got a code for a MAF malfunction and just threw $$$ and parts at it when all it needed was a cleaning. You can even see that type of thinking in the first few posts of this thread; people saying to just replace a part blindly and each person decided it was a different part!

I drove the LX once since my post and it did shut off once again but as before, started right up. I drove it today and it stumbled, cleared up and then a few moments later shut off... only this time - wouldn't start up. The warning lights (CEL, VSC, etc.) work but none of the other dash lights or gauges work - ALL DEAD. I checked what I could sitting in the road but had it towed home to investigate further. Here at the house, Every fuse I can find is good.

My initial theory was the stumble and/or shut-off caused a fuse to blow but I'm beginning to re-think that. Any other thoughts?? Are there any fusible links somewhere to check?

towed.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom