1968 smog pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im trying to gather all the original equipment for my 8/68. Im seeing that some came with a smog pump. Were these just on the CA and Federal emissions vehicles, or were they standard on all built from 1968-3/69? Thanks in advance for the replies!

Early experts...any knowledge on the 68 having an air pump standard?

Hey @gurskey ,

Yes Your truck came with a Air Pump from The factory , Providing Its a USA Spec. Vehical

Air Pumps were introduced to the F Engine in 9/67

DSCN5814.JPG
DSCN5819.JPG

Im trying to gather all the original equipment for my 8/68. Im seeing that some came with a smog pump. Were these just on the CA and Federal emissions vehicles, or were they standard on all built from 1968-3/69? Thanks in advance for the replies!

BTW , Did U mount your New Plate yet ?

Thanks Matt. No I didn’t mount the plate yet. Im saving that for the very end...whenever that is. Looks awesome though.

....if they all had smog pumps starting then, why do both of the 60031 heads I have , have no ports for the air rail to plug into? They are not plugged either, they are just not drilled at all. Seems like there may have been no smog pump or air injection from 69 to ? Am I missing something, is it just the CA 40s that had the emissions stuff this early?

my 12/68 has this on the DS fender. Also a controller up under the dash
20180221_134639.jpg

Hey @gurskey ,

Yes Your truck came with a Air Pump from The factory , Providing Its a USA Spec. Vehical

Air Pumps were introduced to the F Engine in 9/67

View attachment 1638562 View attachment 1638563

@lcwizard had a 68 FJ55 with a air pump. My 9/67 FJ40 did not have any sign of a air pump when I bought it in 74. It is a 68 model with the changes for 68. Curious if the previous page you posted show a listing for just a belt. I do not believe the air pump was on all Land Cruisers in the US market from 9/69 on. When I use to take my 68 thru emissions they never looked for a air pump.

My "69" 5/68 build date, also had no sign of a air pump or any other kind of smog equipment.
JP

@lcwizard had a 68 FJ55 with a air pump. My 9/67 FJ40 did not have any sign of a air pump when I bought it in 74. It is a 68 model with the changes for 68. Curious if the previous page you posted show a listing for just a belt. I do not believe the air pump was on all Land Cruisers in the US market from 9/69 on. When I use to take my 68 thru emissions they never looked for a air pump.

Take Note of My Book Above , The Land Cruiser F Engine's Air Pump Belt's Application / Introduction 6709-6901 , then

NO Air Pump Belt Again Till 7209-Later ,

So I interpret That as Between 6902-7208 A USA Spec FJ40 & FJ55 Did Not have / come with Air Pumps :poof::poof::poof::poof:

Is This a possible Explanation ? o_O

Last edited:
....if they all had smog pumps starting then, why do both of the 60031 heads I have , have no ports for the air rail to plug into? They are not plugged either, they are just not drilled at all. Seems like there may have been no smog pump or air injection from 69 to ? Am I missing something, is it just the CA 40s that had the emissions stuff this early?

Did ALL Smog / Air Pumps Use / have a Air Injection rail & ports on / in the cylinder head itself ?
or
Was there a Early F Engine version that used a single reed type valve or entered the intake or carb / air cleaner box some how ?

The Correct Facts to this Question would suggest the answer to a Air Pump itself ......o_O

More Possible facts to add to the Smog / Air Pump Question @gurskey Needs Answers on ...........:poof::poof::poof:

- This is a USA Spec. 1967 Model Year Dealership paper parts cataloger BooK ( Publication #93658-67 ) for FJ40L-A & FJ40LV-A

( This is Not A repair / service manual )

DSCN5827.JPG
DSCN5828.JPG
DSCN5831.JPG
DSCN5832.JPG
DSCN5833.JPG

The 67-68 Land Cruiser Owner's Manual includes some discussion of the Air Pump on pages 35-36, in the section titled Toyota Manifold Air Injection System (If installed).

P1010983.JPG

P1010984.JPG

From this manual.
P1010985.JPG

Interesting your diagram shows a hose connecting to the air cleaner. I have not seen the second fitting on a one barrel paper element air cleaner. The over fitting is for the positive crankcase ventilation system. It provided filtered air for what was being drawn out of the crankcase thru the PCV valve then into the intake manifold.

Take Note of SST #'s A & H

(note: this is out of the same 1967 Parts Cataloger as above )

DSCN5836.JPG
DSCN5837.JPG

Interesting your diagram shows a hose connecting to the air cleaner. I have not seen the second fitting on a one barrel paper element air cleaner. The over fitting is for the positive crankcase ventilation system. It provided filtered air for what was being drawn out of the crankcase thru the PCV valve then into the intake manifold.

Does The Presence of 2 Service ports on top of this 1967 Air cleaner Box shed any light ?

( Note : there is only 1 kind / option of air kleaner box in the 1967 parts cataloger )

DSCN5840.JPG
DSCN5841.JPG

my 12/68 has this on the DS fender. Also a controller up under the dashView attachment 1638777

My 3/1969 also has this Vacuum Switching Valve and NO air pump at all. And I know it never had one from purchase. Perhaps Toyota really did not need them with a VSV and transistorized drive of it. ? Then in 1972 emissions may have gotten tighter as they do ? Just a guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom