Definitive 200-series Gearing Reference (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
So I had a little time this morning to put together a chart combining transmission gearing of 6-speed vs 8-speed, diff ratios, and tire sizing into an overall gearing reference. Hoping this will be useful for those trying to understand how their changes are going to effect overall gearing of the setup.

lc200trannyratios.JPG

EDIT: Adding additional reference info
Few notes:
1) Yellow and Red denote marginal to poor ratios for the setup
2) Even with 37s, the 8-speed first gear gearing is better than the stock 6-speed gearing with 31s!
3) The 8-speed has a huge gearing span. With an ultra low first gear enough to tug anything stock. This would also benefit crawl ratios in low range. 6-speed: 34.1:1, 8-speed: 41.5:1. For comparison: 4Runner 34:1, Wrangler 39:1, Rubicon Wrangler 73:1

gearing.JPG

1647154531364.png

1647154847898.png

Engine RPMs at 55, 65, and 75mph
LCenginerpm.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that up. Good stuff. The one thing I might suggest to add is a vehicle speed column. Most people can relate to situations where they were having trouble holding a gear at a certain speed and how a different ratio would help/hurt that situation.

200 Gearing.JPG

Last edited:
Fantastic info. For reference I'm assuming you're using the delta in dire diameter for your equation?

Yes, delta tire diameter to original tire size.

Great suggestion @OregonLC. It'd be a slightly different context but a useful way to look at the data too. I'll add it to my to do list.

Yes, delta tire diameter to original tire size.

Great suggestion @OregonLC. It'd be a slightly different context but a useful way to look at the data too. I'll add it to my to do list.

If you want to PM me your email, I'll be happy to send you over my source file so you don't have to re-create the wheel and you can take it from there.

7th gear on the AE80H looks off. I didn't do the math but would expect it to be 0.712 or 0.721 not 0.217...

Curious, how do you determine which cells are yellow or red?

Being selfish I wish there was a column for 34's, but I can do the approximation and overall this is really nice.

Thanks for catching the error. Fixored.

In regards to yellow/red, it's based on anecdotal information reading these forums, my own experience tuning cars with tranny and rear end swaps along with my 33's hauling different loads, and percentage difference from the baseline stock setup.

That last point, of percentage difference from stock setup is probably the most useful reference. Looking at the 6-speed with stock 3rd member and going from 31s to 35s... The gearing changes by over ~12%. That's a pretty huge gearing change. 1st gear will certainly be challenged, and 6th gear would be pretty compromised on the highway. The 5.7s got some good oomph to compensate, but you'll definitely notice a loss of gearing, and be putting the motor into some high load fueling maps (i.e. bad mpg).

Thanks @OregonLC for the recommendation. Adding additional data views to my first post.

@TeCKis300 can you add a 5.29 column? I really just want to see 1st and 6th with 35s.

@TeCKis300 can you add a 5.29 column? I really just want to see 1st and 6th with 35s.
If anyone ever finds a 9.5” 5.29 gear set... let me know! That would solve not having to replace the rear axle for my future project.

What is the ratio of the transfer case? And while I’m at it what model is it?

Ah, this thread was from awhile ago. I tried to dig it up the original excel files to extend per the requests, but unfortunately that file is gone with an old computer.

What is the ratio of the transfer case? And while I’m at it what model is it?

JF2A with a 2.62:1 low range ratio

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

This is a real comparison tool for anyone’s use.

Remember though, tire size changes are only part of the equation. These modern 4x4s are more aerodynamic than ever before.

Which is why for example a 2008-2015 US spec 3.9:1 gear ratio, would make some people think that 4.3:1 would be a good new ration if going to 33 inch tires. But that ratio doesn’t take into account a lift, a winch bumper that drags significantly more, high rolling resistant off road oriented tires, and so on.

Also, and this, like most things is my opinion. The 5.7L doesn’t have any problems accelerating and cruising around at 55 mph with stock gearing. It’s the 75 mph highway speeds with a built 200, where unlocking the torque converter in top gear or down shifting is killing fuel economy and building a ton of drivetrain heat. So gearing for the highway is what matter most. Does having a lower drawl ratio help? Yep, but it’s not as significant as it’s been lead on to with the US 200 specifically. My built 200 pre and post 4.88 gears wheeled almost the same, the 4.88s do help. But not thousands of dollars worth of expense to get to them, helped, know what I mean?

But for highway available power, and drivetrain protection from excessive heat built up, that’s what re-gearing really is for when you have 400 ft lbs of torquessssss!

Ah, this thread was from awhile ago. I tried to dig it up the original excel files to extend per the requests, but unfortunately that file is gone with an old computer.

JF2A with a 2.62:1 low range ratio

Thanks for looking! I was idly curious is all. Pretty well settled on 4.88, now trying to decide if I should DIY or get professional help. The answer is professional help I’m sure, but YouTube makes it look so easy . . .

Would you recommend re-gearing for running
35-12.50/18 KO2(34.5” actual size)

^ 6-speed or 8-speed?

6-speed - IMO, yes, re-gear. I'm tempted to go to 35s and re-gear with 4.3s.

8-speed - IMO, no. Overall gearing in lower gears is already similar to the 6-speed with 4.88s. Then use sport mode in S7 to limit the transmission to 7th gear. Still 7-speeds, with a better spread and gearing than a 6-speed cruiser with stock tires.

^ 6-speed or 8-speed?

6-speed - IMO, yes, re-gear. I'm tempted to go to 35s and re-gear with 4.3s.

8-speed - IMO, no. Overall gearing in lower gears is already similar to the 6-speed with 4.88s. Then use sport mode in S7 to limit the transmission to 7th gear. Still 7-speeds, with a better spread and gearing than a 6-speed cruiser with stock tires.

Sorry, I should have stated it was for a 2019 LC I’m looking at buying. It has those size tires on it already

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom