Battery Replacment Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found this, someone would need to confirm it, the first 2 years look OK............
It says, for the True Start:
* 84 month service replacement warranty
* Years 1-2: 100% of parts, service and towing
* Years 3-4: 50% of TrueStart MSRP
* Years 5-7: 25% of TrueStart MSRP
EDIT: You just posted price, $89 is a better comparison

The factory OEM battery was probably a Hi-Dash!

TexasJack: assumed you load tested your battery to confirm.

You may already know this: the anti-theft system uses a low amp constant draw current. I searched here on mud and the consensus was that 1-2 month of non use would drain down the battery to no start condition.

This has be verified (numerous times) by me as my rig is a driveway paperweight (did I say 4 cars for a 2 person family...).

TexasJack: assumed you load tested your battery to confirm.

You may already know this: the anti-theft system uses a low amp constant draw current. I searched here on mud and the consensus was that 1-2 month of non use would drain down the battery to no start condition.

This has be verified (numerous times) by me as my rig is a driveway paperweight (did I say 4 cars for a 2 person family...).

Good point. I do plan to check it. We are a 3 car / 2 person family and we both work at home so the 80 gets very little road time. I am betting my Clifford Security System drained it down. I meant to take it out for a drive but I washed it with the intent of performing my post-hunting season detailing session. We haven't had any weekend days where the weather was right for detailing and I had availability so it sat for too long! I'll have to set reminders on my calendar going forward to ensure this doesn't happen again!

Resurrecting an old thread here....

Battery needs replacement. Read through the suggestions here and called the local dealership. Was quoted $167 (installed). Yikes. Time to look elsewhere.

I got a 27F Bosch from Pep boys for $107 a couple weeks ago. Fits like a glove and it works. No idea about long term durability but it has a 36-mo no-questions-asked swap, and 96mo prorated.

I think I paid $99 (before taxes) for my 27F TrueStart (not the cheaper True-2) from a dealer by me for my old 4Runner. That's from the parts department though, not from the service department.

Interstate 27F from Costco for $89.99. 3yr warranty if memory serves me correct.

I got a 27F Bosch from Pep boys for $107 a couple weeks ago. Fits like a glove and it works. No idea about long term durability but it has a 36-mo no-questions-asked swap, and 96mo prorated.

I think it is all about location. Just looked at Pep Boys web site and they do not even have Bosch

Resurrecting an old thread here....

Battery needs replacement. Read through the suggestions here and called the local dealership. Was quoted $167 (installed). Yikes. Time to look elsewhere.
That doesn’t sound like a bad deal to me. The OEM battery is made by Interstate if I’m not mistaken.

OEM battery is made by Panasonic. Costco 27F is a Interstate Megatron Plus so it's the same as a Toyota TrueStart (at least here in SoCal). If you have a Costco membership, that is the way to go! It looks like the Costco 24F is a custom made battery for Costco, it doesn't match the specs for the Megatron or Megatron Plus.

The original OEM battery was a Panasonic. The new OEM replacements appear to be a relabeled Interstate. I replaced my battery not too long ago and had a difficult time finding a replacement 27F. Costco said they didn't have them nor would they order one. I paid at least $150 for an Interstate MTP-27F at my local Goodyear and it looked identical to the OEM Lexus battery it replaced.

@Hokie LX
@TLC Dan
@geanes

Would you guys still recommend the Napa 49 battery? I noticed you guys installed the regular version of this battery, not the AGM one. Did you do that for more RC? Have you had any terminal corrosion? I'm not sure if I want the 160RC AGM version (to match the oem 160RC) or the 185RC regular version for more capacity. I have AGM's in my other 2 DD's but thinking of more RC's would be better for the 100. I do keep my batteries topped off with a CTEK charger. Thanks!

I have this in my front bay and it’s holding up well, paid 150 for it and got a 20$ gift card. Came with a really durable spacer tray to accommodate for the shorter height

@Pucker5

Thanks! I'm planning on putting in the biggest/easy to find/no mods necessary battery. It looks like these Napa Legend 49's (Deka's) meet these criteria. I guess we're lucky the 49 size battery are in lots of MB's, BMW's, delivery trucks and from what i've read some industrial equipment. Now my overthinking self just needs to narrow it down to the regular flooded 49 with 185RC or the AGM with 160RC. I just ordered the Odyssey 34 to 27 spacer, hopefully it's the right size to get the 49 up higher for the tie down for a better fit.

@Pucker5

Thanks! I'm planning on putting in the biggest/easy to find/no mods necessary battery. It looks like these Napa Legend 49's (Deka's) meet these criteria. I guess we're lucky the 49 size battery are in lots of MB's, BMW's, delivery trucks and from what i've read some industrial equipment. Now my overthinking self just needs to narrow it down to the regular flooded 49 with 185RC or the AGM with 160RC. I just ordered the Odyssey 34 to 27 spacer, hopefully it's the right size to get the 49 up higher for the tie down for a better fit.
I have a big 31 agm in the back so I was just looking for a quick drop in that wasn’t going to give me issues. That big connection apparatus on for the things off the batter had me giggin and I didn’t know if I would run into hiccups connecting things to the terminals since
The heads on that 49 are seemingly recessed. Good luck

@Hokie LX
@TLC Dan
@geanes

Would you guys still recommend the Napa 49 battery? I noticed you guys installed the regular version of this battery, not the AGM one. Did you do that for more RC? Have you had any terminal corrosion? I'm not sure if I want the 160RC AGM version (to match the oem 160RC) or the 185RC regular version for more capacity. I have AGM's in my other 2 DD's but thinking of more RC's would be better for the 100. I do keep my batteries topped off with a CTEK charger. Thanks!

I still like my Legend 75 series 49 battery. Had the fridge plugged in for several months and running. I drive daily and have not experienced any failure. Lowest I've seen on my Scangauge was 12.9 after overnight running. When the day comes to swap it out, I'll probably bite the bullet and got Series31 AGM for peace of mind.

I still like my Legend 75 series 49 battery. Had the fridge plugged in for several months and running. I drive daily and have not experienced any failure. Lowest I've seen on my Scangauge was 12.9 after overnight running. When the day comes to swap it out, I'll probably bite the bullet and got Series31 AGM for peace of mind.
Thanks for the reply! Did you type the Scangauge overnight voltage wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom